The Student Room Group

British Student Jailed For Slapping Sleeping Woman With Penis.

"A student has been jailed for slapping a sleeping woman in the face with his penis while his friend filmed the indecent act on his phone."

"John Luke Dale, a 21-year-old criminology undergraduate who dreamt of being a solicitor, was sentenced to nine months imprisonment after admitting sexual assault."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/22/student-jailed-slapping-sleeping-woman-face-penis_n_6032974.html

I'm not at all condoning his actions, but does this reaction seem a little harsh to you? Street thugs and arsonists get less time. Some aren't even jailed. It was unpleasant, for sure, but being locked away for nine months and having your life ruined over a crude prank? It seems like overkill. The video wasn't even published (which may have been cause for harsher legal action, although it would also be a separate crime).

"So what are you guys in for?"
"I stabbed an old lady."
"I held up a convenience store and stole a car"
"I got drunk one night and slapped somebody with my penis...."

This stuff happens in fraternities and sleepovers on a daily basis. But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again.

EDIT: It appears everyone is rather split on the issue. A lot of you appear to feel nine months in prison (on top of compensation already paid to her and his removal from the university) is proportional punishment. I'd hate to think what you'd prescribe if he drew on her too. Life? Death by hanging? Guantanamo?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How would you feel if someone slapped you in the face with their penis? You're so concerned about his life, what about the woman who was assaulted?

If he is so worried about his future career, he should have thought about it before he did that. Disgusting. That isn't a 'prank'. People need to stop throwing that word around like its a 'get out of trouble-card' that makes up for assaulting someone. Would he even serve the entire 9 months in jail? Whatever, I think it's appropriate. Should give him enough time to think about life and penis-related things.
(edited 9 years ago)
You (general you) can't just put your genitalia in someone's face without their permission. That's assault, and should have consequences. If, as you say, "this stuff happens in fraternities and sleepovers on a daily basis", that's a real problem!

The woman is not responsible for this man serving some time. He is. He should have kept his bits in his pants, or found someone awake and willing to share them with.
Reply 3
Very harsh, just being a lad.. no need to waste a cell on him. If a girl slapped me round the face with her boob I'd feel very special and honured tbh. Dont get women atall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend once was slapped by a woman with her boob while he was asleep. When he told the police about it they just laughed.
What an ass. A vile act.
I would say he threw away his career but its of no loss if this jerk, while studying criminology, didnt realise the seriousness of his actions.
For all that, there is no way a woman rubbing her fangina on some sleeping mans face, while being filmed for a laugh, would go to prison for it, and we all know it.
Personally I don't think this should be classified as sexual assault. The act wasn't sexual, it was a prank. It's the difference between accidentally brushing someones butt and deliberately touching them there. It's the sexual intent that makes it sexual assault and that clearly was not present in this case.
Well, he's in the right place. More cock waving than you could shake a : : dick at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the moral panic of the 10s. Maybe the train shouldn't have been barrelling so recklessly down the tracks, but he was still the one who decided to step in front of it.
Reply 9
Original post by green.tea
Personally I don't think this should be classified as sexual assault. The act wasn't sexual, it was a prank. It's the difference between accidentally brushing someones butt and deliberately touching them there. It's the sexual intent that makes it sexual assault and that clearly was not present in this case.

Or if an act by its nature is inherently sexual.
Original post by Clip
Or if an act by its nature is inherently sexual.

So you're suggesting that because it involves a penis it must be inherently sexual? If that were the case doctors would all be guilty of assaulting their patients. Granted they have a more sensible reason. But a reason being daft doesn't make it any more sexual.
The guys a complete moron obviously but he shouldn't have been given a jail term, he should just be made to pay compensation to the women, given community service helping victims of sex abuse or something.
If the victim was a man, would the student still have gone to prison? Almost certainly not.
Original post by green.tea
So you're suggesting that because it involves a penis it must be inherently sexual? If that were the case doctors would all be guilty of assaulting their patients. Granted they have a more sensible reason. But a reason being daft doesn't make it any more sexual.

Except that doctors are given permission by their patients to examine them.

If you went to see a doctor about an eye problem and he stuck his hand down your trousers and felt your wang, then that would be sexual assault.
Original post by SophiaLDN
How would you feel if someone slapped you in the face with their penis? You're so concerned about his life, what about the woman who was assaulted?

If he is so worried about his future career, he should have thought about it before he did that. Disgusting. That isn't a 'prank'. People need to stop throwing that word around like its a 'get out of trouble-card' that makes up for assaulting someone. Would he even serve the entire 9 months in jail? Whatever, I think it's appropriate. Should give him enough time to think about life and penis-related things.

The guy deserved punishment, but 9 months in prison is completely disproportionate. A fine would have been more appropriate in my opinion.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
My friend once was slapped by a woman with her boob while he was asleep. When he told the police about it they just laughed.

your friend needs counselling and a support group to help him with his survivor trauma. the effects may take years or decades to emerge. he should seek financial redress from his assailant to pay for the extensive professional services he will need for the rest of his life.
It was sexual assault, he got what he deserved :dontknow:

Interesting path to his desired career (Criminology BSc > Solicitor) I must say
Original post by Kittiara
You (general you) can't just put your genitalia in someone's face without their permission. That's assault, and should have consequences. If, as you say, "this stuff happens in fraternities and sleepovers on a daily basis", that's a real problem!

The woman is not responsible for this man serving some time. He is. He should have kept his bits in his pants, or found someone awake and willing to share them with.

This reasoning can be used to justify any punishment of any kind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doctor_Einstein

That is such an obvious lie.
Original post by TurboCretin
This reasoning can be used to justify any punishment of any kind.

Besides, nobody is blaming the woman in this scenario, that's a complete straw man.

"But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again."

That sounds like blame to me, his poor life will never be the same again, poor bloke.

I'm pretty shocked that firstly you guys thinking slapping an individual around the face with your dicks is acceptable because it's lad behaviour. And secondly I'm shocked that you think that sort of behaviour should go unpunished.

You all need to grow up, and learn that actions have consequences.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending