The Student Room Group

A-Levels & Btecs

I'm in year 11, and I am looking to go to Northampton College next year.
I currently do Humanities, Media, Business & IT for GCSE.

I wanted to know the difference between doing A-Levels & Btecs.
How many A-Levels can I pick, and how many Btecs.

What are disadvantages and advantages of doing them?

I want to do courses that involve Media, Photography and maybe IT.

Scroll to see replies

A-levels have exams and occasionally a little bit of coursework. BTECs are all coursework.

You can pick 3 A-levels, and an AS.
BTECs are slightly different. Some BTECs are worth 1 AS, others are worth 3 A-levels. It depends on what your local sixth forms offer.

The advantages of BTECs are that there are no exams, so if you struggle with exams then BTECs are the better choice. However, some universities look down on BTECs, and they could ask for higher equivalents in their conditional offer. The coursework load is also massive - I did a GCSE level BTEC and there was just so much coursework to do, I completely burnt out.

Media, Photography and IT are all available as A-levels and BTECs, however all of the A-levels have huge coursework components anyway. I do A-level Media Studies and the coursework is 50% of the A-level, and it takes a couple of months to complete.
Reply 2
Okay so are you recommending choosing three A-Levels over just one BTEC? I am looking to go to University.

I've doubled checked, and the college that I want to go to does not do IT for an A-Level. They definitely do Photography & Media Studies though. What are my other options then?

As you said you do A-Level Media Studies, would you know if it would be helpful to buy a Mac to do my work on. The college I want to go to all use iMacs to do work on, so would it help me to buy my own Mac? Also, would it help me to buy a good quality DSLR camera?

Thanks for the help. I've tried emailing the college but they seem to be no help what so ever.

-Adam
Original post by adam_almond
x

(quote me next time by pressing "reply" on the bottom of my post - I won't see your reply otherwise)

In most cases, 3 A-levels is definitely better than a BTEC, but this varies from person to person.

If they don't offer IT, then you don't really have other options. If they offer Computing, you could take that instead, but I doubt they are similar subjects (Computing = coding, IT = using a computer). Take whatever other subjects look interesting to you. If you want to go into designing and things like that, see if they do Art Graphics or Graphic Communications or Media and Communications - it's a case of just researching what the college does.

I did audiovisual coursework (so I had to make two film trailers) for my AS, and I don't own a Mac (I did all of AS with a six-year-old laptop that still ran Windows XP), nor do I own a camera (DSLR or otherwise) that has video capabilities. The only thing I used that the school didn't provide was a tripod which I had bought some years earlier.
Unless you want to buy a Mac anyway, it's not really worth shelling out for the sake of a few weeks worth of coursework (and the school will probably ask you to use an advanced editing program such as Final Cut Pro which is an additional £200).
However, judging by a friend who did Photography, if you can afford a DSLR for it, that'd probably help. It allows you to get used to your own camera, and so you can use the settings to their full effect.
Reply 4
Sorry for not quoting you, just fingering out how to use this website haha.

In the prospectus I ordered it states that in your work you will you iMac's with industry standard software including Final Cut Pro. As I believe that Final Cut Pro is only for Apple Macs, it would be extremely helpful for me to buy a Mac and this programme, so I can practise and teach myself how to use it. Once I am in college, I want to volunteer to film and edit non profit informational videos and advertisements for charitable organisations. I would need knowledge of how to use a editing programme such as Final Cut Pro to complete this task.
Overall, buying a Mac will be useful, but not essential although it would probably help in the long run. Same goes for a DSLR camera. Helpful but not essential.

Thank you for the help. I think I now have a stronger and broader range of information regarding Post 16 courses.
x

Final Cut Pro is a doddle to learn. I used FCP in Year 12, and provided you have a basic understanding of Photoshop colour editing skills (Levels, Unsharp Mask, things like that), it doesn't take more than a couple of hours to learn. I don't know how much stuff you plan to do out of school, but you'll be using it for a maximum of about three weeks for coursework (the majority of work time is on planning, filming and your essay afterwards).
Reply 6
I go to Northampton College! I am doing a level 3 BTEC, it is so much work however the lessons are really good and exciting and all the teachers have so much experience in the industry. Not exactly relevant I know but just wanted to let you know how much of a good college it is!
Reply 7
Original post by GekoFan
X

Hello,

Could you please tell me that for your course do you use Macs of Windows PCs in your lessons? If you use Macs, what programs do you use? Do you think it would be helpful to buy a Mac for your work? And, possibly a DSLR camera to gain experience for you shooting and editing your own clips?

Really excited to start Northampton College next in September!

Thanks,
-Adam
Reply 8
Hello,

Could you please tell me that for your course do you use Macs of Windows PCs in your lessons? If you use Macs, what programs do you use? Do you think it would be helpful to buy a Mac for your work? And, possibly a DSLR camera to gain experience for you shooting and editing your own clips?

Really excited to start Northampton College next in September!

Thanks,
-Adam

Well for my course we hardly ever use technology, but when we do we use tablets. However, I know if you do media or IT or related courses you do use Macs because that department has rooms full of them. Sorry I'm not much help but I am doing a care course so it is completely different!
Reply 9
Original post by GekoFan
x

I am sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you said that you are doing a Level 3 BTEC in Media.
I think I would like to purchase a MacBook Pro to help me write things like essays and do research, but also so I can learn and teach myself the programs that they use in school, and what the professionals use also. I think I would also want to get a DSLR camera so I can get to grips and learn the basics of using a camera like that, I could also use it for high quality videos that I could then edit on my MacBook.

As you said you go to Northampton College, would you please be able to explain how the Enrichment program works? Like, what exactly is it? How many different things can you pick? What do you do in the Enrichment program and what do you learn? Which would you reccomend to pick?

Also, I go to Caroline Chisholm and live in the Wootton area so I would have to get a bus to and from the college? Would you know if I would get a bus pass for free?

Thank you for the help.
-Adam
I am sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you said that you are doing a Level 3 BTEC in Media.
I think I would like to purchase a MacBook Pro to help me write things like essays and do research, but also so I can learn and teach myself the programs that they use in school, and what the professionals use also. I think I would also want to get a DSLR camera so I can get to grips and learn the basics of using a camera like that, I could also use it for high quality videos that I could then edit on my MacBook.

As you said you go to Northampton College, would you please be able to explain how the Enrichment program works? Like, what exactly is it? How many different things can you pick? What do you do in the Enrichment program and what do you learn? Which would you reccomend to pick?

Also, I go to Caroline Chisholm and live in the Wootton area so I would have to get a bus to and from the college? Would you know if I would get a bus pass for free?

Thank you for the help.
-Adam

The enrichment program basically entails extra curricular activities that you can do alongside your course completely free. The ones you can do will depend entirely on your timetable you're given.

The offer a wide range of activities including; First Aid, Dancing, Photography, Dance, Music and many others :smile:

Regarding a bus pass they do provide them completely free if you're legible for the pass that is. Just be warned the buses in the morning are a complete nightmare! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Binary Freak
x

Is the Enrichment Program compulsory? I don't want to waste my time doing something that I'm not specifically interested in.
Is the Enrichment Program compulsory? I don't want to waste my time doing something that I'm not specifically interested in.

No they're optional! If they were mandatory I would've transferred at the start of second year to some other college! :smile:

What course(s) are you interested in doing? :smile:
Reply 13
x

I wanted to do courses that involve Media, Photography and IT. I want to become a video editor, and make my own short films and documentaries.
I thought you could choose 3 BTEC courses but you can only choose one.
I haven't got an exact idea in what I want to choose just yet, but I think I want to pick the A-Level route, and do Media & Photography. I don't know what I want as my third choice yet though. I wanted to do IT, but they don't do A-Level IT at Northampton College :frown:.
I wanted to do courses that involve Media, Photography and IT. I want to become a video editor, and make my own short films and documentaries.
I haven't got an exact idea in what I want to choose just yet, but I think I want to pick the A-Level route, and do Media & Photography. I don't know what I want as my third choice yet though. I wanted to do IT, but they don't do A-Level IT at Northampton College :frown:.

Personally I'd go with the A-level route! Doing BTECs at that place is a nightmare! Then again they're one of the few places that actually cared about maintaining the standards. I can only speak on behalf of the IT course though. But I'm sure it is the same throughout.

If you want to though you could try asking one of the course leaders in IT about whether you can do the BTEC certificate as your third choice? To be fair, the amount of crap they put on Moodle I would be surprised if they decline. :smile:

Hope you figure that third choice out though, shamefully they don't really offer a wide variety of A-levels:s-smilie:

Trust me you wouldn't want to do 3 BTEC's unless they were level 1. I do a BTEC at level 3 and it is a full time course. I only get one day off a week so really that gives me time to do my coursework and everything. I would do the BTEC if you are a more of a hands on person. From what I have heard, BTEC photography/media is better as they actually use the cameras and equiptment more, rather in A-level you do get to use it but it is more theory work. I would do the BTEC because I would prefer to learn more about using the technology and actually using it rather than just learning how it works, and possibly only using it a few times.
Reply 16
x

I want to do the A-level route purely because it gets me three qualifications, compared to just the one in the BTEC route. Plus, I want to do Media AND Photography.
Do you actually think it would be possible to do Media A-Level, Photography A-Level, and also do a BTEC in IT? I doubt I would be able to do a Level 3 course though as it is so much work already, with also doing two other A-Levels.
Reply 17
Original post by funkydee19
x

I would want to be more hands on in my work, but this means that if I pick the BTEC route, I can't do Media AND Photography.

In an ideal word I would really want to do Media, Photography, and IT at college, with a mixture of theory, but also plenty of chances for me to pick up a camera, or load one of the programs on the Macs, and have a go at doing practical work.
I would want to be more hands on in my work, but this means that if I pick the BTEC route, I can't do Media AND Photography.

In an ideal word I would really want to do Media, Photography, and IT at college, with a mixture of theory, but also plenty of chances for me to pick up a camera, or load one of the programs on the Macs, and have a go at doing practical work.

Yeah then I would try and do the two A-levels and see if you can get onto the btec certificate as well. However I would recommend that if you are doing A-levels you stick to pure a-levels but either way as long as you get enough UCAS points to get into Uni,that's all that matters. (And ofcourse that you are happy). I wish you all the best with your decision :smile:
I want to do the A-level route purely because it gets me three qualifications, compared to just the one in the BTEC route. Plus, I want to do Media AND Photography.
Do you actually think it would be possible to do Media A-Level, Photography A-Level, and also do a BTEC in IT? I doubt I would be able to do a Level 3 course though as it is so much work already, with also doing two other A-Levels.

I suppose it could be possible! If not then you could always consider Media, Photography, and Film Studies or Creative Writing?

There was a kid on our course that did do a BTEC in IT with a few A-levels done as a private candidate.. Not sure how that worked out for him though.

Also if they decline you for doing the Level 2 then perhaps you can speak to Guy from the IT department and ask him what possibilities there are.. He will probably mention doing the A+ and Net+.. A lot of THE course to my knowledge still follows quite a bit of the CompTIA framework.. Well excluding the programming modules from the ED. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest