The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Art application 2015

My daughter has applied for Art at Lancaster for 2015.

Lancaster ask for an e-portfolio. So far, she hasn't heard anything about getting an account to upload stuff. I just wondered if anyone had any idea when she should hear? I guess it is ages away (eg after Christmas)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by bb193
My daughter has applied for Art at Lancaster for 2015.

Lancaster ask for an e-portfolio. So far, she hasn't heard anything about getting an account to upload stuff. I just wondered if anyone had any idea when she should hear? I guess it is ages away (eg after Christmas)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey again!

I just got mine today and I applied on the 10th of October. I did email them quite soon after about it so they are definitely processing them! :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Artfanatic
Hey again!

I just got mine today and I applied on the 10th of October. I did email them quite soon after about it so they are definitely processing them! :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I'll get her to check her emails tonight to see if she has got hers. Last night was focussed on getting the portfolio and narrative finished off for Ruskin so emails didn't really get any attention. Why is it that printers only ever decide to fail when you really, really need them?!

Do they give any idea on what format they want the e-portfolio and what the deadline for return is?

I'm hoping that it is largely a matter of converting the physical portfolio and narrative already produced into whatever format they ask for, so shouldn't be too onerous. How I wish they could just get together and work out a standard format that they would all accept!
Got an offer from Lancaster today, quite surprised!
Reply 4
Got an offer from Lancaster today, quite surprised!

Congratulations - well done! Number 3 in the league tables for Art & Design - http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Art+%26+Design. You must be pleased?

Are you willing to tell us know what the offer was and if it said anything else (eg is there any sort of visit/interview type thing)?
Reply 5
Come to Lancaster! :biggrin:
Original post by bb193
Congratulations - well done! Number 3 in the league tables for Art & Design - http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Art+%26+Design. You must be pleased?

Are you willing to tell us know what the offer was and if it said anything else (eg is there any sort of visit/interview type thing)?

Thanks! Yes very pleased nice to feel like a lifetime of education might of payed off haha!

I just recieved it through UCAS today: offer of ABB!

Not had any more information come through. Odd how they didn't want to interview me but I am not going to complain! How are your daughters applications coming along?
Original post by vb789
Come to Lancaster! :biggrin:

Hehe definitely considering it! Are you currently studying there if so I have a question!
Reply 8
Thanks! Yes very pleased nice to feel like a lifetime of education might of payed off haha!

I just recieved it through UCAS today: offer of ABB!

Not had any more information come through. Odd how they didn't want to interview me but I am not going to complain! How are your daughters applications coming along?

Well done - you have every right to be very pleased. When you got it through Ucas, did you also get an email - or did you just check track and it was there?

So far the standard 'thanks but no thanks' from Oxford Ruskin - disappointing but not unexpected given no foundation. She has an interview with Reading next week, so we are fighting to get the 'real' portfolio back from Oxford so she can use that - hopefully get it back today. Lancaster have asked for her electronic portfolio which was submitted for the deadline of the 10th (when was yours submitted?) - still waiting for a response. Newcastle and Edinburgh have both asked for e-portfolios, but the deadline is not until January - I think she is aiming to submit before Christmas, but not done yet - possibly waiting for the result of Reading and Lancaster to provide some feedback as to how much change might be needed for those other portfolios. I think she is also thinking of applying to foundation in the new year too - I guess that may depend on what happens in the next few weeks/months. Apart from Oxford and Lancaster, how about you?

One of the things I think is a real shame is the resource that the Google Blogger e-portfolios that Lancaster ask to be submitted feel like they would be a real help to other candidates, now and in the future, for art, particularly if they know how each candidate got on. But TBH, you would have to be mad to submit your portfolio to the internet, because the comments and tirade that would result would just be overwhelming. The few examples that there are just result in unacceptable comments and abuse. It's a real shame.

It is also a shame that the Art schools don't all use that approach and all settle on the same or similar definition of what they want. That way, it would be a lot easier to submit each portfolio (with a small tailoring for each school), allowing students to continue focussing on their study at such an important time, rather than spending quite so much time processing portfolios to slightly different requirements.

Incidentally, that other comment was from my middle daughter, who is at Lancaster studying Natural Sciences in her second year. It is a great uni and well worth a visit and considering as a Firm.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Hehe definitely considering it! Are you currently studying there if so I have a question!

Yep, I'm a 2nd year Natural Sciences student at Lancs so feel free to ask any questions about the uni/town or anything (although I might need to ask around if they're about art!) :biggrin:
I also happen to be another daughter of bb193, so you might be studying with my little sister if you happen to both end up coming here :smile:
Original post by bb193
Well done - you have every right to be very pleased. When you got it through Ucas, did you also get an email - or did you just check track and it was there?

So far the standard 'thanks but no thanks' from Oxford Ruskin - disappointing but not unexpected given no foundation. She has an interview with Reading next week, so we are fighting to get the 'real' portfolio back from Oxford so she can use that - hopefully get it back today. Lancaster have asked for her electronic portfolio which was submitted for the deadline of the 10th (when was yours submitted?) - still waiting for a response. Newcastle and Edinburgh have both asked for e-portfolios, but the deadline is not until January - I think she is aiming to submit before Christmas, but not done yet - possibly waiting for the result of Reading and Lancaster to provide some feedback as to how much change might be needed for those other portfolios. I think she is also thinking of applying to foundation in the new year too - I guess that may depend on what happens in the next few weeks/months. Apart from Oxford and Lancaster, how about you?

One of the things I think is a real shame is the resource that the Google Blogger e-portfolios that Lancaster ask to be submitted feel like they would be a real help to other candidates, now and in the future, for art, particularly if they know how each candidate got on. But TBH, you would have to be mad to submit your portfolio to the internet, because the comments and tirade that would result would just be overwhelming. The few examples that there are just result in unacceptable comments and abuse. It's a real shame.

It is also a shame that the Art schools don't all use that approach and all settle on the same or similar definition of what they want. That way, it would be a lot easier to submit each portfolio (with a small tailoring for each school), allowing students to continue focussing on their study at such an important time, rather than spending quite so much time processing portfolios to slightly different requirements.

Incidentally, that other comment was from my middle daughter, who is at Lancaster studying Natural Sciences in her second year. It is a great uni and well worth a visit and considering as a Firm.

Out of interest what exactly did Oxford respond saying to her. Just interested to if the letter is the exact same as mine or they may have actually gave each candidate a tiny little glimpse of hope by writing each individually. I think I am going to take a year out for foundation as it really has no negatives - its a year to develop art so whats not to like!

I am very happy I got the offer from Lancaster but again I have my heart set elsewhere so I am not entirely sure how I am going to respond. It is only around an hour by car from me so it won't really feel like I am going to University as much as London would (I really love London so its hard not to love UCL and UAL for me)

I am just curious as to what your daughters academic record is? Which Alevels did she take and what is she targeted etc?

In honesty, this rejection from Oxford is probably the best thing to happen to me. I have realized the purpose of the foundation properly and why it is needed. It will probably also help for focusing on subjects this year and hopefully to get the target grades I need this year so next year I can sit back if I do get an offer. Imagine getting an offer from the likes of Oxford of AAA and then messing up your exams and being rejected (that would be worse in my opinion)

Anyway, good luck to your daughter, it would be mega fun if we got to go to Lancaster together! My portfolio was sent on the 3rd of November with the deadline of the 10th also. I got my offer on the 19th! :smile:
Reply 11
Out of interest what exactly did Oxford respond saying to her. Just interested to if the letter is the exact same as mine or they may have actually gave each candidate a tiny little glimpse of hope by writing each individually. I think I am going to take a year out for foundation as it really has no negatives - its a year to develop art so whats not to like!

I am very happy I got the offer from Lancaster but again I have my heart set elsewhere so I am not entirely sure how I am going to respond. It is only around an hour by car from me so it won't really feel like I am going to University as much as London would (I really love London so its hard not to love UCL and UAL for me)

I am just curious as to what your daughters academic record is? Which Alevels did she take and what is she targeted etc?

In honesty, this rejection from Oxford is probably the best thing to happen to me. I have realized the purpose of the foundation properly and why it is needed. It will probably also help for focusing on subjects this year and hopefully to get the target grades I need this year so next year I can sit back if I do get an offer. Imagine getting an offer from the likes of Oxford of AAA and then messing up your exams and being rejected (that would be worse in my opinion)

Anyway, good luck to your daughter, it would be mega fun if we got to go to Lancaster together! My portfolio was sent on the 3rd of November with the deadline of the 10th also. I got my offer on the 19th! :smile:

She showed me the email but I don't have access to it now - she may have deleted it. TBH, from memory, I think it was identical to yours - '250+applicants for 28 places, very competitive. Some interesting things, showed promise, we think you would benefit from a foundation before applying to the Ruskin'.

I have to say I think foundations are on their way out. More and more Unis are offering a course where the first year is effectively a foundation. The council funding for foundations is disappearing fast and by incorporating it into the degree course, the student gets the loan and the uni gets the tuition fees.

Yes, my daughter got her invitation to send her portfolio in on the 3rd, for return on the 10th too. She submitted it on the 9th - when did you submit yours? I'm guessing fairly early to beat the rush? You aren't saying you got it in on the 3rd, are you?

I am biased about all of my daughters and exceptionally proud of every one of them. I do think that Art is an odd course, different from almost all the others, in that the actual AS levels results and even the A2 results don't really contribute that much to the decision. However, you did ask - the ASs she dropped were Chemistry (B - 76% UMS) and Classical Civilisation (A - 89%). For A2, she is taking the following 3, with AS results - Art (A - 100%), English (A - 100%) and Geography (A - 98%). Predicted grades A*A*A*.

Honestly, I do think it is well worth considering the Lancaster offer very hard. It is an excellent university and course. It is worth a shot at Oxbridge - but not worth ruining your life over!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bb193
She showed me the email but I don't have access to it now - she may have deleted it. TBH, from memory, I think it was identical to yours - '250+applicants for 28 places, very competitive. Some interesting things, showed promise, we think you would benefit from a foundation before applying to the Ruskin'.

I have to say I think foundations are on their way out. More and more Unis are offering a course where the first year is effectively a foundation. The council funding for foundations is disappearing fast and by incorporating it into the degree course, the student gets the loan and the uni gets the tuition fees.

Yes, my daughter got her invitation to send her portfolio in on the 3rd, for return on the 10th too. She submitted it on the 9th - when did you submit yours? I'm guessing fairly early to beat the rush? You aren't saying you got it in on the 3rd, are you?

I am biased about all of my daughters and exceptionally proud of every one of them. I do think that Art is an odd course, different from almost all the others, in that the actual AS levels results and even the A2 results don't really contribute that much to the decision. However, you did ask - the ASs she dropped were Chemistry (B - 76% UMS) and Classical Civilisation (A - 89%). For A2, she is taking the following 3, with AS results - Art (A - 100%), English (A - 100%) and Geography (A - 98%). Predicted grades A*A*A*.

Honestly, I do think it is well worth considering the Lancaster offer very hard. It is an excellent university and course. It is worth a shot at Oxbridge - but not worth ruining your life over!

Yes I sent mine the night I got the email just to get it over with!

With the foundation though its an extra year to develop your art practice with people to guide you. Surely this is beneficial not only for increasing your chances at getting into the higher end art unis but also for your future career?

Wow she has a very strong academic record then haha I also got 100% in Art and 99% in Geography how odd haha. Well best of luck on her reply from Lancaster I am sure it will be positive :smile:
Reply 13
Yes I sent mine the night I got the email just to get it over with!

With the foundation though its an extra year to develop your art practice with people to guide you. Surely this is beneficial not only for increasing your chances at getting into the higher end art unis but also for your future career?

Wow she has a very strong academic record then haha I also got 100% in Art and 99% in Geography how odd haha. Well best of luck on her reply from Lancaster I am sure it will be positive :smile:

Oh, well done for beating the rush - no doubt that is how you managed to get such a rapid response. Just on maths, if you put yours in six days before Lucy, and got the reply on the 19th, then maybe a reply might be expected around.... the 25th? Almost certainly not, because no doubt they are facing a massive pile that they are having to deal with :frown:

I do think it depends what you mean by 'higher end'. Lancaster is sitting at number 3 in the tables. So presumably, you are thinking Ruskin and Slade. The odds of the former seems to be about 10:1 and for the latter, I think the numbers I have seen are closer to 30-40:1? They are not good odds compared to the offer that is available. However, it is your choice - there is after all, nothing to lose from applying for a foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending