The Student Room Group

Is it possible to live life like this or am I being unrealistic?

I was thinking about the places I want to live when I'm older. I just came back from 3 months in Africa and NZ and I came to realize that I value:

Space- somewhere with greenery, little noise, not much litter
Sparse population- I want to hear the birds and trees rustling in the wind and the crashing of waves on the shore. I want to cycle to work!
Living Alone- Having my own kitchen and toilet so basically my own flat

It sounds boring but that's me. I do not want to live in an Urban Sprawl. I value space and natural beauty. Obviously I'm willing to work and spend many hours at work but I want to have autonomy and maintain a personal life unmolested by societal/peer pressure. I've lived in the Central London for 6 years and I've always lived with housemates. They've said I'm a great housemate because I never make noise or tell people what to do. However,from my own personal experiences, people in general always seem to "know best" and dictate/force people to conform to their own views/lifestyle. I've had enough.

I live for the type of freedom that allows me to cause no harm to others, to not intrude, silence or push my views and to have people return the favor. Is it possible to attain this lifestyle in today's society and in the UK? Am I going crazy?

P.S. I am 23 and will graduate in a course which is a societal necessity - Medicine- so I suppose I have more flexibility than most in terms of locale.
(edited 9 years ago)
The Western Isles lok good.
Now you see what just happened there?...somebody stole my o.
Up in the Western Isles you can go to bed leaving your door unlocked and nobody will steal your o.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
Now you see...somebody stole my o.
Up in the Western Isles you can go to bed leaving your door unlocked and nobody will steal your o.

Oh ok.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you like Africa and NZ then you could always go back there to work.

In the UK you don't have to live in an urban sprawl but it's probably easier to find the type of place you want in somewhere like NZ, or if you are willing to learn another European language, you can find it in parts of the EU, in fact just go to Southern France and you can live an amazing lifestyle, small quiet villages, surrounded by hills and lush gardens, beautiful Mediterranean weather, you can work as a doctor there.

In the UK you could be a GP and have a surgery in a nice pleasant leafy village, cycle to work, live a pleasant lifestyle but you can get better climate abroad.

On the living alone part, this might seem difficult in London but in many other places it's very easy to find a little apartment or studio flat, they are good ways to live, small, easy to keep warm, easy to look after, you get your independence and privacy and your time is your own, so that's the easiest part of all this.
I'm from North Yorkshire so I would think my opinion of what 'rural' means is different to yours. What kind of work do you want to do after you graduate? If it's GP then you could probably go somewhere quieter than if it's hospital work. Places like where I live are near both hospitals and GPs and all the rest and will seem really quiet and tranquil to a Londoner like you, but are by no means as "cut off" as you come across as wanting to be.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
If you like Africa and NZ then you could always go back there to work.

In the UK you don't have to live in an urban sprawl but it's probably easier to find the type of place you want in somewhere like NZ, or if you are willing to learn another European language, you can find it in parts of the EU, in fact just go to Southern France and you can live an amazing lifestyle, small quiet villages, surrounded by hills and lush gardens, beautiful Mediterranean weather, you can work as a doctor there.

In the UK you could be a GP and have a surgery in a nice pleasant leafy village, cycle to work, live a pleasant lifestyle but you can get better climate abroad.

On the living alone part, this might seem difficult in London but in many other places it's very easy to find a little apartment or studio flat, they are good ways to live, small, easy to keep warm, easy to look after, you get your independence and privacy and your time is your own, so that's the easiest part of all this.

Fantastic. I guess my dream is very much possible :smile:
Reply 7
Move to the countryside. There's plenty of space for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending