The Student Room Group

Would we not care as much about ISIS if they weren't "Muslims"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Enoxial
They have some territories, their momentum is gone and the parts they have control of are crippling financially i.e. Mosul.

They couldn't even take Ramadi. They have to resort to killing and rape to create fear. Being lead by a Caliph whos pretty much gone in hidding...

They are being strictly dealt with, even the sunni population has gone against them which has led to killing of 230 sunnis yesterday.

AJ is a joke. Should have seen their faces when they broke the news of Baiji refinery being taken by Daesh only for Iraqqiya TV to show live footage that its still in Govt hands.

AJ has always been heavily biased and showed what the Qatari Royal Family wants to.

Yh so basically some territories in Iraq and Syria, so they're in those countries. Guess I wasn't the one smoking stuff. Or do Iraq and Syria mean something else to you? :rolleyes: Shall I get google maps up for you?

Mistakes happen, I still count them as reliable. As yes I agree - they will be bias in favour of Qatar.
No, it's because the Middle East has all the oil, which is literally the commodity on which our economic system is founded. Therefore there is much focus on geopolitics in those areas. Probably the Muslim stuff sexes it up a bit but if it was Christians down there there would probably still be the same extensive coverage. The Russia/Ukraine stuff has also been massively reported despite no-one involved being Muslims. The similarity is that Russia is a major geopolitical player. All their expansionism since 1990 in Chechnya, Abkhazia and now Ukraine has been massively reported at the time. Not to mention that Russia supplies Europe with, again, major oil pipelines which we fear will be turned off.

It contrasts with areas of the world that aren't big players and don't have things like oil to make them big players, like for example the DR Congo where you have warlords sweeping through the place hacking men to pieces, raping their wives and conscripting their children.
Original post by james22
Absent without leave, basically people who leave the army without permission.

Okay thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i get y the coverage on ISIS is vast, i mean they only went on the media wen they entered Iraq and thats cos of the western powers and iran...and israel controllin iraq and ISIS this barbaric organisation is a threat (whether twas planned by the above powers or not aint sumin im asked to debate bout lol)

so lets put aside the fact that other major and disgustin issues such as drug cartels are being ignored, y not look at sumin neighbouring or a few miles even metres away from ISIS....Bashar Alassad! hes grttin away with all the terrorist attacks and acts on the innocent people in syria! y is that being ignored for the past 4 fu*kin years this bast+rd has not even let a rock ontop of a rock stay that way, he tortures kills the people of syria with the help if iran, the iraqi so called army (whom have now left to fight if isis) and hezbollah ....more like hizbofthedevil even israel have fired rockets at syria (last month) is that on the western media...only just...tis too disturbin apparently to talk bout it!

ok isis are ***** right killin muslims (also not on the news much) christains (not on the news much) and yazidies( made the news for running away) - all live in one area. y is it they kill and thankGod make the news but wen Bashar fires rockets in iraq and the ex president Noor almaleki says hes welcome to do so a big deal isnt madr out of it?

im jus sick if it, innocent people are gettin killed yet the media pick and choose wat to report p*sses me off.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IdeasForLife
Yh so basically some territories in Iraq and Syria, so they're in those countries. Guess I wasn't the one smoking stuff. Or do Iraq and Syria mean something else to you? :rolleyes: Shall I get google maps up for you?

Mistakes happen, I still count them as reliable. As yes I agree - they will be bias in favour of Qatar.

tis y one shud watch AlArabiya not funded by any government lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by blaspame
X

The troll is back :facepalm:
Original post by Enoxial
The troll is back :facepalm:

lmao

im not trollin im merely statin truth, which ur apprantly afraid of ? lol
(edited 9 years ago)

I never denied their presense in Iraq and Syria.

I questioned the introduction you gave about Daesh 'running awol' in Iraq and Syria :facepalm:
This was a petty issue anyways...
Original post by blaspame
lmao

im not trollin im merely statin truth, which ur apprantly afraid of ? lol

I'm actually scared of the conpiracy theories you cook up...
Original post by james22
What are the requirements for being a muslim then in your view?

anyone that says the shahada is a muslim. telling a muslim they are a kafir takes the person saying it out of the folds of islam-this isn't my view, its the general consensus.

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/78/130
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/92/27
Original post by beautifulxxx
Edit. I don't think its allowed to say that ISIS aren't Muslim hence I've removed that.

To answer the question, No they woudn't. The media only cares when its 'muslims'.

Yeh, I mean I'm sure there's loads of non-Muslim grooming gangs raping thousands of little girls. It's no big deal really. It's just cos they were Muslim.
You raise a very good point. There is brutality going on across the world right now; ISIS aren't exactly unique. From the Mexican cartels to the Maoists campaign in India to the brutal clashes in Somalia to the totalitarian insanity of the North Korean regime, there are plenty brutal groups out there that are just as ruthless. I think where ISIS matters more, however, isn't so much their religion, but their location. Iraq and Syria are in a incredibly strategic spot in the Middle East, they're both very close to Europe, there's oil and natural resources on that ground, and the conflict has the potential to spark off a greater war between the region's Sunni and Shia powers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Excellently put, OP.
Not everything but certainl things probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't because of the West's actions. ISIS probably wouldn't have existed if Iraq didn't happen.

You can't really blame the West for this, in Saddam's Iraq, Sunnis persecuted Shias, in post-Saddam Iraq, Shias persecuted Sunnis and the Sunnis have now risen up and formed the IS. You might argue that indirectly the West's actions lead to this, but the individuals behind this are to blame, not the West.

Israel/Palestine wouldn't be happening if certain European nations had learned not to be genocidal morons, or if certain western countries learned to not put people on other people's land.

This totally wrong.

The Balfour declaration happened before the rise of Nazism, Hitler is not some sort of god-send to the Zionist movement. Secondly, this very country (the UK) imprisoned would-be Jewish migrants to the land of Palestine on the island of Cyprus, to appease the Arabs, so this idea that Britain or Europe, stabs the Muslims in the back to appease the Zionists is a complete falsehood.

You implied it. You care about Israel/Palestine because you're a zionist. You support Israel unconditionally because they're Jewish, if they did something inhumane or even something right, you'd agree. Thats a horrible stance to have. I use common sense to support causes, if my brothers and sisters and being killed unjustly then yes I will care about it. Whether or not Jews were oppressors, I would still care about my bros/sisters.

This shows a total misunderstanding of Zionism, Zionism does not mean total support of Israel or its actions at all, you can be a Zionist and support Palestine, at the same time (two-state solution for example).
Reply 74
They're trying to conquer countries. What the hell do you mean we wouldn't care as much :facepalm:
Original post by Cerburus
Israel is a nation which is supported by various other nations. It is not some petty group who plays guerrilla warfare in the mountains. Countries do not publicly pledge their support to the Taliban or to ISIS when they murder, they do to Israel though. That is the difference. That is why people protest more against Israel, because protesting is more effective against them. Protest against ISIS if you wish, I'm sure they'll have BBC News over there in Iraq to see the march in London. Various scholar have spoken out against extremist groups, people on the religion section argue back their claims on a weekly basis. Open your eyes and stop being a close minded moronic moron who only sees what he wants to see.

I didn't say the IS in particular but rather sectarianism in general. Protests and exclamations of solidarity would do a lot to reduce sectarian attitudes, which in turn would reduce sectarian violence.

The UK on the other hand, does very little to support Israel, so by your own logic, you argument is flawed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
What's worse than IS and isn't Islamist? North Korea, maybe. At least North Korea aren't trying to conquer the world though.

At least they got ambition.
Original post by shahbaz
At least they got ambition.

Ambition to do evil.
Good point about the cartels.

It's always surprised me how America is more concerned with what goes on half way around the world as opposed to directly south.

The cartel operate throughout the United States via several street gangs.

Wasn't phoenix Arianna one of the kidnapping capitals of the world primarily due to the Mexican drug cartels.

Oh and if we are talking shear brutality the Mexican drug cartels make isis look like the teletubbies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pointless comparison, as Isis wouldn't be doing what they are if they weren't muslim, and what they are doing is distinctly different from Mexican cartels.

What drug cartels do is horrible but they arent committing genocide they're simply violent thugs engaging in a criminal business. ISIS on the other hand is committing genocide on any non Muslims it comes across. There is a distinct difference here.

Quick Reply

Latest