The Student Room Group

Epsilon-delta continuity problem

I have a calculus question that I have only been able to prove half of, and was wondering if someone could help me..

Q: Use that u3- v3 = (u-v)( u2 + uv + v2) to show that f (x) -> x1/3 is continuous on (0, ) using ℇ-δ criterion.

A: if u= x1/3 and v=a1/3
lim x1/3 x->a = a1/3
provided > 0, δ >0 such that 0< |x-a| < δ => |x1/3 - a1/3| <

from above ( |x-a|)/ (|x2/3 + (xa)1/3 + a2/3|) <ℇ

i know i can replace |x-a| in that fraction with δ, so that δ < (|x2/3 + (xa)1/3 + a2/3|)ℇ

my problem is that I don't know how to use the triangle inequality to continue the proof or find values.

can someone help?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hannahisabore
I have a calculus question that I have only been able to prove half of, and was wondering if someone could help me..

Q: Use that u3- v3 = (u-v)( u2 + uv + v2) to show that f (x) -> x1/3 is continuous on (0, ) using ℇ-δ criterion.

A: if u= x1/3 and v=a1/3
lim x1/3 x->a = a1/3
provided > 0, δ >0 such that 0< |x-a| < δ => |x1/3 - a1/3| <

from above ( |x-a|)/ (|x2/3 + (xa)1/3 + a2/3|) <ℇ

i know i can replace |x-a| in that fraction with δ, so that δ < (|x2/3 + (xa)1/3 + a2/3|)ℇ

my problem is that I don't know how to use the triangle inequality to continue the proof or find values.

can someone help?

please learn latex:biggrin:

given xa<δ|x-a|<\delta can you bound x2/3+(xa)2/3+a2/3|x^{2/3}+(xa)^{2/3}+a^{2/3}|?
Original post by tombayes
please learn latex:biggrin:

given xa<δ|x-a|<\delta can you bound x2/3+(xa)2/3+a2/3|x^{2/3}+(xa)^{2/3}+a^{2/3}|?

sorry :smile:

no not really :confused: having checked the notes, this wasn't mentioned in any of the proofs from the lectures.
Reply 3
sorry :smile:

no not really :confused: having checked the notes, this wasn't mentioned in any of the proofs from the lectures.

Try and give xa|x - a| an upper bound rather than an arbitrary δ\delta.
Original post by 0x2a
Try and give xa|x - a| an upper bound rather than an arbitrary δ\delta.

still haven't got much from my notes, though from what i've got, i just need x to be a small cube number to make the range much smaller, so if i make a 8 for example, the limit of x1/3x^{1/3} is 2?

would it then be the triangle inequality involving x8|x-8|?
Reply 5
still haven't got much from my notes, though from what i've got, i just need x to be a small cube number to make the range much smaller, so if i make a 8 for example, the limit of x1/3x^{1/3} is 2?

would it then be the triangle inequality involving x8|x-8|?

That would be sufficient for proving that a limit exists at a=8a = 8.

But you want to prove that the function is continuous over (0,)(0,\infty). So first you can set xa<1|x - a| < 1. Now you want another way to bound xa|x - a| such that xax23+(ax)13+a23<1x23+(ax)13+a23<ϵ\dfrac{|x - a|}{|x^{\frac{2}{3}} + (ax)^{\frac{1}{3}} + a^{\frac{2}{3}}|} < \dfrac{1}{|x^{\frac{2}{3}} + (ax)^{\frac{1}{3}} + a^{\frac{2}{3}}|} < \epsilon.

Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest