The Student Room Group

I got a Third Class honours degree, but I want to train as a teacher. Advice needed.

Scroll to see replies

Am I completely stuck?
No - some universities/SCITT will take you seeing as you have several years relevant experience. It's just finding them. Call providers you like, explain your situation and ask what they would want from you to be accepted. If you're willing to put in the effort for their place, they may take you on.

If I were to get onto a PGCE or a Schools Direct course, how would funding work?
Apply for SF. You're 25 so only your income would be assessed, as you're going into teaching and will have no income you'd be eligible for the full loan.

Would my Third Class degree prevent me from getting full funding?
No.

I obviously can't 'bump' my degree up, so what can I do?
You'd need primary experience. Maybe apply for an SKE course? but as you're applying for Primary it won't matter to much. Get your QTS tests out of the way?
Hey guys, i'm currently in the same situation. I've been working as an English teacher in Hong Kong for more than four years and I'm moving back to the UK hoping to continue teaching. But sadly, the third class honours is holding me back from ALL teacher training courses.
Any luck on you guys? What has happened to you guys since the thread started? Thanks!!!!
Original post by oliviac512
Hey guys, i'm currently in the same situation. I've been working as an English teacher in Hong Kong for more than four years and I'm moving back to the UK hoping to continue teaching. But sadly, the third class honours is holding me back from ALL teacher training courses.
Any luck on you guys? What has happened to you guys since the thread started? Thanks!!!!

I am in a similar situation to how you were- I have 7 years teaching experience from South Korea. Did you manage to find a course that would accept you?
Hi Andy,Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere into teaching! My third class honours wasn't getting me into any teaching course so I had no choice but to pursue a different career. The schools in the UK don't recognise any oversea teaching experiences no matter how many years you have taught. It's quite dead end :frown:
you can work in an academy, free school or an independent without QTS. You could also work in a college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending