The Student Room Group

Why is x^3(7x^2+7x+6) = x(7x^2+7x+6)^3 ?

Can someone please explain this because when I sub x for any number the results are different when the exponent is in a different place. :3
Reply 1
That isn't generally true, it's only true when x = 0 (or some other root of the polynomial you create, if it has roots that is).

EDIT: I'm assuming you mean x3(7x2+7x+6)=x(7x2+7x+6)3x^3(7x^2 + 7x + 6) = x(7x^2 + 7x + 6)^3.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by romama
Can someone please explain this because when I sub x for any number the results are different when the exponent is in a different place. :3

It isn't

why did you think that it was?
Reply 3
Original post by romama

is this an equation to solve?
Reply 4
The left hand side is a degree 5 polynomial, while the right hand side a 7...
Reply 5
Original post by romama

It isn't true in general if you've written it correctly!!
Original post by romama

there are only seven values of x for which this is true. The only real one being 0 (other 6 are complex).

Quick Reply

Latest