The Student Room Group

Pharmacology and Pharmacy

Hello all, I was told to post in the Life Sciences section

I just wanted to ask what is the difference between Pharmacology and Pharmacy and if I wanted to work in the Pharmaceutical Industry, which out of the three - Pharmacology, Pharmacy or Chemistry - would be the best option?

I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and History but am considering doing a chemistry-orientated degree :colondollar:
To become a pharmacist you need a Pharmacy degree (MPharm most likely)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zhang-liao
Hello all, I was told to post in the Life Sciences section

I just wanted to ask what is the difference between Pharmacology and Pharmacy and if I wanted to work in the Pharmaceutical Industry, which out of the three - Pharmacology, Pharmacy or Chemistry - would be the best option?

I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and History but am considering doing a chemistry-orientated degree :colondollar:

Hi,

Pharmacology is studying how drugs work, which receptors they work on etc.

Pharmacology is studied as part of the pharmacy course as well as medicinal chemistry, dispensing, formulations etc. The pharmacy degree is about becoming a healthcare professional at the end of the course. You would do the MPharm (4 years at uni) and do the Pre-registration year to become qualified and registered on the GPhc.

I think you could do any of those degrees and work in the pharmaceutical industry but do some more research into what job you exactly want to do and the skills you need.

You have 2 science degrees so should be able to get onto the courses, most people have 2 sciences and maths but double check the entry requirements.

Hope that helps.
I am interested in pharmacy as well, but apparently you need Chemistry a-level along with 2 that are either biology, physics or mathematics at grades AAA or AAB (at UCL).

Thanks for the explanation on the difference of pharmacy and pharmacology btw!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending