The Student Room Group

Am I smart enough for a good uni ?

I am applying for university at the moment and as I did better in results day than I expected to this means that I am able to apply to "better" universities. But I am worried that I am not actually smart enough or even capable enough to do well in a higher university, regardless if I am lucky enough to be accepted. I mean I am not stupid but I am worried that I will struggle if I go to high university, or will be expected to be a lot smarter than I actually am.

I have a couple of back up universities in line if I don't get into the higher universities anyway, but should I be considering these universities or should I just go for the best one's for my course?

Scroll to see replies

What A-Levels did you get?
Original post by hycurrie
I am applying for university at the moment and as I did better in results day than I expected to this means that I am able to apply to "better" universities. But I am worried that I am not actually smart enough or even capable enough to do well in a higher university, regardless if I am lucky enough to be accepted. I mean I am not stupid but I am worried that I will struggle if I go to high university, or will be expected to be a lot smarter than I actually am.

I have a couple of back up universities in line if I don't get into the higher universities anyway, but should I be considering these universities or should I just go for the best one's for my course?

How do you expect people to comment if you don't tell them your course/uni choice/achieved grades?

Unfortunately we're not psychic :frown:
Reply 3
Well to be honest I totally bombed my first year in sixthform ending up with 2 U's, one in psychology and the other maths, bug getting a c in English language and literature (combined course). This meant that I need up taking up a double btec in applied medical science (not my ideal course at all!)

Last year I ended up getting a B at A2 in English and am on course to get 2 distinction stars in applied medical science, and I also got an A in my EPQ which had the title Does Secondary School Develop The Whole Child? And I want to apply for education studies or a straight teaching degree.
Reply 4
I can't comment on whether you're academically intelligent enough because I don't know you personally but I can offer some advice regarding universities;

Don't worry too much about the name. Yeah, some Uni's -are- undeniably "stronger" for their respective subjects, but would you really let that affect your personal growth or learning?

Seriously, the graduate job market is tough enough without worrying about whether a potential employer will judge you on the basis of which institution you went to and at the end of the day the large majority of Uni students don't put in half as much effort as they could do - you'll get out what you put in for the most part.

Don't worry too much if you end up at an objectively "weaker" Uni. If you want to do something enough and you're willing to put the effort in it won't matter where you end up.
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends on what you consider to be a good uni...?
With 2 Us and " Cs you're not exactly Oxbridge standard.
Reply 7
Well I know it is a major long shot but I am applying for Durham, as well as bath, Bristol, bath spa and uwe.
Hi, I got a U in AS Psychology and a U in AS Law. By the time I finished A-levels I got 4 As, went to a good university and got a First degree so you can flunk up and still do well. Your little failures e.g. the orginal Us aren't important if you are doing better now, you are at an equivilent level of aptitude and as good as anyone else who achieves distinctions and A EPQs!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SuperiorGenius
With 2 Us and " Cs you're not exactly Oxbridge standard.

I am under no illusion thinking that I am something I'm not and well I am retaking one of the u's and the c was only as level in English and I have completed English to b now at A2.

I know I'm not the smartest person ever, in fact I am far from it.
I am under no illusion thinking that I am something I'm not and well I am retaking one of the u's and the c was only as level in English and I have completed English to b now at A2.

I know I'm not the smartest person ever, in fact I am far from it.

Well then you understand that you don't have the grades for a "good uni" and this thread is unnecessary.
Reply 11
Well then you understand that you don't have the grades for a "good uni" and this thread is unnecessary.

Obviously I know I am not capable if I don't get accepted but that wasn't the point of this thread. The point was IF I was accepted.

If you don't like or think this thread is unnecessary then just ignor it.
Obviously I know I am not capable if I don't get accepted but that wasn't the point of this thread. The point was IF I was accepted.

If you don't like or think this thread is unnecessary then just ignor it.

Well my brother got 4 A*s at A2 (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths). They are supposedly the hardest subjects and he didn't drop any of them at A2. He is now studying a degree at Cambridge and he is in the bottom 30% of his degree. So no, you're not smart enough.
Reply 13
i don't know what we expected from a guy who named himself "SuperiorGenius"
Reply 14
Well my brother got 4 A*s at A2 (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths). They are supposedly the hardest subjects and he didn't drop any of them at A2. He is now studying a degree at Cambridge and he is in the bottom 30% of his degree. So no, you're not smart enough.

Well, well done to him. This thread obviously wasn't meant for me to throw my achievements or failures around, neither did I say or even imagine to think I am ever capable for Oxbridge.

And to be honest I have to thank you really, as it is people like you telling me I can't that make me work that little bit harder to get it.

I was open to people saying I'm not capable but not for people to be rude like you, it was obvious that I am not applying to Oxbridge.
Reply 15
Original post by Kaiju
i don't know what we expected from a guy who named himself "SuperiorGenius"

It was his brother not him.
Reply 16
It was his brother not him.

That was what I was getting at, I just didn't want to outright say it since I'm already on yellow card warnings :rolleyes:
The type of person who labels himself Superior Genius is likely the type of guy standing on the shoulders of giants whilst presuming that anyone who says "good uni" means Oxbridge.
"Clueless" would've fit just as nicely imo.
Reply 17
Original post by Kaiju
That was what I was getting at, I just didn't want to outright say it since I'm already on yellow card warnings :rolleyes:
The type of person who labels himself Superior Genius is likely the type of guy standing on the shoulders of giants whilst presuming that anyone who says "good uni" means Oxbridge.
"Clueless" would've fit just as nicely imo.

Whoops yes better play nicely then haha :P, and I was open for genuine advice but obviously not everyone is willing or capable to offer that. I know that even with my U's and without going to Oxbridge
Reply 18
Don't listen to that SuperiorGenius, he's useless :smile: all he can brag about is his brother, not himself.

I've always questioned myself whether I'm good/smart enough for university, especially after I had a C,D & a U in AS this year. My parents have always said "some people are just not meant for university" and thats the truth, you might want to go, but remember it's not the only option you have.
Next year, I'm hoping to go to UWE to study physiotherapy, if not I'll be taking a gap year to get my stuff together and possibly finish my A2 Biology so I would be able to go to a better university in the long run :smile:
I know where you're coming from, and in my eyes you still have a good chance of getting into a good university, but you need to work your socks off! (You & I both!)

edit: also I done psychology last year and it is hard!! The year above me failed the first year too, and majority of them are studying it in university!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Epitaxy
Don't listen to that SuperiorGenius, he's useless :smile: all he can brag about is his brother, not himself.

I've always questioned myself whether I'm good/smart enough for university, especially after I had a C,D & a U in AS this year. My parents have always said "some people are just not meant for university" and thats the truth, you might want to go, but remember it's not the only option you have.
Next year, I'm hoping to go to UWE to study physiotherapy, if not I'll be taking a gap year to get my stuff together and possibly finish my A2 Biology so I would be able to go to a better university in the long run :smile:
I know where you're coming from, and in my eyes you still have a good chance of getting into a good university, but you need to work your socks off! (You & I both!)

edit: also I done psychology last year and it is hard!! The year above me failed the first year too, and majority of them are studying it in university!

Haha thanks.

I know where you are coming from with your parents. And I am no stranger to hard work but yes I shall try even harder.

I think I am going to stop worrying for a bit and just wait to see what offers I get first. After all I may not have to face this problem at all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending