The Student Room Group

Would you ever sleep with someone from work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
I wasnt trying to suggest that you ought to employ woman :s Just that you can't claim this situation isnt relevant purely because you dont employ woman at the moment.

Protected at the highest level by the ECoHR Article 8. Im sure there are plenty of other safeguards from lower courts if you want to research yourself.

Perhaps better to just avoid the potential liability in the first place by respecting your employees and their privacy a bit more?

Ah perhaps you've misunderstood - my "hard line" approach is when it spills out into the workplace and stops them being productive - at which point it all becomes not-very-private. What they do in their own time is their business, but I wouldn't tolerate a relationship in the office if they were unable to keep it to their own time.

For example, refusing to work with each other because they'd been arguing. Wasting time flirting when the rest of us are actually trying to get things done.

If two colleagues decided to be in a relationship, then what I don't know can't hurt me. The problem arises when I do know, and it's having a detrimental effect. The same awkwardness could arise from a one night stand that they regret and slow things down in the office.

Out of interest, what industry did you work in where coworkers were always sleeping around with each other?
Tricky question because it depends on how you feel about said person and what kind of position they hold within the organisation/company. If you're talking about bosses then no, but co-workers maybe.
Reply 22
Original post by XMaramena
Ah perhaps you've misunderstood - my "hard line" approach is when it spills out into the workplace and stops them being productive - at which point it all becomes not-very-private. What they do in their own time is their business, but I wouldn't tolerate a relationship in the office if they were unable to keep it to their own time.

Ah okay. I did misunderstand, as you're original reply of:

Absolutely not. That's a massive NO in my books. Anyone letting a personal relationship with a coworker even get the slightest sniff in the way of their work in my company wouldn't expect to be under my employment for much longer.

Does come across as an extremely hard line. What you've detailed as potential issues are hardly 'slightest sniff' distractions.

Original post by XMaramena
Out of interest, what industry did you work in where coworkers were always sleeping around with each other?

Gap year contract type placements. Holiday reps, Activity camp instructors etc. I've worked a few over the years and it's the inevitable result of having large numbers of young adults all living together onsite.
Original post by Reue
Ah okay. I did misunderstand, as you're original reply of:

Absolutely not. That's a massive NO in my books. Anyone letting a personal relationship with a coworker even get the slightest sniff in the way of their work in my company wouldn't expect to be under my employment for much longer.

Does come across as an extremely hard line. What you've detailed as potential issues are hardly 'slightest sniff' distractions.

Gap year contract type placements. Holiday reps, Activity camp instructors etc. I've worked a few over the years and it's the inevitable result of having large numbers of young adults all living together onsite.

No, I should have been clearer. The slightest sniff of distractions could have been more apt. Being said, I will take a harder line on it than other employers, I'm sure.

Ah that makes sense - you're working in a party. My ventures are in media, publishing and software - tight turnarounds on few, large-scale projects, so naturally if there was a problem, I wouldn't have time for several steps of "lets have a performance review, lets see how we can help, here's a first warning, here's a second warning, here's a third warning, okay you're still going here's a written warning, here's another written warning.... .... ...." It would be a matter of "Sort your **** or you're off the project and you won't be on the contract for the next one." Although in all honesty, unless they've really shown some shine in the past, they'll probably have screwed up their chances anyway.

And actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I have actually seen clauses in employment contracts forbidding sexual relations with clients, so I'm sure
one can equally justify the same with other co-workers.
(edited 9 years ago)
If the girl was on another team, then yes. There are some incredibly fit girls at work.

Also with any of the HR hotties, YES YES YES!!! They are like models.

I dream about sleeping with hot clients.

I guess it's the same as any other relationship though, you'd build up rapport and ask them out. Or wild night out and steamy passon afterwards.
Reply 25
I wouldn't have casual sex but hypothetically I would date and ergo sleep with a colleague; I know a few people who met their partners at work. I'll be soon working in an FE college so I wouldn't enter into a relationship/sleep with a student. If I was working sonewhere else I would date a client/customer; I worked in a pub when I was younger and went on a date with a customer although it didn't go anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending