The Student Room Group

Complex roots simple question -quick! :)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the solutions to z4=2+23i z^4 = -2 + 2\sqrt3i

For some reason I'm getting roots which aren't complex conjugates of each other, so I think I've messed up with the angles.

In polar form: r=4, θ=2π/3\theta=2\pi/3

Therefore cos4θ=cos2π/3cos4\theta=cos2\pi/3

So the solutions are θ=π/6+(kπ/2)\theta= \pi/6 + (k\pi/2) for k=0,1,2,3

And then after that my solutions aren't conjugates i.e
z1 = 2(cos(π/6)+isin(π/6))\sqrt2(cos(\pi/6) + isin(\pi/6))
And then add pi/2 to each angle until the last solution:
z4 = 2(cos(5π/3)+isin(5π/3)\sqrt2(cos(5\pi/3)+isin(5\pi/3)

So I'm pretty sure I've done a wrong step just before the roots solution. Can someone please guide me on the path back to the correct answer? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by forgottensecret

For some reason I'm getting roots which aren't complex conjugates of each other, so I think I've messed up with the angles.

So I'm pretty sure I've done a wrong step just before the roots solution. Can someone please guide me on the path back to the correct answer? :smile:

The roots of a polynomial are only necessarily complex conjugates of each other if the coefficients of the polynomial are real.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by forgottensecret
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the solutions to z4=2+23i z^4 = -2 + 2\sqrt3i

In polar form: r=4, θ=2π/3\theta=2\pi/3

Therefore cos4θ=cos2π/3cos4\theta=cos2\pi/3

So the solutions are θ=π/6+(kπ/2)\theta= \pi/6 + (k\pi/2) for k=0,1,2,3

And then after that my solutions aren't conjugates i.e
z1 = 2(cos(π/6)+isin(π/6))\sqrt2(cos(\pi/6) + isin(\pi/6))
And then add pi/2 to each angle until the last solution:
z4 = 2(cos(5π/3)+isin(5π/3)\sqrt2(cos(5\pi/3)+isin(5\pi/3)

As joostan said but also, if you are allowed a calculator such as the Casio 991es then you can put it in complex mode, enter your z and type AnsAnsAnsAns to confirm that you were correct.
Original post by joostan
The roots of a polynomial are only necessarily complex conjugates of each other if the coefficients of the polynomial are real.

Original post by BabyMaths
As joostan said but also, if you are allowed a calculator such as the Casio 991es then you can put it in complex mode, enter your z and type AnsAnsAnsAns to confirm that you were correct.

Of course, silly thing to forget. Thanks to both!

Quick Reply

Latest