The Student Room Group

Joint Honours English and History 2015

Have you applied for Joint Hons English and History?
If so, where?
Have you got any offers yet?

I've applied to Oxford, St Andrews, York, Edinburgh and QMUL. Has anyone else applied to any of these?

I'm predicted A*A*A, and already have a "fast track" A* as well as AAAB at AS; I haven't received any offers yet though...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes! I applied to Oxford, York, Nottingham, Southampton and Exeter and have an offer from Southampton!

Apparently they take quite a bit longer to come because they have to go through two departments :frown:
Reply 2
It's nice to hear back from you, especially as I don't know anyone else applying for Joint Hons English and History at school.
Original post by emilyjade19
Apparently they take quite a bit longer to come because they have to go through two departments :frown:
Yeah, that's what I imagine too... only way I'm staying sane checking and re-checking Track ahaha... Congratulations on Southampton!

Original post by xAnneeW
I applied to Oxford, Durham, Southampton, York and Kent and have offers from Durham, Kent and Southampton.
Wow, you're lucky yo have heard back from Durham so soon: both they and St Andrews typically wait for all applications to arrive before giving out offers so they must really want you :smile:

How are you guys feeling about the HAT? Good luck for 5th November!
Aw I am very glad to have found this thread!

I applied (last Wednesday) for the course at: St Andrews, York, Nottingham, Birmingham and Royal Holloway!
I've got acknowledgements from all of them and am desperately waiting/hoping for an offer from any.

I'm predicted AAA after getting AAAB at AS :-).
Thank you!
I really want offers from York and Nottingham, it's killing me that loads of single honours applicants are getting offers now
Original post by Mitzybat
How are you guys feeling about the HAT? Good luck for 5th November!

I think it's fine, it's just getting used to how you answer it and I've been doing lots of past papers so there's not much more you can really do. Good luck to you too!
Reply 6
Original post by gracelouise96
St Andrews, York, Nottingham, Birmingham and Royal Holloway!
I've got acknowledgements from all of them and am desperately waiting/hoping for an offer from any.

Good luck! I´m in the same situation - I´ve got all the acknowledgements but no offers yet! Everyone says St Andrews takes a long time to reply as they wait and give offers out after they´ve received all the applications.

I think it's fine, it's just getting used to how you answer it and I've been doing lots of past papers so there's not much more you can really do. Good luck to you too!

That´s been my philosophy too - it´s reassuring to hear someone else has approached it in the same way (but then again, it´s true that there aren´t really any other ways to approach it...) I´ve actually been finding the questions enjoyable once I relaxed into the idea of the test :smile:
Can we drop one of the subject if we found out that we couldnt handle two subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by mynameispoo
Can we drop one of the subject if we found out that we couldnt handle two subjects?

I´d advise you to look into this at each university. In most cases I believe you start 50%-50% but can later "weight" your degree in favour of one course (eg 70% English, 30% History) or even drop one completely... It should tell you on the individual webpages for Joint Hons English and History at each university, and if it doesn´t, try emailing them! :smile:
Reply 9
Hey, I applied for it at Southampton, Exeter, Loughborough, UEA and Sussex.
So far I've had offers back from all except Exeter (hint hint hurry up Exeter)!

What about everyone else?
Reply 10
Original post by LilyZo
Hey, I applied for it at Southampton, Exeter, Loughborough, UEA and Sussex.
So far I've had offers back from all except Exeter (hint hint hurry up Exeter)!

What about everyone else?

Congratulations!
I've only heard back from Queen Mary (University of London) but it's my insurance so yay :smile:
Still waiting for Oxford (any day now... What nerves!), St Andrews, Edinburgh and York
Reply 11
Congratulations!
I've only heard back from Queen Mary (University of London) but it's my insurance so yay :smile:
Still waiting for Oxford (any day now... What nerves!), St Andrews, Edinburgh and York

Wow some great unis, I'm presuming Oxford is your firm lol?
Figured I'd post in here again!

I sent my application off on the 22/10 and currently have three offers:
- Royal Holloway (ABB).
- Birmingham (AAB or Unconditional if firm)
and Nottingham (AAA)

I knew I'd be in it for the long haul with St Andrews but does anyone know why York are taking so long for our course?
(/does anyone have offers yet for York?)
Reply 13
Original post by LilyZo
Wow some great unis, I'm presuming Oxford is your firm lol?

I'd love it for Oxford to be my firm:smile: I finally heard back yesterday, and I've got an interview!
Yours are all really nice unis too. Actually, I was thinking of applying to UEA as it looks great for English+History, but in the end I put York down
Reply 14
Original post by gracelouise96
I knew I'd be in it for the long haul with St Andrews but does anyone know why York are taking so long for our course?
(/does anyone have offers yet for York?)

I'm actually incredibly relieved you haven't heard back from York yet either... I was beginning to think it was a bad sign for me as the people I know who've applied for other courses have all got offers already. I suppose it's just because it's Joint Honours but it's still weird it's taking so long.
I'm still waiting for St Andrews and Edinburgh as well as York - I think Edinburgh usually takes quite a long time too...
I'd love it for Oxford to be my firm:smile: I finally heard back yesterday, and I've got an interview!
Yours are all really nice unis too. Actually, I was thinking of applying to UEA as it looks great for English+History, but in the end I put York down

Congratulations!! What college are you at? I have one for Merton. Do you know how many interviews we have? In the email they told me I had the two for history and that I could expect some more for English but didn't specify so I'm wondering if it's just 3 or if we have 4!!
Reply 16
Congratulations!! What college are you at? I have one for Merton. Do you know how many interviews we have? In the email they told me I had the two for history and that I could expect some more for English but didn't specify so I'm wondering if it's just 3 or if we have 4!!

Oh, well done! Merton seems really nice:smile: I've applied to Somerville: I completely fell in love with it at the open day. I know I have 3 from Somerville - 2 History and 1 English - but they said I could well get more from other colleges, and to wait to be told.
They said we could stay over the nights of 10th-12th, but do you know if we can stay the night of the 9th? I'm travelling a long way and won't be able to get there by 10am... I'm going to email them and ask tomorrow, but just thought you might already know
Oh, well done! Merton seems really nice:smile: I've applied to Somerville: I completely fell in love with it at the open day. I know I have 3 from Somerville - 2 History and 1 English - but they said I could well get more from other colleges, and to wait to be told.
They said we could stay over the nights of 10th-12th, but do you know if we can stay the night of the 9th? I'm travelling a long way and won't be able to get there by 10am... I'm going to email them and ask tomorrow, but just thought you might already know

I hope I only have 3 as well!!! Yes they told me in my email that I could if I need to and I'm sure it's the same, just email the admissions tutor, or I don't know if you have one, but in the interview reply form :smile: for merton I had to fill out a form specifying when I would get there and how many nights I would spend!!
Reply 18
Hey, has anyone got offers from the university of Liverpool for history by any chance?
Original post by charan04
Hey, has anyone got offers from the university of Liverpool for history by any chance?

I got an offer last month from Liverpool. conditional : AAB without interview! they got back the day after I had applied:smile:. Have you got an offer yet? and what are your other choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending