The Student Room Group

Rejected from Deloitte summer internship - feedback?

I recently got rejected from the Deloitte summer internship straight out of application (only 5 days after submitting it), and I was a little confused because I'm not entirely sure what part of my application killed my candidacy so quickly.

Some details:

School: London School of Economics
Grades: 3.64/4.0 GPA (I am an exchange student from the U.S.). I've been told this is equivalent to a 2:1 in the U.K.
Major: Mathematical Economics
Year: Third (Penultimate year for me though)

Other details: Founded a non-profit during my sophomore year that has over 40 members and is still currently going strong, interned at medium sized Market Research firm, worked as a Research Assistant in the Economics department for a year, Philanthropy chair of my fraternity, won a case study competition hosted by Deloitte in the U.S.

Is it because I'm on a U.S. passport and a U.K. student visa? I read over my application just now and I made no mistakes; the writing section for the internship is not that long anyways.

It's Deloitte's company policy not to give feedback during the application stage, so I was really hoping to get some insights from this forum.

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
What sort of visa do you hold?

Tier 4 General student visa holders Summer Vacation Scheme / Industrial Placement intake
If you are studying a degree level course in the UK and you hold a valid Tier 4 General student visa and will continue to do so after your potential graduate start date start date (October 2016) and can satisfy one of the above criteria you are eligible to apply to any of our undergraduate positions and your application will be progressed through our selection process as normal. Please note that prior to your start date you will need to obtain written confirmation from your university regarding term dates you will only be able to participate in our Summer Vacation Scheme if the dates coincide with your university summer vacation.

I do not have the right to work in the UK, what does that mean for me?
If you do not hold a valid Tier 4 General student visa, or cannot satisfy the requirements stated above unfortunately we will be unable to consider you for a role with Deloitte.

Deloitte is not able to offer Tier 2 sponsorship if you are not able to satisfy one of the above requirements. This is due to the fact that the application would be subject to the Resident Labour Market Test, and our graduate roles do not pass this test. Deloitte would need to demonstrate to UK Visas & Immigration that there are no suitably qualified resident workers to fill the vacancy and for our 2015 intake we will not be able to demonstrate this.

Please note due to the processing time associated with gaining the appropriate sponsorship applicants applying to a 2015 graduate role who are holding a Tier 1 or Tier 4 visa will need to apply before midnight on the 1st May 2015. After this point we will not be able to consider applications that require sponsorship.
Reply 2
I have a tier 4, but it expires in Sept 2015. So I could have theoretically done the internship, but they would not have been able to give a full-time offer after it, so I feel like having me intern there would have been a sunk cost that they got nothing out of. That's the reason I've been telling myself anyways.
Reply 3
Sounds like it. They take on the majority of the interns as graduates in the following year, so it makes sense really. Sorry you got rejected though!
Reply 4
If that's the case, then I would feel a lot better about it honestly. It's certainly better than "you were insta-rejected because you just suck" or something like that.
What scheme did you apply for?
Reply 6
I applied for the summer vacation 2015 - strategy consulting scheme
Yes, the internship programme aims to give students an insight, but is also a good marketing opportunity for them to get the best candidates long term. Maybe approach your home office and ask them to liaise with London office?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending