The Student Room Group

Importing a Galaxy S5 from US

If I import a S5 from the US will it's 4G capabilities work here in the UK?
Original post by yellowcopter
If I import a S5 from the US will it's 4G capabilities work here in the UK?

If you get a GSM model it will, a CDMA variant won't. So basically you want one that will be compatible with AT & T and T Mobile in the states to ensure it works here.
It's an AT&T locked and branded model, so I'm assuming that means it's GSM. But I'll be unlocking and debranding it.

Would there be any complications with unlocking it - e.g. after unlocking 4G capabilities will no longer work?
It's an AT&T locked and branded model, so I'm assuming that means it's GSM. But I'll be unlocking and debranding it.

Would there be any complications with unlocking it - e.g. after unlocking 4G capabilities will no longer work?

It should still work, Iv imported a lot of phones from places like Canada and America in the past few years, but you need to make sure the phone has the same 4G frequencies as the uk. e.g. if for example if in the USA its 2100mhz for their 4G network and you import it here, the phone will think its connected to a 4G network, however because 2100mhz in the UK actually is 3G HSPA+, you would really be getting that network even though it says 4G.

for the uk make sure the phone you import will connect to 800MHz band, the 1800MHz and the 2600MHz. These are the uk 4G frequencies
Original post by haseebi82
It should still work, Iv imported a lot of phones from places like Canada and America in the past few years, but you need to make sure the phone has the same 4G frequencies as the uk. e.g. if for example if in the USA its 2100mhz for their 4G network and you import it here, the phone will think its connected to a 4G network, however because 2100mhz in the UK actually is 3G HSPA+, you would really be getting that network even though it says 4G.

for the uk make sure the phone you import will connect to 800MHz band, the 1800MHz and the 2600MHz. These are the uk 4G frequencies

Thanks for that, didn't realise it had to be certain frequencies. :smile:

It says:

LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/17
HSPA+/UMTS: 850/1900/2100MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Would this be supported for 4G in the UK?
Thanks for that, didn't realise it had to be certain frequencies. :smile:

It says:

LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/17
HSPA+/UMTS: 850/1900/2100MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Would this be supported for 4G in the UK?

Yes it would but because its only got the 1800mhz , it means that you can only use 4G with either EE or 3 simcards, I think it won't work with O2 or Vodafone because they only use the 800mhz and 2600mhz frequencies
Original post by haseebi82
Yes it would but because its only got the 1800mhz , it means that you can only use 4G with either EE or 3 simcards, I think it won't work with O2 or Vodafone because they only use the 800mhz and 2600mhz frequencies

I'm on 3 so it's all good. :tongue: Thanks for the help. :smile:
I imported Samsung Galaxy s5 t mobile varient recently from the us, got scammed because its a CDMA sprint phone and I can even use the 4g network, it's terrible :cry:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Audiology-Med

Wrong, EE also requires 800MHz and 2600MHz in addition to 1800MHz, 3 needs 800MHz in addition to 1800MHz.

OP: It won't work, as it needs all the correct frequencies, as different ones are used for different areas of the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending