The Student Room Group

A-levels medicine

Hey! :smile: I'm an 11th grade student in a british school in Spain. My dream is to become a doctor and I plan on applying to Cambridge, UCL and Imperial. I don't know what A-levels to take... :s-smilie:I was thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths A levels and French As level. Is it too much? What choice would be better? Is french a good contrasting subject? Help pleeeeease and thanks very much in advance :o:p
Reply 1
Original post by Miakaavanah
Hey! :smile: I'm an 11th grade student in a british school in Spain. My dream is to become a doctor and I plan on applying to Cambridge, UCL and Imperial. I don't know what A-levels to take... :s-smilie:I was thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths A levels and French As level. Is it too much? What choice would be better? Is french a good contrasting subject? Help pleeeeease and thanks very much in advance :o:p

The necessities for medicine are chemistry and ideally biology, so yes, them two. The other subject is often appreciated as physics or maths, but I don't think it matters too much as long as it's more of a traditional subject.

Imo 4 at AS (4th could be whatever you want) and 3 A2 is enough, and any more is not really worth it. It is regarded by RG Uni's that high UMS over 3 subjects > lower UMS over 4 and as medicine is a very competitive subject you want the best grades you can possibly get.
Reply 2
Original post by AdamCee
The necessities for medicine are chemistry and ideally biology, so yes, them two. The other subject is often appreciated as physics or maths, but I don't think it matters too much as long as it's more of a traditional subject.

Imo 4 at AS (4th could be whatever you want) and 3 A2 is enough, and any more is not really worth it. It is regarded by RG Uni's that high UMS over 3 subjects > lower UMS over 4 and as medicine is a very competitive subject you want the best grades you can possibly get.

Thanks very much for your answer! I read that medical students at cambridge often have more than 3 science A levels and at UCL they like to see a contrasting subject. Does an As level science count as a fourth science?
Reply 3
Thanks very much for your answer! I read that medical students at cambridge often have more than 3 science A levels and at UCL they like to see a contrasting subject. Does an As level science count as a fourth science?

I'm not entirely sure about Oxbridge, sorry. However generally AS sometimes counts as fourth; some uni's for example only require biology to AS, whereas some want it at A2. Your best bet would be to check the websites of the uni's your interested in, see the requirements, accepted subjects, etc.

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf this may help too
Reply 4
Original post by AdamCee
I'm not entirely sure about Oxbridge, sorry. However generally AS sometimes counts as fourth; some uni's for example only require biology to AS, whereas some want it at A2. Your best bet would be to check the websites of the uni's your interested in, see the requirements, accepted subjects, etc.

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf this may help too

Very useful! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5
Very useful! Thanks again :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 6

In terms of university application, "science" includes the three sciences as well as maths and further maths - but NOT psychology
So if you have the three sciences and maths, you have four sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge requires 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths; some cambridge applicants have all 4, but it's not necessary.
It's true that UCL like to see a non-science subject.
You must do chemistry, and preferably also biology. For Cambridge you would also need to do either physics or maths.
Only do them all if you are sure you can handle the workload; it is far better to have AAA than AABB because you have overstretched yourself - any less than 3 As pretty much ends your chances of getting into undergraduate medicine. You might be ok with 5 at AS, and you can certainly start and see how you get on; then drop to 3 or 4 at A2
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by C0balt
In terms of university application, "science" includes the three sciences as well as maths and further maths - but NOT psychology
So if you have the three sciences and maths, you have four sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, I spoke to the medicine admissions officer from Oxford in person 3/4 months ago and as I took psychology, maths, chemistry and biology I worried about this. I was told that psychology is a science and this is the most common subject combination taken by medicine applicants there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Rbutton
Actually, I spoke to the medicine admissions officer from Oxford in person 3/4 months ago and as I took psychology, maths, chemistry and biology I worried about this. I was told that psychology is a science and this is the most common subject combination taken by medicine applicants there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is for medicine then

The courses I look at for myself are physics chemistry etc so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
It is for medicine then

The courses I look at for myself are physics chemistry etc so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, most people think it isn't to be fair
Reply 11
Tanks for all your advice!
I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY advise Biology, Chemistry and Maths. The other one doesn't matter too much.
Reply 13
Original post by SuperiorGenius
I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY advise Biology, Chemistry and Maths. The other one doesn't matter too much.

Yes that's what I'll probably do:smile: But will doing physics too increase my chances? Thanks for your help! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by theresheglows
Cambridge requires 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths; some cambridge applicants have all 4, but it's not necessary.
It's true that UCL like to see a non-science subject.
You must do chemistry, and preferably also biology. For Cambridge you would also need to do either physics or maths.
Only do them all if you are sure you can handle the workload; it is far better to have AAA than AABB because you have overstretched yourself - any less than 3 As pretty much ends your chances of getting into undergraduate medicine. You might be ok with 5 at AS, and you can certainly start and see how you get on; then drop to 3 or 4 at A2

Thanks very much for this! :biggrin: But is french a good contrasting subject?
Yes that's what I'll probably do:smile: But will doing physics too increase my chances? Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

If you're applying to Cambridge you will need the BMAT. I find that physics questions in the BMAT are VERY DIFFICULT if you haven't done A level physics. That's one advantage of physics I guess.
Reply 16
I have talked with someone at Oxford about Medicine A levels and she said that Biology and Chemistry are practically musts. She also said that many medicine students come with a poor mathematical aptitude and struggle, so she recommended Maths a level also. I then asked what about a fourth and a fifth and she said that the fourth one should be a subject you enjoy and it can come across quite well during an interview that you enjoy something other than medicine-related stuff (so French would be good here). Then the fifth would come across to Oxford that you could handle the stress of strenuous work, so any other (preferably scientifically related) would be beneficial, but not necessarily needed, so something like Psychology (something perhaps deemed as a duff a level for top unis) would be good for medicine applicants. One of my friends who is rooting for medicine at Cambridge is taking Biology,Chemistry,Maths, F maths & RS by comparison.

It might help for the BMAT.

In terms of Physics/French, if you don't want to do both, I'd suggest you choose the one you prefer or are better at.
Thanks very much for this! :biggrin: But is french a good contrasting subject?

French is a very good contrasting subject, as it's very different from the sciences, involves essay writing and as a modern language is well received by universities.
Reply 19
Thanks everyone again! You have helped so much :smile::tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest