The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

How do you bloody afford uni?!

Hi, I'm hoping to go to uni in a few years and I'm shocked how little you receive in maintenance loans. I'm hoping to do paramedic practice, so thankfully I won't have to pay tuition, but with the loans it's something like £400-£450 a months and that's just not enough to live any kind of normal, fun life. I'll try and get a job down there but seen as I'd be on placement every week it'd be hard to find one as I know they prefer people with more flexibility. Any tips/advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You learn how to be a student and scrounge like never before.
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Original post by BigJ97
Hi, I'm hoping to go to uni in a few years and I'm shocked how little you receive in maintenance loans. I'm hoping to do paramedic practice, so thankfully I won't have to pay tuition, but with the loans it's something like £400-£450 a months and that's just not enough to live any kind of normal, fun life. I'll try and get a job down there but seen as I'd be on placement every week it'd be hard to find one as I know they prefer people with more flexibility. Any tips/advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bell up mummy? :s-smilie: But yes, a job is a good start. Budgeting. Might wanna nix "fun" out of the equation :redface:
Original post by BigJ97

Posted from TSR Mobile

Start saving now? If you're able to, it can be a big help.

Also, some of the students I know can get by on £15 a week for food, so its definitely possible. Being creative with meals, sensible shopping etc can stop it being boring. That might free up money for other things.
Just make a big meal and it lasts for days. A £4~ curry can last me 4 days which is like £1 a day. A big box of Weetabix for £5 can give you breakfast for weeks if you buy milk once a week or so. You just need to budget. :smile:
I'll echo what others have said!

Budget!

I live on around £250/month, and that's including fun, so you definitely can have fun, you just have to ration it - which is what you'd be doing if you took the route of getting a full time job and going straight into work
Another tip actually, if you're going to be based in Brighton, is to shop at Aldi. It's cheap but decent quality. Also, if you can't live without meat, I have one friend who swears by this wholesale place which also sells to the general public. Meat, cheese, even vegetables can be bought in large quantities for low prices and you can freeze the meat. Definitely worthwhile knowing about (and it's right by the student part of town).
Reply 7
Cheers everyone this has really helped and calmed me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending