The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels

I'm currently in Y11 and in the process of applying to colleges or sixth forms. I really can't decide if I want to do Architecture or Medicine at uni, and my A levels will really affect that. I'm certain I'm doing maths at A level, and for architecture I was going to do physics, fine art, and chemistry on top of that, and chemistry, fine art and biology for medicine.

How are these A levels and what are Architecture and Medicine like at uni? Also, what are the job prospects like? Because I keep reading and keep being told that I won't get a job with Architecture and that it's really difficult to because of the economy.
Medicine has good job prospect, satisfaction etc. Long hours and stressful though. So only do Medicine if you're prepared for that, and make sure you have the passion.

Architecture has low job prospect and should only really be done by those who are really really talented and passionate, and are willing to sacrifice many years of their lives studying architecture and then ending up working in another field. But again, if you come from a good income family background and you're not worried about the financials then go for it.

But it's two completely different areas, think hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not try all three sciences? Do you really need Fine Art?
Perhaps bio, chem, maths and art would be a perfect balance? It's not entirely necessary for you to have Physics for architecture.
Do chem, bio, physics and art and you keep all options open :smile: Do maths as well and it's even better! Then you can decide what to drop after making your mind up about whether you're applying for medicine or architecture.
Reply 5
Thanks guys! I think it's a matter of finding what I really want to do. :smile:
I thought about doing all three sciences but I wasn't sure if it might be too hard? The sixth form I'm applying to only takes 4 A levels as well, and I went to their open evening the other day and they said there was going be some changes next year so that confused me a bit.
I know it's early to decide, but I really want to go to UCL as well and their website says that they like variety in their students A levels ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest