The Student Room Group

Do You Like Electronic Music?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BreakingBadx
Sweet, thanks :biggrin:

I like Take Over Control by Afrojack (posted a link in my reply to Profesh above - sorry, TSR is only allowing me to post one video per post for some reason! :eek:). Nero's "Promises" and "Me & You" are great too. And Madeon's "Finale" if that counts as electronic? Also, these ones from the ones Ruthless Dutchman posted:

you seem like a mainly poppy/liquid dnb, bit of house and dubstep thrown in there as well

you might wanna check out brookes brothers, sub focus, koan sound and overwerk

i tentatively recommend noisia, hybrid minds and hucci
(edited 9 years ago)
I like some electronic music, but a lot of the more popular electronica is just not to my taste. I like 80s style synths, less of a fan of popular clubbing-style dubstep electro.
Original post by Arithmeticae
you seem like a mainly poppy/liquid dnb, bit of house and dubstep thrown in there as well

you might wanna check out brookes brothers, sub focus, koan sound and overwerk

i tentatively recommend noisia, hybrid minds and hucci

Thanks man! Sorry, I missed your edit :redface:

I'll give those a listen and get back to you. :biggrin:

suirrel
I like some electronic music, but a lot of the more popular electronica is just not to my taste. I like 80s style synths, less of a fan of popular clubbing-style dubstep electro.

Post some of the synths you like! Would love to listen to them :smile:
Thanks man! Sorry, I missed your edit :redface:

I'll give those a listen and get back to you. :biggrin:

oh whoops, didn't see your other posts about boards of canada and that kind of stuff :tongue:

you might like aphex twin, boxcutter, burial, xxyyxx, a/t/o/s, massive attack, shackleton, carbon based lifeforms and sorrow

also, check out this channel, one of my faves for the more trippy stuff :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Post some of the synths you like! Would love to listen to them :smile:

Just going through my itunes library, here's some good songs from these artists (though you should check out their discographies because there's nothing like chilling in the dark for an hour listening to an album all the way through with your eyes shut ;o )

Ladytron, Alphaville, Freezepop, Goldfrapp, I Blame Coco, La Roux, Kraftwerk, Ladyhawke, New Order, Royksopp, Stars, STRFKR, Twin Sister

Hope you enjoy!
First of all, props to OP not calling it EDM :banana:

but yeah, there's a whole world of electronic music, and I hate it when someone thinks electronic music is represented by only what Calvin Harris and David Guetta do. I don't mind everyone listening to the poppy house and the big room, but they should explore to all the hidden gems out there rather than just listen to the new Showtek 'banger' and whatever that's on the chart.

But there is one thing I absolutely hate about it going mainstream, vocals. Nearly every song tries but force cheesy and awfully sung lyrics to cater to the masses

so yeah, depends what you like

oh and I like a range of stuff from progressive house, tropical house, deep house, future bass, ambient dub, chillstep, etc etc
(edited 9 years ago)
No worries, its lovely to see how open minded you are :smile:

If you enjoy trance then Armin Van Buuren's album 'Intense' is worth a listen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Moved to music :smile:
Love all types of trance from trouse to to uplifting trance to prog trance but I'm also a fan of electro house like Hardwell and DVLM.

Currently seeking the sounds of pure trance :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-jones-music/sam-jones-live-magic-niceto-buenos-aires-181014
Original post by TheNacho63
No worries, its lovely to see how open minded you are :smile:

If you enjoy trance then Armin Van Buuren's album 'Intense' is worth a listen.

Without sounding like a dick, AVB's Intense album isn't really trance trance. Don't get me wrong, I like all forms of trance and I'm a huge fan of AVB and I even have tickets for Armin Only in December and ASOT in February '15. I would say Intense is mainly commercial trouse for the uneducated (no offence)! The track with Trevor Guthrie or Ping Pong isn't really trance at all.!!
Original post by IcEmAn911
Without sounding like a dick, AVB's Intense album isn't really trance trance. Don't get me wrong, I like all forms of trance and I'm a huge fan of AVB and I even have tickets for Armin Only in December and ASOT in February '15. I would say Intense is mainly commercial trouse for the uneducated (no offence)! The track with Trevor Guthrie or Ping Pong isn't really trance at all.!!

First of all lucky :P

and I knew you would bring that up but for someone that doesn't listen to the sort of music Intense is a good album to get into genre then you can explore stuff like 138
I like electronic music and i listen to many different types from big room to hardstyle. I'm curremtly loving hardstyle and i really want to go to defqon1 or tomorrowland next year if i have the money if not then i will probably go to either cream fields or edc uk. My fav artists include netsky, hardwell, armin van buuren, bass modulators, tim berg, nero, gareth emery and darren styles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I love it! I'm more into Classic House though
I listen to a lot of EDM; I like downtempo, chillout and trip-hop. Techno's also good :tongue:
Thanks :smile: I don't exactly know, sorry... Just something that's considered electronic but that I still like? I liked some of the songs Ruthless Dutchman posted above (see my post) if that's any help :redface:

I don't like things that sound like a random collection of beats put together (like what Autechre etc. seem to put out). I like things like this:

[video="youtube;ti-39pAqel8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-39pAqel8[/video]

What follows may leave your ears more perplexed than relaxed, but in my view treads a considered path between accessible and obscure without veering into the realm of formulaic, anodyne commercial dross (which the above sadly typifies);

Spoiler

(That list took me a half-hour to compile, so you'd better listen to them all.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
What follows may leave your ears more perplexed than relaxed, but in my view treads a considered path between accessible and obscure without veering into the realm of formulaic, anodyne commercial dross (which the above sadly typifies);

Spoiler

(That list took me a half-hour to compile, so you'd better listen to them all.)

Thanks so, so much for spending half an hour doing that, man! Those were amazing :biggrin: I liked literally all of them - gonna pick them up on iTunes/wherever I can find them for sale :yep:

Do those songs fall under a particular sub-genre? (I'll see if I can find more music like that). Or is it just a case of going for ones with a particular "sound" and being familiar with all the artists?
First of all lucky :P

and I knew you would bring that up but for someone that doesn't listen to the sort of music Intense is a good album to get into genre then you can explore stuff like 138

Haha, you know me too well :wink: Agreed, Intense along with compilations like A State of Trance, Pure Trance and Universal Religion are a good way to start as you get to experience the various sounds of trance. I'm currently exploring the dark sounds of 140+ with DJs like Indecent Noise and Robbie van Doe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IcEmAn911
Haha, you know me too well :wink: Agreed, Intense along with compilations like A State of Trance, Pure Trance and Universal Religion are a good way to start as you get to experience the various sounds of trance. I'm currently exploring the dark sounds of 140+ with DJs like Indecent Noise and Robbie van Doe.

Even ASOT is a bit Trousey/Prog House but its still great consider we listen to all sorts. Definitely enjoying the ore uplifting stuff and listening to Aly & Fila and FSOE a lot more.
Don't see the appeal of it at all, I don't class it as music. It's just nonsense and tiresome samey electronic rhythms rehashed again, and again and again
Even ASOT is a bit Trousey/Prog House but its still great consider we listen to all sorts. Definitely enjoying the ore uplifting stuff and listening to Aly & Fila and FSOE a lot more.

Trance in itself has become such a massive genre and you can get some right snobs who look down on certain 'trouse' DJs. I love it all! ASOT is nice to listen to as Armin does vary his style to try and incorporate all aspects of trance, I remember when he did episode 666 which was exclusive to dark/psy trance :smile:

I love A&F, have lost count the amount times I've seen Fadi this year. Did you do FSOE300 at MOS a few months ago (night before SW4)?

Quick Reply

Latest