The Student Room Group

Boyfriend thinks I'm sheltered

Basically, I'm really irritated that just because I haven't put a major foot wrong in life, my boyfriend seems to think I'm sheltered and it really grinds my gears. He knows it does but doesn't seem to think anything of teasing me about it, despite my protestations.

I'm 22 and doing a Master's right now and have had pretty good grades and responsible roles throughout my education. My family isn't wealthy but we know how to save and I'm quite sensible financially as a result. BUT I've lived away from home for years, lived abroad, and can party until the cows come home.

He, however, didn't do as well at school, dropped out of college, had a kid at 20 and has no savings to his name at the age of 29. He's also not as experienced culturally, and in some ways, I've opened his eyes to the world....so shouldn't that make me LESS sheltered?

It's just really rubbing me up the wrong way that he jokingly puts me down because of it, just because he cares less about things. How can I re-word this to him without sounding too upset about it? (He'll only tease me more for letting this get to me)

Scroll to see replies

Being sheltered means being protected from unpleasant realities of life.

It doesn't really make sense to call you sheltered just because you're prudent. Maybe if your boyfriend had paid more attention in school he'd know the difference.

Tbh, it sounds like it's the only way he has of massaging his own ego - pretending that failing out of things is the same as gaining life experience, and that he's therefore more 'worldly' as a result of his failures.
When he jokingly puts you down just 'joke' back and put him down. Simple, either he'll realise what he's being doing and stop or get upset, in which case you explain that it upsets you too.
Reply 3
Not being sheltered doesn't mean having a kid at 20. In some ways I'd argue that his failures don't necessarily even mean by default that he's "street smart".

He sounds far less intelligent than you. Are you sure this guy is good for you if this has driven you to make a post on TSR?
Reply 4
Original post by TurboCretin
Being sheltered means being protected from unpleasant realities of life.

It doesn't really make sense to call you sheltered just because you're prudent. Maybe if your boyfriend had paid more attention in school he'd know the difference.

Tbh, it sounds like it's the only way he has of massaging his own ego - pretending that failing out of things is the same as gaining life experience, and that he's therefore more 'worldly' as a result of his failures.

That's just what I thought! I told him last week (when he last said it) that just because I hadn't made a major life mistake yet that it, it doesn't mean that I'm sheltered. He just kept disagreeing and laughing at the fact that he thought I was irritated by it.
Reply 5
Original post by Kaiju
Not being sheltered doesn't mean having a kid at 20. In some ways I'd argue that his failures don't necessarily even mean by default that he's "street smart".

He sounds far less intelligent than you. Are you sure this guy is good for you if this has driven you to make a post on TSR?

Thank you, that was exactly my argument last week, but he was having none of it and just kept laughing at me.

What he lacks in book smarts, he makes up for in sense of humour and fun. I'm starting to wonder if he is any good for me, as it's not nice for anyone to feel ridiculed in their relationship. But at the same time, he comes from a family where their main interactions center around making fun of each other..maybe that's where it comes from? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by joker12345
When he jokingly puts you down just 'joke' back and put him down. Simple, either he'll realise what he's being doing and stop or get upset, in which case you explain that it upsets you too.

I may give that a go...but it'd be more harsh to point out his life failures and wouldn't that mean stooping to his level?
Why are you even with this loser....?!
Reply 8
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Why are you even with this loser....?!

It sounds sad but he's the only person that I've felt real chemistry with. We've been together for 3 years (with ups and downs, of course) and he's my best friend, so it's hard to walk away.
Original post by Anonymous
It sounds sad but he's the only person that I've felt real chemistry with. We've been together for 3 years (with ups and downs, of course) and he's my best friend, so it's hard to walk away.

You've been together since you were 19...You didn't really give it much of a chance to find chemistry with anyone else. He just seems like a bit of a waster if I'm honest, plus the fact he's had a kid. No one should have to be a step mum at your age!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You've been together since you were 19...You didn't really give it much of a chance to find chemistry with anyone else. He just seems like a bit of a waster if I'm honest, plus the fact he's had a kid. No one should have to be a step mum at your age!

You're right about that, I guess what I mean is, it was my first relationship where I actually felt something (I'm the kind of person that had a huge wall up).
He does ambition which I can't knock him for, but it'll more than likely take a while to reach it. And that's another thing, I always said I'd never go for someone with children but I guess I overlooked a lot when we got together :frown:
Basically, I'm really irritated that just because I haven't put a major foot wrong in life, my boyfriend seems to think I'm sheltered and it really grinds my gears. He knows it does but doesn't seem to think anything of teasing me about it, despite my protestations.

I'm 22 and doing a Master's right now and have had pretty good grades and responsible roles throughout my education. My family isn't wealthy but we know how to save and I'm quite sensible financially as a result. BUT I've lived away from home for years, lived abroad, and can party until the cows come home.

He, however, didn't do as well at school, dropped out of college, had a kid at 20 and has no savings to his name at the age of 29. He's also not as experienced culturally, and in some ways, I've opened his eyes to the world....so shouldn't that make me LESS sheltered?

It's just really rubbing me up the wrong way that he jokingly puts me down because of it, just because he cares less about things. How can I re-word this to him without sounding too upset about it? (He'll only tease me more for letting this get to me)

He is going to hold you back - you need to move on. I personally wouldn't touch someone like him with a bargepole - you can do so much better
He is doing it because it touches a nerve, not because it's true. He's obviously getting some enjoyment out of doing that and knowing that it is winding you up. So tell him completely seriously that enough is enough, the joke ends here, and if he has any respect for you then it is not to be brought up again. Up to you what you do if he then continues, knowing that you consider the topic to be both disrespectful and closed.
Original post by joker12345

You sound charming.
Original post by Crumpet1
He is doing it because it touches a nerve, not because it's true. He's obviously getting some enjoyment out of doing that and knowing that it is winding you up. So tell him completely seriously that enough is enough, the joke ends here, and if he has any respect for you then it is not to be brought up again. Up to you what you do if he then continues, knowing that you consider the topic to be both disrespectful and closed.

This is word for word what I would do/suggest. Good post.
I wouldn't say you were sheltered. I would say you were:

a) Sensible and logical in your approach to life
b) Lucky that you haven't had any major curveballs thrown at you

But that doesn't make you sheltered. Sheltered would be that bad things are happening but others are protecting you from them.

If you've got to the age of 22 without anything major bad happening to you then IMO that's something to feel both proud of and grateful for.
Original post by Rooster523
You sound charming.

Thank you. :smile:

Hi OP,

I think your bf is being quite insecure and putting his insecurities on you. Compared to you, he knows he doesn't have a lot and is punching above his weight. Essentially it's emotional bullying, I'm not sure how frequent he says this, but clearly it is getting to you, if you're asking for advice on it. My ex was similar to that, he wasn't too good looking and worked full time in Argos, whereas with me, I used to get approached by guys a lot and had my foot into a career I loved. He used to call me fat, geeky, spoilt, bratty etc. When in reality it was his own insecurities putting it on me, because he wished he had a decent wage and job to go to, because he hated his. He also used to put me down in front of his friends and quite frankly embarrass me.

You need to speak to him about it, otherwise it is going to get worse. Tbh, if I were you, I would leave the relationship, not because of what he has said, but because you deserve to date someone on your level, someone who appreciates saving and hard work. Not someone who has made a bunch of mistakes in their life, then says they came out a stronger person and considers you a weaker person. I'm not sure if he treats you differently, or badly but PM me if you need advice!
That's just what I thought! I told him last week (when he last said it) that just because I hadn't made a major life mistake yet that it, it doesn't mean that I'm sheltered. He just kept disagreeing and laughing at the fact that he thought I was irritated by it.

Sounds like he had no good argument against what you were saying.

Don't play chess with pigeons. They'll knock the pieces over, crap all over the board and think they've won anyway.
Sounds like he's just trying to make himself feel better about failing life and being so inadequate compared to you by putting you down. Seriously though, are you really sure he's good for you? I mean, why not get a guy who's on your same level intellectually and financially too? You'll have a much better life.

Latest

Trending

Trending