The Student Room Group

15, In year 11, aspiring doctor, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Izzyyyyy
Well if I don't get the grades I need (Coming from the school I go to, we got told that to make a competitive application we have to ignore criteria and realistically you won't get into medicine with less than 6 A*s at GCSE and 3 A's at ALEVEL) I will probably either go into research science or something :smile: but it will happen, as I am predicted 9/10 A*s at GCSE and hopefully I can do well at Alevel too, though I heard it's really difficult

Good luck, you have a good attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What inspires you to work hard to become a doctor when you have kids around you who don't care about their education? Do you have surround yourself with like-minded people or it just an intrinsic thing?

What are your parents occupation?
Latin was one of the easier gcse subjects for me xD I did find Latin difficult initially but in year 11 I made myself learn all the grammar and vocab which made Latin so much more enjoyable as everything suddenly made sense :tongue: (plus I came out with an A* :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Latin was one of the easier gcse subjects for me xD I did find Latin difficult initially but in year 11 I made myself learn all the grammar and vocab which made Latin so much more enjoyable as everything suddenly made sense :tongue: (plus I came out with an A* :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thanks! There are a few subjects I am a bit worried about (mainly french) but it won't be the end of the world if I don't get what I need :smile: Alevels are more important anyways, so as long as I don't completly flop (not get 1 A* for example, or get like lots of B's) then it's fine :smile: I am not completly sure yet, was considering Queen Mary, heard that is really good for medicine, or imperial. A few years ago I really wanted to go to Oxford or Cambridge but since last year when someone from my school applied and didn't get in with all A* at alevel and 10 a* at gcse I have been a bit.... Hesitant :smile:

That's the right attitude :smile: you'll be brilliant anyway, if I'm honest the reason I didn't hit my target had a lot to do with a number of extenuating circumstances so try not to complicate your life this year :wink:

I'd say if you do get that 9/10A* prediction and you're hitting the 90% AS UMS you need for Oxbridge, you should go for it :smile: It's alright being academically able, but if the admissions team don't think you'd make a good doctor they won't let you in. You seem like a nice person so I don't think you'll have a problem :smile: I haven't looked at Queen Mary or Imperial (I'm -probably- applying for Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Sheffield) but I've heard great things about them too.

Don't worry too much about French, it's easier than you think to hit the top grade- I completely messed up my second speaking exam but because I did so well in the papers, it meant I got that A*. And now I'm doing it for AS (mad).
Can we not... Doing OCR Latin and I don't even know what I signed myself up for. :/
My brain cells hurt. (only this year left and I'll never have to talk about declensions and ablative absolutes ever again. :biggrin: Though going to do GCSE greek in sixth form because i have a death wish. :smile:)
Reply 46
Original post by Arithmeticae
lol just no

even if it is harder, it would be viewed the same as any other gcse

and idk what you're on about with the well known stuff but it doesn't matter at all how 'prestigious' a board is... :s-smilie:

Hi, I have done a Latin GCSE with WJEC and OCR.
The reason I did the OCR one after doing OCR in year 9 was because, unfortunately, universities value some exam boards more than others, and the OCR one looks better as it is quite a bit more difficult.
Not wanting to sound rude or ignorant btw, just thought I'd give my opinion seeing as I have done both :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Yh i'm doing additional language
Same! Messalina and these short stories on growing up in Rome

Oh we havnt heard anything about any stories yet, Messalina is so weord though. What is she even doing though! Kind of feel sorry for her though as she was like 16-17 and Claudius was like 45 :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Ggmu!
Good luck, you have a good attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by h3isenberg
There is no discrimination against exam boards. Otherwise all Welsh students would really struggle to get into medicine.

To be fair, all students struggle to get into medicine. I think there's less discrimination between exam boards and more about their extra-curricular activities.
Reply 50
Original post by grassntai
What inspires you to work hard to become a doctor when you have kids around you who don't care about their education? Do you have surround yourself with like-minded people or it just an intrinsic thing?

What are your parents occupation?

Well honestly many many people at my school actually care a lot about their education. I have many friends who want to become lawyers and doctors and scientists, especially in my science set. The few people who don't care will probably leave before sixth form anyways. And my parents are both interpreters but my mum works in the courts and my dad with the nhs :smile:
Original post by ellie98
The reason I did the OCR one after doing OCR in year 9 was because, unfortunately, universities value some exam boards more than others, and the OCR one looks better as it is quite a bit more difficult.
Not wanting to sound rude or ignorant btw, just thought I'd give my opinion seeing as I have done both :smile:

afaik most uni's really aren't that bothered about gcse's unless you're considering medicine or oxford, and even then they don't really say much about which ones they want, just that a certain amount of a* grades or passes in certain subjects are required (and i've never heard anything about the board)

can you please tell me who you heard this from because imo it seems stupid for someone to be disadvantaged for something that is out of their control (most students don't really have a choice in which board they take)

sorry if this sounds kind of ranty (it's not meant to :tongue:), but i'm just interested to know where you've been hearing this from :smile:

I am so sad as I answered all the questions in detail but my phone died before I could reply :frown:

okay, briefly, my favourite album is ed sheeran x,

I want to do medicine because I love science and helping and communicating with people so it's a good balance,

my backup is either research or law (considering taking English lit alevel for this purpose),

I have not met any famous people but simon cowell drove his limo down my street once to tell an xfactor candidate they are the wild card (he lived across the road),

I would want to read minds (as long as I could turn it off sometimes, could get really annoying)

if I ruled the world for a day I would impose a certain ammount that every developed country has to pay towards a cure for Ebola as I'm sure if IT was here in the UK the government would react completly differently, but people are till dying,

urmm and marvel ftw:smile:

oh wow didn't expect such a long reply XD

btw checked out your profile and i think the school you go to is pretty close to mine as well :tongue:

good luck with medicine, you certainly seem to have the right attitude for it :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by strawberrysnow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am trying to do that, I have mocks straight after half term so revising so much vocab :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by Bethaaaaany
That's the right attitude :smile: you'll be brilliant anyway, if I'm honest the reason I didn't hit my target had a lot to do with a number of extenuating circumstances so try not to complicate your life this year :wink:

I'd say if you do get that 9/10A* prediction and you're hitting the 90% AS UMS you need for Oxbridge, you should go for it :smile: It's alright being academically able, but if the admissions team don't think you'd make a good doctor they won't let you in. You seem like a nice person so I don't think you'll have a problem :smile: I haven't looked at Queen Mary or Imperial (I'm -probably- applying for Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Sheffield) but I've heard great things about them too.

Don't worry too much about French, it's easier than you think to hit the top grade- I completely messed up my second speaking exam but because I did so well in the papers, it meant I got that A*. And now I'm doing it for AS (mad).

Oooh yes I forgot about durham! And awh you are so nice, and let's hope :smile: as I am so so much better at the listening and reading than I am at the controlled assessments! I remember there was a time when I was considering taking french, oh how my views have changed :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by turn-to-page394
Can we not... Doing OCR Latin and I don't even know what I signed myself up for. :/
My brain cells hurt. (only this year left and I'll never have to talk about declensions and ablative absolutes ever again. :biggrin: Though going to do GCSE greek in sixth form because i have a death wish. :smile:)

Haha GCSE Greek sounds really interesting! They offer GCSE astrology at my school as a wednesday activity or something, sounds pretty cool :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ellie98

Yeah I get you :smile: we didn't have a choice so :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by stargirl63
To be fair, all students struggle to get into medicine. I think there's less discrimination between exam boards and more about their extra-curricular activities.

Yeah that's what I heard, I have never really heard anything about uni's bothering about exam boards, but I am trying to do as much voluntary work and stuff as I can to build up that extracurricular portfolio :wink:
Reply 57
Yeah, you do
Haha GCSE Greek sounds really interesting! They offer GCSE astrology at my school as a wednesday activity or something, sounds pretty cool :smile:

I like it better than Latin atm :biggrin: (just a taster club at the moment but it's really interesting so going to give it a go for next year!).
Go along and try it! I don't really know much about it - not offered at my school :frown:. Sounds a bit like astronomy tbh... But probably way different actually now i think about it....
Original post by stargirl63

It's really competitive, wouldn't say a struggle. It's not just GCSE and A level grades that are considered, but maybe an entrance test (UKCAT/BMAT), personal statement (volunteering, work experience, extracurriculars, motivation) and strenuous interviews.

That poster who I was replying to typically says a lot of rubbish :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest