The Student Room Group

anyone doing 5 A2s?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanb97
I am applying for medicine. Are you applying for maths ? (Maths is my 5th choice if I don't get this year)

If you don't mind me asking, was your personal statement Medicine based or did you somehow manage to cover both Medicine and Maths?
Original post by ryanb97
UCL hbu ? i am guessing oxbridge XD

Yup cambridge is the dream :rolleyes:
Original post by serendipity-
If you don't mind me asking, was your personal statement Medicine based or did you somehow manage to cover both Medicine and Maths?

UCL asked for a seperate PS .. So I did

There was literally no mention of maths in my medicine one (around half a sentence)

Original post by Davothebigafro
Yup cambridge is the dream :rolleyes:

With AFM you will be fine Brahh .. I am guessing you have worked through silkos booklets - what modules are you self teaching ?
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would you want to do more than 3 (4 at a stretch) A2s? You're not going to learn anything meaningful about the subject, since you'll have no time at all for independent study- which is basically the point of advanced levels, that you get the chance to learn more like an undergraduate and enquire more deeply into your subject- and the qualifications are going to be redundant soon anyway, given Gove's caprice. Top universities like Oxbridge, UCL, etc. don't even care that much how many GCSEs/A levels you did- they want to know how you think. Doing 5/6/7/32 A2s like most of TSR seems to do just looks like another way of condemning yourself to the pointlessness of our current system of checklist/hoop-jumping education. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.
Original post by ryanb97
With AFM you will be fine Brahh .. I am guessing you have worked through silkos booklets - what modules are you self teaching ?

err im still working through the booklets, i've been doing a mixture of STEP/MAT (i've got MAT for imperial), and i'm self teaching C4 M1/3/4/5 S3/4 D2,
Original post by lyricalvibe
How's the workload? Why are you doing it? How do you manage your time?

I knew a girl at my old 6th form who did biology, chemistry, physics, maths, further maths and general studies (which was compulsory). She got AAAAAD (the D being in general studies).
A friend of mine did 24 A-levels.You heard it!24 A-levels!:0
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ryanb97
I am applying for medicine. Are you applying for maths ? (Maths is my 5th choice if I don't get this year)

None of them are 'bad' it's just that they all require time .. and that's what I don't have a lot of. (Well I do but I procastinate too much)

For English language I got an A on results day... So I remarked ...and I got an A* (only just .. But it's still an A*) and no problem
Hbu ?

Hah, hopefully I'll manage :smile:
Props.I got an A-after remark- in the exam and a B overall. I resat in year 11 got near full ums in the exam and an A overall as i kept my B controlled assesment from year 10 due to lazyness and thinking I'd manage full ums :rolleyes:

Original post by NineBurgundy
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would you want to do more than 3 (4 at a stretch) A2s? You're not going to learn anything meaningful about the subject, since you'll have no time at all for independent study- which is basically the point of advanced levels, that you get the chance to learn more like an undergraduate and enquire more deeply into your subject- and the qualifications are going to be redundant soon anyway, given Gove's caprice. Top universities like Oxbridge, UCL, etc. don't even care that much how many GCSEs/A levels you did- they want to know how you think. Doing 5/6/7/32 A2s like most of TSR seems to do just looks like another way of condemning yourself to the pointlessness of our current system of checklist/hoop-jumping education. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Original post by Emma:-)
I knew a girl at my old 6th form who did biology, chemistry, physics, maths, further maths and general studies (which was compulsory). She got AAAAAD (the D being in general studies).
Hah, hopefully I'll manage :smile:
Props.I got an A-after remark- in the exam and a B overall. I resat in year 11 got near full ums in the exam and an A overall as i kept my B controlled assesment from year 10 due to lazyness and thinking I'd manage full ums :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the grades, though, I'm saying that the grades are a pretty unimportant aspect of y12/13 education, in terms of actually learning about your subject- learning in depth and thinking about it, not just reciting what you're taught. I have no doubt that anyone can take loads of A2s- we all did it at GCSE- but all you'll get out of it is the experience of learning more stuff from memory, rather than exploring your subject. It just seems like a really soul-sapping experience.
I can't edit my initial post for some reason :/

I'm considering 5 for the exact reason you say not to. I personally want to do natural sciences of some variatipn at a top uni that means doing all sciences would aid me i need math to supplement the sciences and then i have further maths because i enjoy maths and want to learn more of it. Furhtermore, doing 5 A2s as a gwneral statement isn't very beneficial but 5 that could help on your course kinda looks better than an applicant with only 3 that can help on your course with the similar further reading/ums

Was one of your points a-levels are becoming redundant so why do 5 A-levels? With that mentality why do any? I don't understand what you were trying to accomplish with that?
No time? Plenty have managed before also the average oxbridge applicant has done 4 A2s from my understanding(i can't source this, just what I've heard from ask admission tutors threads) . Decent time nmanagement/dedication and passion for your choices and your sorted
Original post by Emma:-)

:eek: general studies tho...where's she now?

Original post by Skill Twix
A friend of mine did 24 A-levels.You heard it!24 A-levels!:0

I swear the record in 2 academic years is like 10-from a person i know at crgs? I heard their was someone in asia that had done more but cheated by doing things like biology on different exam boards with different names?
I'm not talking about the grades, though, I'm saying that the grades are a pretty unimportant aspect of y12/13 education, in terms of actually learning about your subject- learning in depth and thinking about it, not just reciting what you're taught. I have no doubt that anyone can take loads of A2s- we all did it at GCSE- but all you'll get out of it is the experience of learning more stuff from memory, rather than exploring your subject. It just seems like a really soul-sapping experience.

Ahh, yeah that's understandable. I was considering 5ASes with english literature just because i really enjoyed english but it would have no relevancy to my future so i didn't. I agree that just doing extra A-levels for the numbers/'cause you can is pretty pointless and could be detrimental instead.
I can't edit my initial post for some reason :/

I'm considering 5 for the exact reason you say not to. I personally want to do natural sciences of some variatipn at a top uni that means doing all sciences would aid me i need math to supplement the sciences and then i have further maths because i enjoy maths and want to learn more of it. Furhtermore, doing 5 A2s as a gwneral statement isn't very beneficial but 5 that could help on your course kinda looks better than an applicant with only 3 that can help on your course with the similar further reading/ums

Was one of your points a-levels are becoming redundant so why do 5 A-levels? With that mentality why do any? I don't understand what you were trying to accomplish with that?
No time? Plenty have managed before also the average oxbridge applicant has done 4 A2s from my understanding(i can't source this, just what I've heard from ask admission tutors threads) . Decent time nmanagement/dedication and passion for your choices and your sorted

I swear the record in 2 academic years is like 10-from a person i know at crgs? I heard their was someone in asia that had done more but cheated by doing things like biology on different exam boards with different names?

He didn't cheat or anything.Worked extremely hard.He followed the CIE board.Used to study 12 hours a day :s-smilie:

She is doing medicine at Edinburgh.
We finished out a-levels the last year before the A* grade came out, and she even got full marks in some units, so had she done them a year later she would have got 5 A*'s rather than A's (plus the D).
She also did a lot of work experience from what i heard, and she took a year out and did more experience before going to uni a year later. She got rejected by cambridge though, despite already having her grades- having 5 A's and 1 D, and having a load of experience.
Original post by Skill Twix
He didn't cheat or anything.Worked extremely hard.He followed the CIE board.Used to study 12 hours a day :s-smilie:

12 hours a day :eek4: where's he now?
12 hours a day :eek4: where's he now?

He went to Cambridge.Graduated.Now a journalist :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
She got 3A* for Maths, Biology and Chemistry. An A for Philosophy and a B for Psychology. Now, she took a gap year and does AS and A2 Further Maths and Physics because she wanted to do Maths at University.
. Super lol-am only doing three alevels-want to do medicine.
Reply 36

Same am applying to medicine.what r ur grades +where u applying?
Original post by Gadlad
. Super lol-am only doing three alevels-want to do medicine.

What can I say, my sister loves studying haha :/

Original post by Gadlad
Same am applying to medicine.what r ur grades +where u applying?

Oh, I'm in year 11 :/ You should ask ryanb97.

Hah, that just sounds like chaos!
Where is he now?

He's at Southampton doing Computer Science and he gets a scholarship so its definitely worth considering carrying them all on for the UCAS points!

Quick Reply

Latest