The Student Room Group

Woman arrested over tweet of red stilettos on the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samba
No, you don't. You need to look at all applicable laws....

Yes and the law concerning 'inciting religious hatred' is covered by the 'Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006'
Reply 61
Original post by Wahid-r
So what if it's disrespectful? So the misogyny in the koran isn't 'disrespectful'? The homophobia, the talk about how we all deserve to roast in a fire for all eternity? Need I go on?
What she did was make a symbolic gesture that this ideology is ugly. She could also have been challenging the idea of people violently opposing blasphemy.

Why should not we say and do blasphemous things? Why is religion put up on this pedestal that it can't be touched at all?

It is; it's also old and inconsequential to the majority of the people of the planet thankfully. I realise it's pandering Muslims in this country a little bit, in that it's showing the book respect you/I don't believe it deserves, but is it really worth the hassle to go out of your way to insult the people who do respect it?

Personally I don't believe so; it's just stupid and childish. Like wiping my ass with a pic of David Cameron and putting it on twitter. Difference is there isn't a billion fanatical followers of Cameron, many willing to blow themselves up to prove a point, so I wouldn't be putting people at risk by doing so.
Reply 62
Original post by Radicalathiest
Yes and the law concerning 'inciting religious hatred' is covered by the 'Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006'

It's also covered by the acts I mentioned :smile: How is this concept too difficult for you to understand? :confused:
Original post by Anonynous
Who sets those rights? The American Government? And we should all just bow down to them now?

I'm not talking specific law. I am talking basic principle here. Just as I have a right not to be tortured, or wrongfully imprisoned and to be given a fair trial, you have a right to think and feel how you wish.
Original post by Anonynous
Who sets those rights? The American Government? And we should all just bow down to them now?

Yes, you should. Peasant.
Original post by samba
It is; it's also old and inconsequential to the majority of the people of the planet thankfully. I realise it's pandering Muslims in this country a little bit, in that it's showing the book respect you/I don't believe it deserves, but is it really worth the hassle to go out of your way to insult the people who do respect it?

Personally I don't believe so; it's just stupid and childish. Like wiping my ass with a pic of David Cameron and putting it on twitter. Difference is there isn't a billion fanatical followers of Cameron, many willing to blow themselves up to prove a point, so I wouldn't be putting people at risk by doing so.

Well unfortunately it's far from inconsequential for a lot of people. I live in a place where it is the majority view, my family hold these views. I want to challenge the self-censorship we have to go through in my area (that ex-Muslims have to undergo) because these nutbags will attack us.

But yes, it was not a smart thing to do. That is assuming that she didn't realise what would happen.
Maybe she did it knowingly (probably unlikely, I agree), it's the only way we get progress it seems. Hopefully they'll one day abandon these archaic notions.
Original post by samba
It's also covered by the acts I mentioned :smile: How is this concept too difficult for you to understand? :confused:

then show me where 'inciting religious hatred' is covered in the acts you spoke about (remembering anything from pre 2006 will be negated by the 2006 law)
Reply 67
Original post by Radicalathiest
then show me where 'inciting religious hatred' is covered in the acts you spoke about (remembering anything from pre 2006 will be negated by the 2006 law)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_harassment,_alarm_or_distress
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Agreed, dumb move on her part totally but doesn't justify her arrest. Everyone has the right to insult religion. Or at least they should.

I thought you loved Islam?
Original post by KingBradly
I thought you loved Islam?

Lol, I really don't know why you think that based on like, one post where I said a man was stupid for going to a homophobic country to be gay. It's basically what I'm saying here too. She was incredibly stupid, but she should have the right to do it.

As I said negated by he 2006 law (you do know that new laws always take precedence don't you?)
Lol, I really don't know why you think that based on like, one post where I said a man was stupid for going to a homophobic country to be gay. It's basically what I'm saying here too. She was incredibly stupid, but she should have the right to do it.

I don't think she was 'stupid'. I think she was making a statement, and trying to provoke thought and discussion, which she managed to do. Is anyone that puts themselves at risk to try and provoke change 'stupid'?
Original post by zkrjebril
Okay, coming from a Muslim here.
1. I thought Turkey was a secularist hothouse? Wtf
2. Why is she doing that anyway? We're just used to it all by now, so she won't actually get any attention.
3. Cue the religion haters who will make things a lot more worse. This thread is going to the dogs.

You don't seem to be condemming the arrest.
I don't think she was 'stupid'. I think she was making a statement, and trying to provoke thought and discussion, which she managed to do. Is anyone that puts themselves at risk to try and provoke change 'stupid'?

That's not going to provoke change, that's just going to provoke her getting into trouble.

And yes, on an individual level, it is pretty stupid - get a whole load of people doing it and you may have yourself a point.
Original post by felamaslen
And we call Turkey a democracy.

I'm turkish, i don't even call it democracy anymore.
That's not going to provoke change, that's just going to provoke her getting into trouble.

And yes, on an individual level, it is pretty stupid - get a whole load of people doing it and you may have yourself a point.

What if a whole load of people do start doing it? What if the discussion this creates does lead to some change? The only way we're going to see the end of dogma like Islam is if people start rebelling against it.
What if a whole load of people do start doing it? What if the discussion this creates does lead to some change? The only way we're going to see the end of dogma like Islam is if people start rebelling against it.

Come on now, do you really think this was a savvy move on her part, or just another case of someone getting themselves into needless trouble where we'll all forget about it in a few days and nothing will change?
Yeah not to say she deserves to get arrested but, really, what she's basically done is the equivilant of swimming in a pool of gravy then going to a home for rescued dogs.
Come on now, do you really think this was a savvy move on her part, or just another case of someone getting themselves into needless trouble where we'll all forget about it in a few days and nothing will change?

Well considering her act and her arrest are being picked up by international news sources, I'd say she's already been pretty successful. If you are a liberal who supports free-speech and hates dogma then you should be applauding this woman.
Well considering her act and her arrest are being picked up by international news sources, I'd say she's already been pretty successful. If you are a liberal who supports free-speech and hates dogma then you should be applauding this woman.

I fully support free speech, and I fully agree she should have the unequivocal right to do what she did, but I still stand by my opinion that it was a stupid way to make a point. Antagonising the people you are trying to find some understanding from doesn't have a great record of success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending