The Student Room Group

On here every day - should I worry?

I love TSR and go on every day. At night, I always mean to only check my emails/look something up, but end up being on here till 3am.

I also find it much easier talking on here than in real life@uni (I do have a flatmate I get on really well with, but don't always see her around and I feel like I'm barging in on other people).

I'm worried that it's becoming an addiction and have considered banning myself from this site. What do you lot think?

Scroll to see replies

your post count's only 248.

that's not so bad is it?
Reply 2
Erm, it depends what else you have going on in your life.

I mean, I'm on here a lot (every day for hours) at the moment because my summer job has ended, all my mates are working full time and term doesn't start for another couple of weeks.

Once I'm back at uni I will barely be here at all. So I guess it depends what else you have in your life.
If its a problem then yes! Normal social life is more important. If your just on here for advice or because your bored then no its fine.
Reply 4
I am not sure what to advise. Personally I think uni is about the social aspect as much as the working aspect and hence I think that if TSR is getting in the way of your social life or work... then the answer is very simple one indeed. Ban yourself.
Squelchy

I mean, I'm on here a lot (every day for hours) at the moment because my summer job has ended, all my mates are working full time and term doesn't start for another couple of weeks.

Once I'm back at uni I will barely be here at all. So I guess it depends what else you have in your life.

I'm the same. :frown:
can you actually get addicted to this type of thing?

it might just be a phase which will pass in a little while.
Reply 7
Vampyrcorn

You can get addicted to anything if your twisted enough...
Thanks for all the advice so far, guys. What I'll do is try banning myself from here for a week.

If I get withdrawal symptoms, then I'll have to ban myself permanently. If I don't, then that's OK. Bye for a week, folks!
Reply 9
Haha, I can't be away from my forums for more than a week.

This place is such a huge forum though that there's posts every second pretty much so it's easy to be on here for hours on end.

Which reminds me...it's now past 3 o clock! Aaarghh!
I think some of us (me) should be very worried! I'm usually on here cos tv is crap, I work part time with unusual hours and there is nothing else better to do. I really need something constructive to do with my time.
I'm on here for hours at a time most days but only at night if others are in bed or my mates are at lectures when i'm not, i don't think its a problem, i'd never choose TSR over my mates. If my house mates are here we do stuff together, we chat and watch TV or go shopping or something. TSR is ok if you do other things too, but if you are not on it all day everyday then its fine.
er...maybe?
Reply 13
It's only a problem if you're badly neglecting important things for it.

Like Squelchy, at the moment it's still the holidays. I start uni in a week. My boyfriend is already at uni (a local one, so I still see him, but not as much cos he's busy) and so are a lot of my other friends. So at the moment, I have a lot of free time, and TSR is a pretty good way of passing the day. Not the whole day, may I add. I go on 1 other forum daily, and another 2 occasionally, and also talk to friends online. I'm also in the process of packing for uni.

But if I had other things to do (ie: when I start uni next week) I'll probably be on here a lot less.
I'm not really an addict to be perfectly honest.
Reply 15
I'm on here every day too - have been for a long time. It's just part of my list of sites that I check every day... just part of my routine.
I wasnt on for the last two days Oh Em Gee.

:confused:
Reply 17
I've had the flu for the past few days, so instead of being in bed moaning that im gonna die/the world is going to end, i thought i'd spend my time on here laughing at people. Its quite fun.
Reply 18
Squelchy

few i was getting scared i was alone in that, lol
Vampyrcorn

Alas, yes.

My advice - get yourself banned before you're hooked properly.

Latest

Trending

Trending