The Student Room Group

Should Women be paid the same prize money as Men for ALL sports?

Helen Grant says in a BBC article today that the pay gap needs to be closed, and that for 30% of sports, men are paid more than women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29744400

What do you guys think? Should we pool the millions of pounds generated by the Premier League and split it evenly between the PL and the WSL?

Scroll to see replies

No. Basic economics, supply and demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only if they are doing the same amount of work. The same pay in tennis, for example, is a farce because they only do 3 sets compared to the 5 that men do.
No.
Isn't prize money dependent on spectator attendance/TV rights, and spectators don't care about women's sports nearly as much? I'm all for fairness in the world but trying to force 'equality' like this is just pathetic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
no lol
No because they're not doing the same job. It's like working for two seperate companies, one which works you way harder but is more successful and expecting the same amount of money.

However I do think women who have the ability should be able to compete in mens sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The prize money at Wimbbles comes from the sale of tickets
Mens finals tickets sell for 5x the price of the womens finals , such is the disparity in the interest of the punters. Thats why there was a pay gap. The women whined and got it changed.
If anything it should be the men whining about the pay gap as the top women regularly earn more than the top men in the tournement by playing in doubles, but no, as usual, like most men, they just get on with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
The simple unavoidable truth is that men's sport is better and brings in more profit, and so it's logical that they get more money.

It's basic economics. How Mrs Grant can't grasp this basic fact is beyond me.
Reply 9
When women pull in the same crowds, the same investors, and the same profits from merchandise, then perhaps they deserve the same prize money.
Opps double post:colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Its the asda warehouse all over again. :smile:
No and people like Helen Grant should shut up.

Are we meant to deny the physical differences between men and women?

Should we campaign for equal prize money in disabled sport? What about junior events?

If people don't watch women's sport purely on merit then the prize money in a lot of sports shouldn't even be close to equal.

No matter how good looking a male model might be, he will never have the earning capacity of the top female models. Nobody complains about this, which is exactly as it should be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
The simple unavoidable truth is that men's sport is better and brings in more profit, and so it's logical that they get more money.

It's basic economics. How Mrs Grant can't grasp this basic fact is beyond me.

Shes a feminist. Their strong point is rhetoric not facts. ( Thomas Sowell)
Original post by Obiejess
No because they're not doing the same job. It's like working for two seperate companies, one which works you way harder but is more successful and expecting the same amount of money.

However I do think women who have the ability should be able to compete in mens sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are missing the point: even if women do work just as hard, they still don't deserve equal prize money.
Original post by pane123
I think you are missing the point: even if women do work just as hard, they still don't deserve equal prize money.

Imo, if they work just as hard and achieve the same standard they should be given the oppurtunity to play on the same field as the blokes. But they must meet the standards that the men have to live up to.
Nope.
Original post by Obiejess
Imo, if they work just as hard and achieve the same standard they should be given the oppurtunity to play on the same field as the blokes. But they must meet the standards that the men have to live up to.

If they play to the same standard then yes, but there are very few sports in which this is possible.

Helen Grant wants male and female footballers to be paid the same, which is nothing short of absurd.
I don't think so. Men's sport is widely more watched, men's sport (in tennis, I'm sure) often goes on for longer...etc etc.

If ratings go up and women were to play more sets, which I don't think many will be physically capable of, sure, but until then...
Original post by pane123
If they play to the same standard then yes, but there are very few sports in which this is possible.

Helen Grant wants male and female footballers to be paid the same, which is nothing short of absurd.

I agree. Hence what I said, it's like working for two different companies, one who does better than the other due to the employees abilities, and then expecting the same wage. Not gonna happen.

Quick Reply