The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Met / Middlesex

Has anyone been to Middlesex university london or london metropolitan and have any opinions on the accomodation / location ect ?
My friend is at Middlesex. He's having a good time there. :smile:
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by ellie397
Has anyone been to Middlesex university london or london metropolitan and have any opinions on the accomodation / location ect ?

London Met should not be considered.....what about Westminster or Brunel?
Reply 3
Iv'e heard some really bad reviews on london met.What are your thoughts on middlesex ? the only thing putting me off slightly is the location of the accomodation.
Iv'e heard some really bad reviews on london met.What are your thoughts on middlesex ? the only thing putting me off slightly is the location of the accomodation.

It's better than London Met.........at these lower end universities consider a sandwich course :smile:

What about Westminister? it is also a decent university
Reply 5
it doesn't do a teacher training course.This is why I have had to rule out a lot of uni's as usually only mets do teacher training courses.
it doesn't do a teacher training course.This is why I have had to rule out a lot of uni's as usually only mets do teacher training courses.

Why not a normal degree than a PGCE?
Reply 7
Middlesex is in a very suburban and pleasant area (even the Halls by the RAF musuem - that area has improved dramatically in the last few years), I would go so far as to say that there actually isn't much to do in Hendon. Going out is fairly limited, you will have to travel a bit for anything more than a couple of boring pubs. Either into central London, or maybe Hampstead if you have a few pounds. Otherwise Camden etc. I certainly wouldn't go to Harrow or anything.
Reply 8
I think you need to look at the NSS satisfaction of the course want to do at Londonmet rather than the overall university reputation. Some of the courses have 100% satisfaction and many in Faculty of Social Science and Humanities have many courses with satisfaction in the 90%. Ultimately it is the course you are going for.
Londonmet is an urban university on Holloway Rd with brilliant transport links. It does not have its own accommodation but there are loads of residences nearby some directly opposite the uni) and the accommodation bureau help you look for shared flats etc if that is what you prefer.
Go to an Open Day to get a real feel and compare properly. http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/studying/open-days/
Reply 9
Original post by Iqbal007
London Met should not be considered.

It is not possible for someone to disagree with anyone more strongly than I disagree with this, apparently baseless, statement (and the many others like it that abound on this website). I think that The Student Room's inhabitants are too often woefully misguided as to the purpose of education and as to the role of The University in the modern world: so many of you have bought, whole-heartedly, into New Labour ideaology. You seemingly believe that the purpose of education is to increase one's value within an all-powerful, commercial jobs market. That is not what education is. It is not what universities do. Education is for it's own sake. It is emancipatory, it is empowering and, in my opinion, needs to be available to everyone.

That is what London Met does and it does it well.

I have studied at one of the hallowed and TSR-revered Russell Group institutions. I have achieved the commodified and homogenous 2:1 that can be wrought from thoughtlessly following the path hegemonously dictated by all and sundry. And it was ok. But now I am undertaking a Masters qualification at London Met and it is comparing more than favourably: the breadth of experience and diversity across the student body is truly staggering. Throughout this experience I have had my world-view utterly shattered and robustly rebuilt with a far broader, global scope. Utterly life-changing and self-improving and arguably an experience unique to institutions of a certain ilk.

A final caveat: any system of ranking is flawed and open to manipulation, and any observation notably (and sometimes indelibly) alters the observed. Within all university ranking systems a significant weighting is given to the 'drop-out rate' of students. If an institution has a high 'drop-out rate' does that mean it is bad? or does it mean that it is simply offering, in greater numbers, opportunity for social mobility and taking on a more significant challenge? do some universities play a far worthier social-role than others and is that important to the student-experience?

I know what I believe and I know which institutions have the most of my respect.

I wish you all the very best with your studies and your futures.
Original post by Clip
Middlesex is in a very suburban and pleasant area (even the Halls by the RAF musuem - that area has improved dramatically in the last few years), I would go so far as to say that there actually isn't much to do in Hendon. Going out is fairly limited, you will have to travel a bit for anything more than a couple of boring pubs. Either into central London, or maybe Hampstead if you have a few pounds. Otherwise Camden etc. I certainly wouldn't go to Harrow or anything.

By the way, it takes only 20 minutes or so to get to central London by tube.
Original post by Jon1985
It is not possible for someone to disagree with anyone more strongly than I disagree with this, apparently baseless, statement (and the many others like it that abound on this website). I think that The Student Room's inhabitants are too often woefully misguided as to the purpose of education and as to the role of The University in the modern world: so many of you have bought, whole-heartedly, into New Labour ideaology. You seemingly believe that the purpose of education is to increase one's value within an all-powerful, commercial jobs market. That is not what education is. It is not what universities do. Education is for it's own sake. It is emancipatory, it is empowering and, in my opinion, needs to be available to everyone.

I have studied at one of the hallowed and TSR-revered Russell Group institutions. I have achieved the commodified and homogenous 2:1 that can be wrought from thoughtlessly following the path hegemonously dictated by all and sundry. And it was ok. But now I am undertaking a Masters qualification at London Met and it is comparing more than favourably: the breadth of experience and diversity across the student body is truly staggering. Throughout this experience I have had my world-view utterly shattered and robustly rebuilt with a far broader, global scope. Utterly life-changing and self-improving and arguably an experience unique to institutions of a certain ilk.

A final caveat: any system of ranking is flawed and open to manipulation, and any observation notably (and sometimes indelibly) alters the observed. Within all university ranking systems a significant weighting is given to the 'drop-out rate' of students. If an institution has a high 'drop-out rate' does that mean it is bad? or does it mean that it is simply offering, in greater numbers, opportunity for social mobility and taking on a more significant challenge? do some universities play a far worthier social-role than others and is that important to the student-experience?

I know what I believe and I know which institutions have the most of my respect.

I like your point of view to the concept of education in general, and definitely agree. I also appreciate your objective observations of the two universities you have attended. (I do not know about either of them, other than some reading on the web).
Regards,
Reply 12
Original post by Jon1985

I have a great deal of sympathy with your view that education should where possible be encouraged for its own sake, this creates an impossible conundrum in institutions like London Met.

Many such universities don't offer the same range of subjects as older institutions, and concentrate on "employable" subjects such as business, law and IT as well as new subjects like accountancy and nursing. As long as this is happening, there is no education for its own sake as the students themselves don't buy into your model of education.

I'm trying to get a handle on what you are saying with "Met does xyz well - education should be for everyone". Are you saying that students of all abilities should be allowed the opportunity to study at every level - and for the academically weaker students - this is the niche fulfilled by places like Met?
Reply 13
Original post by statsman
I like your point of view to the concept of education in general, and definitely agree. I also appreciate your objective observations of the two universities you have attended. (I do not know about either of them, other than some reading on the web).
Regards,

Thanks, I mostly wrote it because I was putting off writing an essay but I'm glad you appreciated it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Clip
I have a great deal of sympathy with your view that education should where possible be encouraged for its own sake, this creates an impossible conundrum in institutions like London Met.

Many such universities don't offer the same range of subjects as older institutions, and concentrate on "employable" subjects such as business, law and IT as well as new subjects like accountancy and nursing. As long as this is happening, there is no education for its own sake as the students themselves don't buy into your model of education.

I'm trying to get a handle on what you are saying with "Met does xyz well - education should be for everyone". Are you saying that students of all abilities should be allowed the opportunity to study at every level - and for the academically weaker students - this is the niche fulfilled by places like Met?

I think that's a very good point, and arguably true. I think that there is probably an opportunity for someone to robustly argue the merit of vocational-education to counter that point, but on the whole I'm more inclined to agree with you.

In relation to your question: I think that all universities have the ability to use their position to act as a catalyst for social mobility and to redress issues of social inequality and economic polarisation. I personally believe that not all universities acknowledge the potential for this role, some deliberately ignore it and others (like London Met) accept the challenge that this brings. I wouldn't describe this as catering to an 'academically weaker' student body, but rather as actively encouraging students who are not traditionally exposed to higher education to broaden their educative horizons. This works best when these students are amalgamated in with a broad and diverse student body.

I think that makes sense to me, but thanks for your question because it highlights that there is a line that has to be drawn: no institution should accept a student who is unable to thrive in an HE environment as it is not fair on that student (not least because of the expense).
(edited 9 years ago)
London Met is a University with a number of institutions at its heart. The broad paintbrush that most seem to apply to Londonmet is unfortunate as it really does have some excellent (and very well established) courses in all sorts of subjects. For an example do go and look at The Cass, London Metropolitan Universities Art, Architecture and Design Faculty. It is leading edge and brilliant.
The demographic is deliberately wide ranging and inclusive, this is a strength and does in no way weaken the graduate profile but allows a range of students to experience education at its best and to better their own futures. Indeed a catalyst for social mobility, locally, nationally and internationally.

I hope your essay went well Jon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending