The Student Room Group

IGCSE forum?

Do we have an IGCSE forum over here? If not, is it ok to discuss IGCSE here in the GCSE forum?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gkkiller
Do we have an IGCSE forum over here? If not, is it ok to discuss IGCSE here in the GCSE forum?

I don't think there is specifically...

And yes, it's fine. I do. :smile:
Reply 2
Ok, so can I start an IGCSE exam discussion thread here?
Ok, so can I start an IGCSE exam discussion thread here?

If you want to... Don't really see the need as it isn't all that different from GCSEs really and I would just ask questions with 'IGCSE' in the thread title... But by all means, if you want to, go ahead! I ain't the boss around here... Far from it. :biggrin: Far far far far from it. :smile:
Reply 4
Yes you can

If you were here in May there were bunch if IGCSE threads :P
If you have any question about CIE IGCSE feel free to ask I have done all the major subjects with the board

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by C0balt
Yes you can

If you were here in May there were bunch if IGCSE threads :P
If you have any question about CIE IGCSE feel free to ask I have done all the major subjects with the board

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tips on economics? I have my final exam tomorrow
Reply 6
Original post by NirvanV
Tips on economics? I have my final exam tomorrow

Oops forgot economics existed xD i didn't do eco lol

But i can say past paper for every subject since CIE LOVES repeating question! In my history exam this may, same question came up in paper 1 and paper 4.

But if its tomorrow, SLEEP WELL. i slept only 4h before maths paper 4, and it didnt turn out well (though got A* thanks to full mark in paper 2)

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see why IGCSE can't be discussed here :P

I'm doing IGCSE too for my core subjects :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by C0balt
Oops forgot economics existed xD i didn't do eco lol

But i can say past paper for every subject since CIE LOVES repeating question! In my history exam this may, same question came up in paper 1 and paper 4.

But if its tomorrow, SLEEP WELL. i slept only 4h before maths paper 4, and it didnt turn out well (though got A* thanks to full mark in paper 2)

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much.
I just have one question, are the grade boundaries or thresholds actually true because they are always really low? To get A in any subject, you just need about 70%
Reply 9
Original post by NirvanV
Thank you so much.
I just have one question, are the grade boundaries or thresholds actually true because they are always really low? To get A in any subject, you just need about 70%

No way that's true. I got a 75 in Hindi and only a B.
If you have any questions, I did six iGCSEs last year and got 5 A*s and an A (2 UMS off an A*) so I'm happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
No way that's true. I got a 75 in Hindi and only a B.

You are probably talking about UMS and not raw marks. You saw the 75 number in your results sheet/website, then it's your UMS%. In UMS%, 75 is indeed a B for every subject, and A is 80%, 90% is A*.
Raw mark grade boundaries are ridiculously low for some subject (eg English literature) and high for some subject (eg maths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by NirvanV
Thank you so much.

If they were released by CIE then yes it is indeed true. Check xtremepapers out and they have bunch of these.
Grade boundaries in raw marks vary massively between subjects. Maths is always quite high - around 90%. On the other hand, English literature, Co-ordinated science (double award science), History etc have ridiculously low grade boundaries and they are like 60-70% for an A lol. I have never checked Economics boundaries, but if you saw it to be 70% on grade threshold released by CIE then yes it is.

Confusion of 70%=B, 80%=A, 90%=A* comes from UMS %. When your raw marks (what you see on the grade boundaries) are converted to UMS scores these values will be true but even if you get 80% UMS, if you got 65% raw marks then 65% raw marks was an A standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by C0balt
If they were released by CIE then yes it is indeed true. Check xtremepapers out and they have bunch of these.
Grade boundaries in raw marks vary massively between subjects. Maths is always quite high - around 90%. On the other hand, English literature, Co-ordinated science (double award science), History etc have ridiculously low grade boundaries and they are like 60-70% for an A lol. I have never checked Economics boundaries, but if you saw it to be 70% on grade threshold released by CIE then yes it is.

Confusion of 70%=B, 80%=A, 90%=A* comes from UMS %. When your raw marks (what you see on the grade boundaries) are converted to UMS scores these values will be true but even if you get 80% UMS, if you got 65% raw marks then 65% raw marks was an A standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh so if I get 80% raw marks for a subject and the grade boundary for an A*, for instance is 75% or more, Ill get A*?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey hope you all people are either taking igcse or have given it. This year I will be giving physics, chem, maths, puremaths(or addmaths) computer and English. Unfortunately I am not strong in any of them and side by side it's must needed that i get straight a's. Now it will be a pleasing act if you guys gimme tips regarding them and suggest me books. I'm currently going thru edexcel books but they are not upto the mark. Not every detail is included in 'em. Hope you reply. Thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by Edminzodo
If you have any questions, I did six iGCSEs last year and got 5 A*s and an A (2 UMS off an A*) so I'm happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got any tips for English Language? Ive got my exam on 7th
Help me out then :frown: i want straight a's my subjects are English, maths puremaths physics chem and ict!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by ammadameen

November
Reply 19
Original post by NirvanV
Got any tips for English Language? Ive got my exam on 7th

Though I'm not the person you quoted, I got 6A*s and 2As so...

English language always has this structure:
- a continuous writing Letter/diary/report/interview etc based on a page long text
- 2 writer's effect questions based on the text
- 2nd text with 2 summary questions

Thus (as always) it is a good idea to practice past exam papers.

Know how to structure a formal letter and which words to use to be formal to appropriate degree in that context set. Obviously know how to structure other types of writing as well. Care about your grammar, especially common than-then, s-'s. Your-you're, there-their-they're. Make sure you don't use contraction such as it's when it's a formal writing (use it is). These little things can lose you marks. Also if you are overly formal in letter between friends for example, that can lose you marks as well.
There will be around 3 bullet points in the question all of which you MUST include (it says should, but they mean must). And read the question carefully - last year large number of people signed off as the daughter though it was supposed to be her mother.

As to the writer's effect question, highlighter comes in handy. Highlight words/expression that is worth talking about (metaphor, personification, irony etc) and do talk about them in your answer. Unlike the continuous writing question, they're lenient about grammar in this question as long as they can understand what you're saying, and they mostly care about what you got out of the line you quoted from the text. Practice!

In summary questions, highlighter again comes in handy (in fact it is useful for first question but forgot to mention and I'm too lazy to go up on my phone lol)
Highlight key points, and yes, summarise them lol. It just comes with practice, but your textbook will give you ways to do it so do read them. Large number of people lose marks by writing too much... it will tell you write no more than a page and a half (i don't remember but i think it was 1.5) allowing the size of your hand writing. Half a page each is just about good for average handwriting size

Check out this site
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tips

Also read examiner's reports etc on xtremepapers or gceguide, they got loads of mark schemes past papers grade boundaries as well.

And do remember the coursework essays are a large part of the final grade (it was 60% for my specification) so do them thoroughly :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest