The Student Room Group

When I write a personal statement next year should I mention...

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by blondelocks
OK!

Basically a few years ago now, I got kicked out of school and received (as you can imagine) terrible grades. I went to work for a few years and decided I wanted to study politics at university and so have had to retake GCSE's and am currently sitting my A-levels....

I believe for UCAS I will have to declare my original GCSE grades which ranged from E to G to U as well as the grades I got this year when retaking which were A's and B's.

Really my question here is should I, when I come to write a personal statement, include a brief explanation for my terrible performance at school and obviously link that to why I'm returning? I really have a terrible record from school and I'm worried that unless I address it then it'll hinder my chances of attaining a place at a top university.

Any help is much appreciated!

Your personal statement should not contain anything negative. You can ask your referee to address the issue in their reference.
Good luck.
Reply 2
OK!

Basically a few years ago now, I got kicked out of school and received (as you can imagine) terrible grades. I went to work for a few years and decided I wanted to study politics at university and so have had to retake GCSE's and am currently sitting my A-levels....

I believe for UCAS I will have to declare my original GCSE grades which ranged from E to G to U as well as the grades I got this year when retaking which were A's and B's.

Really my question here is should I, when I come to write a personal statement, include a brief explanation for my terrible performance at school and obviously link that to why I'm returning? I really have a terrible record from school and I'm worried that unless I address it then it'll hinder my chances of attaining a place at a top university.

No, I wouldn't dwell on your academic history in your personal statement. Focus on the positives (your interests, your current strengths etc.) and leave any explanation of academic history to your referee. This way, it will be viewed as a more objective account of your academic progress, and given your recent success at GCSE, will probably demonstrate how far you've come. Just make sure your PS is really good.

I can't speak from an admission tutor's perspective, but I can't imagine that your previous record will hinder you that much, as long as your current reference will be a positive one. I know a few people who've had 'unconventional' experiences with secondary education, and have gone on to do well at respectable unis. Good luck!
Thank you v. much guys!
OK!

Ideally, your educational history should be explained by your referee. Could you organise a meeting with your referee and discuss your situation with them? If extenuating circumstances were involved, ideally your referee needs to mention them.

The most important thing is that you now meet the GCSE requirements for your chosen course.

Mostly, your PS should be tightly focused on your course, however, if you want to include things like "On returning to education, I discovered an interest in X" that would be fine. Really, talking about what went wrong before will be a waste of characters. Admissions tutors understand that people mess up, and often aren't too interested in the details of exactly what went wrong.

If it will hinder you or not really depends on why you were excluded. If something like violence or dishonesty was involved, then that could present a problem in certain circumstances.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Ideally, your educational history should be explained by your referee. Could you organise a meeting with your referee and discuss your situation with them? If extenuating circumstances were involved, ideally your referee needs to mention them.

The most important thing is that you now meet the GCSE requirements for your chosen course.

Mostly, your PS should be tightly focused on your course, however, if you want to include things like "On returning to education, I discovered an interest in X" that would be fine. Really, talking about what went wrong before will be a waste of characters. Admissions tutors understand that people mess up, and often aren't too interested in the details of exactly what went wrong.

If it will hinder you or not really depends on why you were excluded. If something like violence or dishonesty was involved, then that could present a problem in certain circumstances.

Do you know to what extent they delve into your history? I mean will they contact my original school and want to the details etc. etc.

Secondly, my referee will likely be one of my current tutors, is it the norm for them to cover such (negative) issues as well as the obvious good stuff?

Many thanks!
Do you know to what extent they delve into your history? I mean will they contact my original school and want to the details etc. etc.

Secondly, my referee will likely be one of my current tutors, is it the norm for them to cover such (negative) issues as well as the obvious good stuff?

Many thanks!

From the dates in your education section, and your GCSE grades, it's likely to be obvious that you were excluded from school. If there's no discussion of this in your reference/application at all, it could look like you have something to hide. Even without the exclusion, it is usual to talk about an increase in academic performance- it can still be phrased in a positive way. It won't make your reference a "bad" reference.

Universities are allowed to contact your old school or your old LA to find out why you were excluded- they may not bother going into details depending on the reason. However, if you offer no explanation for your exclusion at all, then universities will probably want to find out the reason. It won't necessarily count against you, but universities do have a duty of care to their staff and students- they may not want to admit someone with a history of violence, for example, whereas something like drug possession probably won't be seen as a problem (depending on the circumstances, of course).

If you think the reason for your exclusion could count against you, then it might be worth contacting the universities you're interested in directly, and discussing it with them.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
From the dates in your education section, and your GCSE grades, it's likely to be obvious that you were excluded from school. If there's no discussion of this in your reference/application at all, it could look like you have something to hide. Even without the exclusion, it is usual to talk about an increase in academic performance- it can still be phrased in a positive way. It won't make your reference a "bad" reference.

Universities are allowed to contact your old school or your old LA to find out why you were excluded- they may not bother going into details depending on the reason. However, if you offer no explanation for your exclusion at all, then universities will probably want to find out the reason. It won't necessarily count against you, but universities do have a duty of care to their staff and students- they may not want to admit someone with a history of violence, for example, whereas something like drug possession probably won't be seen as a problem (depending on the circumstances, of course).

If you think the reason for your exclusion could count against you, then it might be worth contacting the universities you're interested in directly, and discussing it with them.

Thank you for your response, genuinely very helpful even if I am now terrified I'll be rejected from everywhere I apply. Would you mind if I sent you a PM?
Thank you for your response, genuinely very helpful even if I am now terrified I'll be rejected from everywhere I apply. Would you mind if I sent you a PM?

Please feel free to PM me, I'm sorry I've made you feel that way :frown:

If you are worried, please do contact universities in advance of applying- they will be happy to discuss your situation with you, and will normally be willing to let you know how they would view your application.
Reply 9
OK!

You shouldn't mention it explicitly but there's no harm in putting a positive spin on your prior experience to explain how its had an impact on the person you are now. For example, if you're interested in Politics, I can only assume your prior experiences have helped shape your political views especially in regard to education.
OK!

Thats really nice to hear about your decision to go to uni, I hope you enjoy it :smile:
My advice is definitely don't mention it- Im currently writing my statement and the emphasis is placed on making sure its positive, and doesnt include anything negative. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending