The Student Room Group

2015 Product/industrial design applicants

Hey,

I was just wondering has anyone applied for product design or Industrial design courses at uni yet? If so where did you apply to?

Scroll to see replies

Not an applicant, but a placement year product student at Brunel, feel free to ask me questions!
Reply 2
Original post by littlemissmidget123
Not an applicant, but a placement year product student at Brunel, feel free to ask me questions!

Thanks for getting back to me, I want to study Industrial design and one of my choices is going to be Brunel, what do you like/don't like about the uni, and when you did apply what other unis did you apply for? :smile:
Original post by Claire.08T
Thanks for getting back to me, I want to study Industrial design and one of my choices is going to be Brunel, what do you like/don't like about the uni, and when you did apply what other unis did you apply for? :smile:

I applied to study the BSc courses at Brunel, Nottingham Trent, Loughborough, Aston and De Montfort. Had offers from all except Loughborough. Brunel was my firm and De Montfort was my insurance. I actually missed out on my grades for Brunel, but I was let in anyway - probably because I am in the first 9k year.

Anyway about Brunel... (P.S. I was a Design Ambassador last year)

BA vs BSc - if you don't already know the difference between the two courses at Brunel is the way that you are taught. The content covered in both courses is quite similar, with the BSc students going into more detail in places. The BSc students are also taught far more theoretically, and BA more practically - so it's up to you to decide how you learn best really. I will also add that there is the possibility of moving from BSc to BA, but not the other way around. The other key thing to note, is that when it comes to deciding modules in final year, students can select from the same range irrespective of course, however the individual courses do have some compulsory modules, and some modules may not be the best choices to make if you have not done the background work. The modules are always changing but the list as it stands is found somewhere on Brunel's website - make sure to check out the Brunel Design website too.

In terms of Brunel design in general - my first advice is to get down for an open day if possible. Otherwise if you get an interview you will have a chance to see the campus then too. First years complete a variety of modules to bring you up to scratch, as people all have different starting points. You will be taught sketching, electronics, mechanics, make things in the workshop, learn about the design process etc etc. I will tell you now that the course is a lot of work, but its really enjoyable, and as long as you manage your time its more than doable. Facilities wise - Brunel has a building dedicated to Design and engineering - there are 5 workshops (wood metal x2 plastic modelling), as well as 3 24 hour access computer rooms, and of course there the library too. All first years have to complete and pass a rotation in each workshop (its really easy and fun) and then in the subsequent years you can access the workshop as you please (open 9-5 with 3 breaks)

As for Brunel in general - it's not the most social uni ever, however there is a good social life, and what you have to remember is that you are not far from London, so once in a while (or more if you want) you can go into central London for a good night out. There is a great range of clubs and societies, including many sports teams, musical ensembles, and many more things besides. Weekends can also be quite quiet, but personally I didn't mind that, as student life can be a bit full on, and a quiet day is nice - many unis are probably the same, as so many people go home for weekends, or only go to campus on days when they have class.

However putting all this to one side, I would definitely make sure that you apply to Brunel as in my opinion (and yes I am biased) it's the best uni for design, because put simply, Brunel Design Students are taught the skills to take a project from idea to manufacture, and design products that actually work - so many unis dont do this, and just design the 'pretty' things on the outside.

Any more specific questions - just let me know :smile: And keep me updated with how things go :smile: good luck!
Reply 4
I applied to study the BSc courses at Brunel, Nottingham Trent, Loughborough, Aston and De Montfort. Had offers from all except Loughborough. Brunel was my firm and De Montfort was my insurance. I actually missed out on my grades for Brunel, but I was let in anyway - probably because I am in the first 9k year.

Anyway about Brunel... (P.S. I was a Design Ambassador last year)

BA vs BSc - if you don't already know the difference between the two courses at Brunel is the way that you are taught. The content covered in both courses is quite similar, with the BSc students going into more detail in places. The BSc students are also taught far more theoretically, and BA more practically - so it's up to you to decide how you learn best really. I will also add that there is the possibility of moving from BSc to BA, but not the other way around. The other key thing to note, is that when it comes to deciding modules in final year, students can select from the same range irrespective of course, however the individual courses do have some compulsory modules, and some modules may not be the best choices to make if you have not done the background work. The modules are always changing but the list as it stands is found somewhere on Brunel's website - make sure to check out the Brunel Design website too.

In terms of Brunel design in general - my first advice is to get down for an open day if possible. Otherwise if you get an interview you will have a chance to see the campus then too. First years complete a variety of modules to bring you up to scratch, as people all have different starting points. You will be taught sketching, electronics, mechanics, make things in the workshop, learn about the design process etc etc. I will tell you now that the course is a lot of work, but its really enjoyable, and as long as you manage your time its more than doable. Facilities wise - Brunel has a building dedicated to Design and engineering - there are 5 workshops (wood metal x2 plastic modelling), as well as 3 24 hour access computer rooms, and of course there the library too. All first years have to complete and pass a rotation in each workshop (its really easy and fun) and then in the subsequent years you can access the workshop as you please (open 9-5 with 3 breaks)

As for Brunel in general - it's not the most social uni ever, however there is a good social life, and what you have to remember is that you are not far from London, so once in a while (or more if you want) you can go into central London for a good night out. There is a great range of clubs and societies, including many sports teams, musical ensembles, and many more things besides. Weekends can also be quite quiet, but personally I didn't mind that, as student life can be a bit full on, and a quiet day is nice - many unis are probably the same, as so many people go home for weekends, or only go to campus on days when they have class.

However putting all this to one side, I would definitely make sure that you apply to Brunel as in my opinion (and yes I am biased) it's the best uni for design, because put simply, Brunel Design Students are taught the skills to take a project from idea to manufacture, and design products that actually work - so many unis dont do this, and just design the 'pretty' things on the outside.

Any more specific questions - just let me know :smile: And keep me updated with how things go :smile: good luck!

Thank you for getting back to me, I will definitely be applying for Brunel, I just need to decide what order to put choices in! Do you have any advice on the portfolio, what should I include?
Thank you for getting back to me, I will definitely be applying for Brunel, I just need to decide what order to put choices in! Do you have any advice on the portfolio, what should I include?

some unis are quite specific on what they want - i believe brunel ask for 6 pages.... as a rule - include things that show a variety of skills - sketching, a project from start to finish, possibly things like photography, more academic work etc etc - there are many posts about folios on tsr and remember to practice talking about your folio
Reply 6
some unis are quite specific on what they want - i believe brunel ask for 6 pages.... as a rule - include things that show a variety of skills - sketching, a project from start to finish, possibly things like photography, more academic work etc etc - there are many posts about folios on tsr and remember to practice talking about your folio

Thank you, yeah do you think including GCSE, AS and A level work as well as photography and some designs I have done at home will be ok for Brunel?
Thank you, yeah do you think including GCSE, AS and A level work as well as photography and some designs I have done at home will be ok for Brunel?

almost certainly :smile: spend the time on how you present your work as much as anything
Reply 8
almost certainly :smile: spend the time on how you present your work as much as anything

Good good, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 9
I haven't applied yet but I am looking at Loughborough Brunel Huddersfield Nottingham Trent and Ravensbourne
Reply 10
Original post by Pete11235
I haven't applied yet but I am looking at Loughborough Brunel Huddersfield Nottingham Trent and Ravensbourne

Hey, sounds good are applying for industrial design and Loughborough and Brunel or product?
Hey, sounds good are applying for industrial design and Loughborough and Brunel or product?

I'm applying for Product Design because it's a BSc and it's supposed to make it easier to find jobs.
Have you applied? Where to?
I'm applying for Product Design because it's a BSc and it's supposed to make it easier to find jobs.

Whilst this is true - consider how you learn best - at Brunel being BA or BSc will not affect your job prospects at all, and both degrees are viewed almost identically in industry. I've written more about this above - note that is applies to brunel only, some unis differ between courses greatly
Reply 13

I am applying for BA as the course looks good and very similar to BSC :smile:
I am applying for BA as the course looks good and very similar to BSC :smile:

I really like the BA course too since there are more practical than theory but I also really wants to do electronics :s-smilie: are you going to pick Loughborough or Brunel as your firm choice?
Reply 15
I have applied for the BA Industrial Design Course at Brunel and I attended an interview/applicant day yesterday!
Original post by hannaam
I have applied for the BA Industrial Design Course at Brunel and I attended an interview/applicant day yesterday!

How was that? And where else did you apply?
Reply 17
It was amazing but quite intense as Brunel is my first choice! It was also stressful as I had to fly over from Jersey and drive on the M25. The actual hell pit of London. I've also applied to Kingston product/furniture design, bath spa 3d spatial, Northumbria and Plymouth 3D!
Original post by hannaam
It was amazing but quite intense as Brunel is my first choice! It was also stressful as I had to fly over from Jersey and drive on the M25. The actual hell pit of London. I've also applied to Kingston product/furniture design, bath spa 3d spatial, Northumbria and Plymouth 3D!

Glad you liked Brunel - last year it was me giving all the workshop tours! good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by hannaam

Hi Hannaam,

Great to hear that you've applied to Kingston. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything I can help you with.

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest