The Student Room Group

Moving the AMA threads back into Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Hi everyone,

A month or two ago we created the Ask Me Anything forum to house all of those threads. Initially it proved to be really popular but over the weeks has become less and less popular to the point where we can't justify it having its own forum anymore. Also, there is some evidence to show that activity in Chat has dropped off too by moving them out.

As a result, we are going to move the AMA threads back into chat where they were more popular. It was a good test to try out though.

Jack

Out of interest, why does it matter if a forum is quiet? Surely it's interesting to some people, so why does it need to be 'justified'? It isn't like it takes up valuable space at the office. They are just web pages you know. :giggle:
Reply 42
This is one of those issues that I just don't see how it makes much difference either way.
I remember a while ago flagging all my own AMA type threads so that they could be moved to AMA.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Out of interest, why does it matter if a forum is quiet? Surely it's interesting to some people, so why does it need to be 'justified'? It isn't like it takes up valuable space at the office. They are just web pages you know. :giggle:

Sorry for taking so long to reply. TSR already has far too many forums and is hard to use, so we always want to reduce that number. But in this instance, the quiet forum is an indication that people aren't finding the AMAs any more because they are too hidden. Given they were our most popular content before for a long period of 18 months and growing towards the end. It hints that AMA was not running out of steam, quite the opposite. Also, given that Chat started to get quieter, it suggests that the AMAs were actually driving the popularity of that forum too. They may well have just run out of steam. Either way, there is no point have a quite forum hanging around for the sake of it because it makes TSR that little bit harder to use and other reasons (e.g. we need to think about our Google rankings too and quiet forums don't look exciting to Google, and can be pushed down as a result).
Original post by shadowdweller
Chat has certainly been a lot less cluttered since AMA was given it's own sub-forum, it doesn't seem hugely beneficial to add them back. The people who are interested in the AMAs will still go to the section, and it leaves Chat clearer for those who are disinterested.

It also seems somewhat inevitable that Chat activity will drop whilst AMA is still a sub-forum, but that activity is just being moved elsewhere, it doesn't seem a reason to merge the sections again.

Shady is the only one here who is bang on the money. :colone:

(One of the reasons for actually giving AMA it's own sub-forum was because it cluttered up Chat).

PRSOM.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. TSR already has far too many forums and is hard to use, so we always want to reduce that number. But in this instance, the quiet forum is an indication that people aren't finding the AMAs any more because they are too hidden. Given they were our most popular content before for a long period of 18 months and growing towards the end. It hints that AMA was not running out of steam, quite the opposite. Also, given that Chat started to get quieter, it suggests that the AMAs were actually driving the popularity of that forum too. They may well have just run out of steam. Either way, there is no point have a quite forum hanging around for the sake of it because it makes TSR that little bit harder to use and other reasons (e.g. we need to think about our Google rankings too and quiet forums don't look exciting to Google, and can be pushed down as a result).

The forums are only hard to locate because you don't seem to have a useful search method. For example, you could have a forum selector that used type completion or similar to find forums related to your topic as many sites like this do. It would also be good to have more on the pulldown menu from the Forum button, that doesn't have much depth on it so it isn't always intuitive where to go.

I doubt that you care about Google value on every thread or forum in the site, why would you? Surely like all sites you want your commercial sales points to be up top. Perhaps the problem was the other way around and you worry that Google will over-promote things that don't matter to you just because they are forums? Don't site maps take care of that kind of thing?
Reply 47
It would have been cool if this thread was "Moving the AMA threads back into Chat, AMA".
Original post by James A
Shady is the only one here who is bang on the money. :colone:

(One of the reasons for actually giving AMA it's own sub-forum was because it cluttered up Chat).

PRSOM.

I have a vested interest in getting ridof the AMA forum(It's annoying to have to move stuff to AMA :biggrin: )
Original post by de_monies
I have a vested interest in getting ridof the AMA forum(It's annoying to have to move stuff to AMA :biggrin: )

Seeing you post something just now, when I haven't seen you post for a while is something I find comforting! :hugs:
Original post by pinkteddyx64
Seeing you post something just now, when I haven't seen you post for a while is something I find comforting! :hugs:

Oh er, OK?

:hugs: to you too!
But in this instance, the quiet forum is an indication that people aren't finding the AMAs any more because they are too hidden.

Respectfully, the reason for this is that TSR's navigation is utterly, unfathomably, incomprehensibly ****e. You've become so preoccupied with SEO 'freshness' that I doubt 90% of your membership even know the 'All Forums' section exists, let alone how to access it without the aid of a divining-rod.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Respectfully, the reason for this is that TSR's navigation is utterly, unfathomably, incomprehensibly ****e. You've become so preoccupied with SEO 'freshness' that I doubt 90% of your membership even know the 'All Forums' section exists, let alone how to access it without the aid of a divining-rod.

It's great that you pick up on that, a huge focus for us at the moment is our navigation to improve it. We've made some changes so far but I agree with you that we haven't gone far enough.

We're going to make one change to the navigation this week (it might launch around Thursday or early next week) that joins the main menu to the green bar so you can navigate around wherever you are on our long pages. Then, in early December we'd like to add a drop down menu to the mobile site. We're not 100% sure how this would best work with the limited space, so if you have any ideas I would love to chat about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Captain Jack! :puppyeyes:

Don't do dis :afraid:

hi
Original post by Nikhila Issac
hi

no
Original post by Black Hippy
Any chance you can just get rid of chat altogether?

Have you been living in a cave or something?

No you can't get rid of the chat forum! It's still a popular section of the site, plus where would all the off topic stuff go, and where would the forum games go?

As for AMA - I haven't actually paid much attention to AMA.
Original post by spotify95
No you can't get rid of the chat forum! It's still a popular section of the site, plus where would all the off topic stuff go, and where would the forum games go?

As for AMA - I haven't actually paid much attention to AMA.

I doubt you're going to get a reply here - that post was from 3 months ago, and the member is currently banned :tongue:

It's a fair point though, you couldn't remove Chat without losing a fair portion of content, and it's certainly one of the most popular sections.
Original post by shadowdweller
I doubt you're going to get a reply here - that post was from 3 months ago, and the member is currently banned :tongue:

It's a fair point though, you couldn't remove Chat without losing a fair portion of content, and it's certainly one of the most popular sections.

Whoops - didn't notice that it was an old thread, I wouldn't have replied had I realized that it would have been a bit of a thread bump...

Why would anyone want to remove the chatter forum though? Surely it's got to be one of the most entertaining parts of the site...

Quick Reply

Latest