The Student Room Group

Nobody really sits on my row in lectures

I usually sit alone in lectures, I've noticed whichever row I sit on, no one else will sit on that row, they'll sit on the others. I don't think it's hygiene because I shower everyday, and brush my teeth twice a day. I'm quite dressy in terms of style (possibly overdressed sometimes), and my hair is usually neat, straightened etc and for makeup I only really wear eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss and some bronzer.. I don't think I look threatening or something.

I met one guy in my lecture ages ago and we've talked frequently, I was sat alone again and he actually came over from the other side of the hall to talk to me that day but still sees me at the beginning and sits elsewhere. I know it's not a big deal but just something I was wondering today.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm quite dressy in terms of style (possibly overdressed sometimes), and my hair is usually neat, straightened etc and for makeup I only really wear eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss and some bronzer.. I don't think I look threatening or something.

Are you really a man? Maybe that's why...
Reply 2
Original post by leedswest
Are you really a man? Maybe that's why...

No..
No..

Well that's one thing to knock off the list then
Maybe they all have a certain place they like to sit. Usually in my lectures everyone sits in the same area as they do every week
Maybe try sitting somewhere different and see if it changes? :smile:
I've noticed that too at times... but I doubt it's anything personal
I do
I usually sit alone in lectures, I've noticed whichever row I sit on, no one else will sit on that row, they'll sit on the others. I don't think it's hygiene because I shower everyday, and brush my teeth twice a day. I'm quite dressy in terms of style (possibly overdressed sometimes), and my hair is usually neat, straightened etc and for makeup I only really wear eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss and some bronzer.. I don't think I look threatening or something.

I met one guy in my lecture ages ago and we've talked frequently, I was sat alone again and he actually came over from the other side of the hall to talk to me that day but still sees me at the beginning and sits elsewhere. I know it's not a big deal but just something I was wondering today.

You in First Year? put some effort into talking to random people, may start off with coursework, etc
Reply 8
Can you not just sit next to someone?
Reply 9
Uni is really Cliquey people usually just stick to who they know...
Original post by P1234R

But I think that maybe they want to be left alone and might be a bit weirded out if someone random just comes and sits right next to them when so many other spaces are available.
Tbh in uni I made it upon myself to not sit with people I knew. But they always sat next to me...
Original post by P1234R

Lol before I clicked the thread my immediate thought reading the title "well sit on a different ******* row then..".

Yeah OP got to make more effort to interact with people, I sat with a few people initially but could tell we weren't connecting that well, sat with a different group for most of the 1st and 2nd year, in 3rd year where most of that group didn't share lectures with me, I sat with people I'd been friendly in passing conversation with but hadn't sat with before really, got on no problem quite quickly, it's not too difficult.

This is normal people always sit with their friends or acquaintances you need to make some friends and this won't happen again.
But I think that maybe they want to be left alone and might be a bit weirded out if someone random just comes and sits right next to them when so many other spaces are available.

This is your problem.

You don't want to sit next to someone because you think it may be weird yet you want someone to sit next to YOU at the same time? Make your mind up, just sit next to someone.
This happens to me too. Some people have a really intimidating presence. There's this one girl in my lectures who's super hot, so hot that it's intimidating, she also never smiles. She always either sits in rows by herself of leaves gaps of 4-6 seats between the other person. I doubt it's to do with your hygiene or appearance though.
Reply 16
Do you sit near the front? I noticed at my uni that less people prefer to be right near the front, leaving the people who do like being there often by themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest