The Student Room Group

Job Centre Work Experience

Has anyone done work experience at the job centre? What does it involve? I've been unemployed after coming out of uni for a while now and my advisor has suggested that I take the work experience. I want to know if it helps.
Reply 1
Original post by seek&hide
Has anyone done work experience at the job centre? What does it involve? I've been unemployed after coming out of uni for a while now and my advisor has suggested that I take the work experience. I want to know if it helps.

In terms of what you'll actually be doing every day (a whole lot of nothing, really) it's almost worthless, but you will get a good reference at the end of it and that can be very handy for future jobs.
experience is generally a useful thing in life
Reply 3
I have to completely disagree with Amy. Job centre work experience isn't almost worthless as it's the only reason why I have a full-time job now. Whilst I was unemployed and claiming JSA I volunteered in two different charity shops and completed a Barista training course in which I gained certificates for Foundation level Barista, Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, First Aid and Fire Safety.

There are a lot of different work experience options available at the job centre, you just have to find one that you're interested in and stick at it until you find a paid job.
Original post by seek&hide

Experience is just that experience and experience will help you get a full time paid job, it may not come straight away but it'll help.

Also go and help out in charity shops, they're always looking for people to help out and it's a retail outlet so it'll help with any other retail job you apply although I'd suggest you go and aim for somewhere that's close to your field of study to enable the best chance of success.
Reply 5
Original post by Nfergs
I have to completely disagree with Amy. Job centre work experience isn't almost worthless as it's the only reason why I have a full-time job now. Whilst I was unemployed and claiming JSA I volunteered in two different charity shops and completed a Barista training course in which I gained certificates for Foundation level Barista, Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, First Aid and Fire Safety.

There are a lot of different work experience options available at the job centre, you just have to find one that you're interested in and stick at it until you find a paid job.

I think one of us has misunderstood the OP - it could be me, but here's my take on it.

The OP referred to work experience at the Jobcentre, standardly a one-month internal placement at any local Jobcentre other than the one he/she signs on at. I have done that kind of work experience. It is a lot of sitting around doing nothing, observing interviews, standing on the front desk and directing people, "shadowing" advisors and maybe assembling the odd new claims pack and a bit of photocopying. Data protection rules mean you aren't allowed access to the DWP systems, you can't use the computers, you can't sample what the job is like. That is why is it worthless, but for the reference.

You are referring to work experience offered through the Jobcentre in any number of external companies or charities, where you might get to have a go on the tills, pack stock, undertake vocational training and generally have a bash at what the job is like. That kind of stuff is definitely useful.
Thanks for the input guys. I was in fact referring to work experience at the job centre. I have plenty of work experience in retail having been working part-time for a couple of years, but I would like some admin experience, so I wanted to know whether doing work experience at the job centre would mimic working in an office environment or give me any sort of new skills.

I'm thinking I might as well take it and I'm currently on the job centre waiting list. However, I have a second interview for an internship placement so hopefully, it won't come to that!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending