The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances and Results

Delete please
(edited 6 years ago)
If you applied for special consideration at the time of the exams, it will already have been applied and you can't have it twice. If not, the reference is the only place it can go. Ucas will receive your exam results directly from the exam boards in exactly the same way as they receive everyone else's.
Original post by mmms95
I did apply for extenuating circumstances at the time and a medical report was sent to my exam board, but when I apply through UCAS now my universities won't know why I under preformed in one specific subject so that's why I think my reference should mention this.

Ahh okay, btw am I supposed to provide my ucas ID to the centre im doing my exam at or? (Someone told me this not sure if it's correct:/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point about extenuating circumstances is that exam boards apply a percentage of marks to the exam results in accordance with how much disadvantage they perceive the circumstances to have caused. up to a maximum of 5%. This maximum is given for the death of a parent or sibling in the immediate period before the exam. Everything else gets less, on a sliding scale. As far as the exam boards are concerned, you have had the allowance they think is fair for the circumstances. By all means have your referee include an account of your circumstances, as that is in part what the reference is for, but be aware that the universities are likely to regard that issue as having been compensated for. You can't have the compensation applied twice, if you see what I mean. They may be kind to you or they may not. It's up to them.

As to the Ucas ID, I'm not sure, but it won't do any harm to let them have it. The important number is your identifying candidate number, and if you are retaking any exams or just taking A2s after taking AS elsewhere, you need to ensure that the exams officer at your new centre has the number from your old one so that the two sets of results can be married up together to form a new grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending