Reply 80
what's COWI
Reply 81
nvm Camebridge Oxford Warwick Imperial
Original post by Noble.
COWI in general.

people who go there would have done GCSE aged 9 :rofl:
Original post by kid_kangaroo
Can I ask what you got for your GCSE? Like did you prepare for your A-levels?

Sure, got 7A*s(Maths, Biology, Chemistry, French, German, Latin, RS), 2As (History, English Language), 1B (English Literature), and to be honest I didn't do any more than what was asked of me in year 10 or 11, mostly just started cramming a week or so before GCSEs started, did all the required homework (think it was one piece per week per subject averaging an hour per piece) and made sure to listen during class (most of the time!)
Original post by the bear

I went to Warwick for Maths and I did GCSEs aged 16 :biggrin:
Original post by Wahrheit
I went to Warwick for Maths and I did GCSEs aged 16 :biggrin:

and did you pass ?

Spoiler

Sure, got 7A*s(Maths, Biology, Chemistry, French, German, Latin, RS), 2As (History, English Language), 1B (English Literature), and to be honest I didn't do any more than what was asked of me in year 10 or 11, mostly just started cramming a week or so before GCSEs started, did all the required homework (think it was one piece per week per subject averaging an hour per piece) and made sure to listen during class (most of the time!)

Wow! That's is extremely good! I just hope I achieve grades as good as yours.
Oh , by the way I've researched a bit into Cambridge applicants for Economics, & although none for Trinity (the college I want to go to), I think the personal statements & the interview matters the most! Some people apparently got in with just AAA, whilst others were declined with A*AA*...
Yeah, this one sounds more appealing.

Would advise D2, has some game theory in which should appeal to the economist in you, it's also the shortest module by far in terms of time needed, the text book I used had <50 pages

Well I did M1, S1, D1 and was given the choice of doing any of the next ones this year (at least one, with FPs supplementing the rest) and I chose M2 and M3, but that's cause I do physics. Otherwise I would have chosen D2!
Some of the stuff in D2 actually looks pretty cool
Reply 88
I'm doing further maths (year 12) and I'd say the hardest part for me is keeping up. The maths isn't too hard it's just the speed you go through it at.
Original post by Andy98
I'm doing further maths (year 12) and I'd say the hardest part for me is keeping up. The maths isn't too hard it's just the speed you go through it at.

Ah, you're probably naturally talented at Maths though... What did you get for GCSE Maths?
Reply 90
Ah, you're probably naturally talented at Maths though... What did you get for GCSE Maths?

Well yeah, I got an A*. But it's no harder than the normal maths A-level. It's only at double speed.
Original post by Andy98
Well yeah, I got an A*. But it's no harder than the normal maths A-level. It's only at double speed.

I did further maths AS last year, felt exactly the same as you, but fell short on the exam because I figured I didn't need to revise.
Don't do that!! Cause you cover a lot in a short time, so as many past papers as you can, it'll help a lot!
Reply 92
Original post by Planckton
I did further maths AS last year, felt exactly the same as you, but fell short on the exam because I figured I didn't need to revise.
Don't do that!! Cause you cover a lot in a short time, so as many past papers as you can, it'll help a lot!

Yeah I know. Our college sets us a past paper of each unit we've completed every week anyway. Already up to three a week :frown:
I dont think you can easily compare GCSE maths to A level. Its like being picked up out of a puddle and thrown into a pool; its sink or swim. You will either put in the work and do well, or not. I know people who got top marks at GCSE who struggled at A level and those who didnt do as well at GCSE performing well at FM, (eg me, only got an A at GCSE but got AA at Maths, FM)

If you want to apply to Cambridge to do Economics, do further maths. They really do love it because when you get to A2, the content becomes very difficult so if you do well in it, it says a lot about you.
and did you pass ?

Spoiler

Well until I decided to leave, yeah

Wow! That's is extremely good! I just hope I achieve grades as good as yours.
Oh , by the way I've researched a bit into Cambridge applicants for Economics, & although none for Trinity (the college I want to go to), I think the personal statements & the interview matters the most! Some people apparently got in with just AAA, whilst others were declined with A*AA*...

Thanks! Im sure you'll do great! And yeah for sure interview is the most important thing, and personal statement is a big factor in making sure you secure the interview. They want somebody motivated and ultimately somebody they want to teach!
Reply 95

I know more than a handful of people at the four (myself included) and very few of them deviated outside of the usual GCSE/A-Level timescale. Both Oxford and Cambridge recommend against taking exams early for numerous reasons.
Original post by Noble.
I know more than a handful of people at the four (myself included) and very few of them deviated outside of the usual GCSE/A-Level timescale. Both Oxford and Cambridge recommend against taking exams early for numerous reasons.

each year there is a story in the paper about some marvellous child who has passed their GCSE or A level aged 5....
Reply 97
each year there is a story in the paper about some marvellous child who has passed their GCSE or A level aged 5....

Yeah... a couple of people. You realise the combined year group of people at COWI is at least 1,000?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Yeah... a couple of people. You realise the combined year group of people at one of COWI is at least 1,000?

[video="youtube;7biXuhEGaDs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7biXuhEGaDs[/video]
I'm in year 11 right now & it's definitely time to fill in my applications for colleges. I know I want to study Economics at uni & the subjects I'm choosing for A-levels are quite risky as I have never done Economics before... It just appeals to me.
So I'm considering Maths, Further Maths, Ancient History & obviously Economics... I have to be honest, I'm average at Maths. I got a B overall for my end of year 10 exam. It's alright considering I did not revise for it as I had put all my concentration in Science lol.

I've done some past papers here and there during school and I've got A's which are in the middle. This was only in the calculator paper though... Um, I'm also doing a Statistics exam & as past papers go I have got nearly full marks in the tests; so A*... If I work hard, do you think I'm potentially capable of receiving an A* for maths? That's the requirement to study Further Maths at A-level... Does anyone study it? I am really scared because as much as I enjoy maths, I'm not the best with percentages & fractions... I'm good at harder questions in exams(B-A) but sometimes I literally loose marks on the D-E questions lol, idek but I'm practicing... It's just beacuse I never listened when I was younger and I'm facing the consequences now :frown:
What do you think? Am I capable still?

Oh, and my target grade is a B...
I know I can get an A at least on the real thing... Will it matter so much whilst applying for A-level? Entry requirements for just Maths is an A as well... I'm scared that I can't apply for Maths in general.

You're kind of approaching this from the wrong end.

Your goal is to do Economics at Cambridge. Having at least AS FM is practically mandatory to get an offer, and they will encourage you to do the full A Level if possible.

The level of A Levels is fairly substantially higher than GCSEs, and the level of the Economics course at Cambridge is significantly higher than that of A Levels.

Therefore the question should not be 'would you recommend me taking FM A Level' but rather 'how do I get good enough at maths to find GCSEs and A Levels enough of a breeze to know that I have a decent chance of an offer (and then passing the course) from Cambridge.'

It is never too late to work really hard and practice enough to ensure maths becomes a doddle and you feel like you could get an A* even if you slept through the first half of the exam, but that's the sort of level you want to aim at attaining - not least because Economics is one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge, and indeed at many other universities too.

Quick Reply

Latest