The Student Room Group

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

Women of TSR can you relate to this video do you experience the same sort of thing on a daily basis?

Discuss

[video="youtube;b1XGPvbWn0A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A#t=40[/video]

Scroll to see replies

lol this is britain, people don't talk to strangers :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arithmeticae
this is britain, people don't talk to strangers :moon:

someone once tried to ask me the time on the tube. I got so confused I smiled and laughed and moved carriage.
Reply 3
verbal harassment? some of them were a little rude but most of them were just being casual (because Americans are social!)... besides it's a huge city.
Original post by snitching kermit
someone once tried to ask me the time on the tube. I got so confused I smiled and laughed and moved carriage.

once i stole something i could easily afford so i could avoid talking to the shopkeeper

​not srs btw, inb4 fbi are reading this
once i stole something i could easily afford so i could avoid talking to the shopkeeper

too l8 m8

Original post by snitching kermit
too l8 m8

should have guessed from your username :moon:
She's not even cute.
Reply 8

Sounds legit. Everyone is scared of each other in Britain, 'no can't speak to that woman she could be a creepy axe murderer or worse she could speak to people, at the bus stop! the horrors!!!
Original post by DErasmus
verbal harassment? some of them were a little rude but most of them were just being casual (because Americans are social!)... besides it's a huge city.

I think the worse ones are where the guys followed her, which can be quite frightening if it's late etc.

I've had this before but only really when I'm all dressed up and stuff. I live in a really dodgy area so it happens to girls a lot tbh. I just tend to ignore it or smile but keep walking.
WTF is this for real?

I don't know much about NYC but I can assume this is dependent on the location more than anything else
Reply 11
They all seemed very polite.

I've had far worse from groups of hen parties.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I think the worse ones are where the guys followed her, which can be quite frightening if it's late etc.

I've had this before but only really when I'm all dressed up and stuff. I live in a really dodgy area so it happens to girls a lot tbh. I just tend to ignore it or smile but keep walking.

It's creepy as hell but the guy who was walking by her was probably just going that way and thought he'd be a knob. I clearly wasn't there but it didn't look intimidating to me just a random (fairly weak) guy interested in convo. Obviously has some self esteem issues as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Maybe I'm some sexist pig but to me the majority of those weren't a problem? I mean yes she knows and most of the guys would admit they're saying hi or complimenting her because she's good looking, and she does stand out a bit, but very few harassed her? The guy following was the only weird one tbh, most just spoke once, maybe twice, she ignored them and walked on, nothing happened? Things like "have a nice day miss", okay they've said it because she's good looking but....is it really harassment? I've had a couple of people compliment my looks over the years, I wouldn't ever think of it as harassment? If they were saying "hey seeeexy! Hey stop seeexy! Let me touch that ass girl!" and tried to touch her, I'd obviously get it and call it harassment. But most were "wow beautiful" "damn girl you look nice" "you have a good day darling" etc, one off comments and...nothing else. I mean if you're attractive and dress attractively...people might comment on occasion? I mean this is under 2 minutes of footage from TEN HOURS, a lot of which showed that one guy following her. Considering how busy NYC is that's not a barrage of men chasing her. It was probably a comment an hour pretty much.
"Involving people of all backgrounds"

Lmfao all I saw were ghetto black guys. Where was this, Harlem?

I'm actually quite suprised, I've never experienced/seen this happen in NY.
Didn't think it was THAT bad really. How much "harassment" was there...?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Didn't think it was THAT bad really. How much "harassment" was there...?

"How are you this morning" and "Have a nice evening" are considered harassment because there's an ulterior motive. They aren't really concerned with how she's actually doing. The words alone, by themselves, devoid of context, are not harassment. Shouting them at a woman walking quickly by in order to try and make her stop- that is. Are these people wishing a good morning to the dudes who walk by, or the old women? Nope. It's a transparent ploy.

If a mugger pointed a gun at you and said "That's a real nice purse you have there. I wish I had a purse like that.", would you say that was a sincere compliment? Or maybe that in context, his words are being used to commit theft? Context matters. Motivation matters.

As a guy in NYC, if you're making deliberate eye contact with me:
A) you want money (no, I don't have any);
B) you want directions (I'll help you if you can briefly make your point and if I have time); or
C) you'd better be telling me I dropped something (thank you).
Otherwise, we have a problem.

Unfortunately if you're a woman in NYC, it seems there's: D) "you want to flirt with me or objectify/harass me".
As a guy, I'm glad I don't have to deal with this crap dozens (or hundreds?) of times a day, and seeing it pisses me off. She's not interested, so leave her alone and let her get from point A to point B.
nah harassment is where you harass someone, not when you speak to them and they happen to not want to speak back.
Original post by Viceroy
"How are you this morning" and "Have a nice evening" are considered harassment because there's an ulterior motive. They aren't really concerned with how she's actually doing. The words alone, by themselves, devoid of context, are not harassment. Shouting them at a woman walking quickly by in order to try and make her stop- that is. Are these people wishing a good morning to the dudes who walk by, or the old women? Nope. It's a transparent ploy.

If a mugger pointed a gun at you and said "That's a real nice purse you have there. I wish I had a purse like that.", would you say that was a sincere compliment? Or maybe that in context, his words are being used to commit theft? Context matters. Motivation matters.

As a guy in NYC, if you're making deliberate eye contact with me:
A) you want money (no, I don't have any);
B) you want directions (I'll help you if you can briefly make your point and if I have time); or
C) you'd better be telling me I dropped something (thank you).
Otherwise, we have a problem.

Unfortunately if you're a woman in NYC, it seems there's: D) "you want to flirt with me or objectify/harass me".
As a guy, I'm glad I don't have to deal with this crap dozens (or hundreds?) of times a day, and seeing it pisses me off. She's not interested, so leave her alone and let her get from point A to point B.

oh the tragedy! how dare those men degrade innocent women send those men to prison those barbaric evil pigs.

not srs. strong overthinking there. plz go you pathetic moron

Quick Reply

Latest