The Student Room Group

Working at Sports Direct?

Hey Peeps!

I want to work at Sports Direct as a Part-Time student (max 12 hours). However, I only want to work on weekends, during school time and I dont mind working the whole week during holidays.

So, can someone tell me if this is possible? Also, if it is, mind telling me how to apply and what to do and what not to do? Can you also mention the possibility of me getting employed by Sports Direct?

Thanks!
I worked for them for two years to this September and have left at the moment for university (could have transferred stores but my uni doesn't let us work, and not that I have the time!).

You will be on a 0-hours contract. This makes it superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr flexible and any time off that you want, you will likely get (apart from certain banned periods e.g. Christmas). The thing with 0-hours is that your hours vary weekly, and they will call you up for covering shifts. As a newbie, it's highly unlikely you will get more than one 4-hr shift per week, but as you get experience there and prove yourself, you'll find them increasing fairly quickly. Some people do get regular hours, but most don't.

You apply online, by uploading your CV etc, but also do go into the store as the managers tend to pick through the usually massive piles of CVs. If the store doesn't have a hiring notice up in the window, it's unlikely they're going to take many, if any people on. When they are hiring, they take on a lot of people, but older (as in longer-serving) staff tend to get way more hours than newbies, even if you're older than us - I've run the clothing side of the shop when the assistant manager has been out, including people several years older than I.

Also, the niceness of the colleagues can vary so much! So you might be lucky, like me, and have so many lovely people and only one or two that really annoy you, or be the opposite and stuck in a crappy store.

If you have any more questions, go for it! Hopefully I answered them all.
Original post by Paralove
I worked for them for two years to this September and have left at the moment for university (could have transferred stores but my uni doesn't let us work, and not that I have the time!).

You will be on a 0-hours contract. This makes it superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr flexible and any time off that you want, you will likely get (apart from certain banned periods e.g. Christmas). The thing with 0-hours is that your hours vary weekly, and they will call you up for covering shifts. As a newbie, it's highly unlikely you will get more than one 4-hr shift per week, but as you get experience there and prove yourself, you'll find them increasing fairly quickly. Some people do get regular hours, but most don't.

You apply online, by uploading your CV etc, but also do go into the store as the managers tend to pick through the usually massive piles of CVs. If the store doesn't have a hiring notice up in the window, it's unlikely they're going to take many, if any people on. When they are hiring, they take on a lot of people, but older (as in longer-serving) staff tend to get way more hours than newbies, even if you're older than us - I've run the clothing side of the shop when the assistant manager has been out, including people several years older than I.

Also, the niceness of the colleagues can vary so much! So you might be lucky, like me, and have so many lovely people and only one or two that really annoy you, or be the opposite and stuck in a crappy store.

If you have any more questions, go for it! Hopefully I answered them all.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, whats the website where I can upload my CV? And do you think I'll get employed around this month or next month? (I have no past work experience except working at a nursery during work experience).
Original post by UnknownDude
Thanks for the quick reply!

So, whats the website where I can upload my CV? And do you think I'll get employed around this month or next month? (I have no past work experience except working at a nursery during work experience).

Honestly couldn't tell you when. It varies, depending on their need for staff.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/GroupCareers/search
Honestly couldn't tell you when. It varies, depending on their need for staff.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/GroupCareers/search

Thanks for the website. Sorry for bothering you again, but any tips on what to include on the CV and covering letter? :smile:
Thanks for the website. Sorry for bothering you again, but any tips on what to include on the CV and covering letter? :smile:

Honestly, anything generic. They take on pretty much anyone.
Honestly, anything generic. They take on pretty much anyone.

Is it really that easy? So, am I really able to get a job at my local Sports Direct even though they aren't really advertising at the website? I really want the job at least before the end of next month.
Is it really that easy? So, am I really able to get a job at my local Sports Direct even though they aren't really advertising at the website? I really want the job at least before the end of next month.

My place wasn't advertising online, go first to the store and ask about vacancies because if they aren't hiring, you won't get looked at. They'll say give in a CV but it's just put in a pile of the things which don't often get looked at. If they say yes, there are places, give them your CV and they'll say to go online and apply there, to any store even if that specific store isn't on there.

But if they are hiring, they'll take most people pretty much, as long as grades aren't too horrendous and they seem like they have half a brain (there are so many people who are just thick coming in, with straight F's/worse, that have no hope, and they're the only ones). Don't make the CV too cheesy as the ones we get given to us for the manager are always fun to read through...
My place wasn't advertising online, go first to the store and ask about vacancies because if they aren't hiring, you won't get looked at. They'll say give in a CV but it's just put in a pile of the things which don't often get looked at. If they say yes, there are places, give them your CV and they'll say to go online and apply there, to any store even if that specific store isn't on there.

But if they are hiring, they'll take most people pretty much, as long as grades aren't too horrendous and they seem like they have half a brain (there are so many people who are just thick coming in, with straight F's/worse, that have no hope, and they're the only ones). Don't make the CV too cheesy as the ones we get given to us for the manager are always fun to read through...

Well apart from working at a nursery for 2 weeks and some duties at school like prefect, I've got really good GCSE grades (5 A*s, 4 As and 1 B).

Mind me sending you my CV?
Well apart from working at a nursery for 2 weeks and some duties at school like prefect, I've got really good GCSE grades (5 A*s, 4 As and 1 B).

Mind me sending you my CV?

Seriously don't sweat it. Just put down the quick learner, works well individually and in a team, confident (which tbh you have to be with those kind of customers...) and pleasant/polite/friendly, that's all you really need.
Seriously don't sweat it. Just put down the quick learner, works well individually and in a team, confident (which tbh you have to be with those kind of customers...) and pleasant/polite/friendly, that's all you really need.

Thanks! Gave in my CV and Cover Letter in. Went in and spoke to a guy working there and then he radioed to the shift manager (manager wasnt in) and like she said just put it under the till desk. We went over ther and the man and the woman working at the till were nice I asked them if I'd actually get a job here and they said yeah and they are hiring and that. The woman behind the till said she put in her CV and after a couple of weeks, she got a call. So, how long do you think till they call me?
Thanks! Gave in my CV and Cover Letter in. Went in and spoke to a guy working there and then he radioed to the shift manager (manager wasnt in) and like she said just put it under the till desk. We went over ther and the man and the woman working at the till were nice I asked them if I'd actually get a job here and they said yeah and they are hiring and that. The woman behind the till said she put in her CV and after a couple of weeks, she got a call. So, how long do you think till they call me?

Idk. Could be a few days, or a few weeks, it varies.
Idk. Could be a few days, or a few weeks, it varies.

Thanks alot for the help! Ill reply again here to tell you if ive got an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Peeps!

I want to work at Sports Direct as a Part-Time student (max 12 hours). However, I only want to work on weekends, during school time and I dont mind working the whole week during holidays.

So, can someone tell me if this is possible? Also, if it is, mind telling me how to apply and what to do and what not to do? Can you also mention the possibility of me getting employed by Sports Direct?

Thanks!

Hello :biggrin:
I've been working at Sports Direct for two years now, part timer and a uni student :biggrin:
It'll be a 0 hour contract, so it will be possible to do weekends during term time and do any days in the holidays. The store manager will give you an availability form to fill out :biggrin: :redface:
And for applying, you can either apply online or hand in your CV to the store that you wish to work at :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Hello :biggrin:
I've been working at Sports Direct for two years now, part timer and a uni student :biggrin:
It'll be a 0 hour contract, so it will be possible to do weekends during term time and do any days in the holidays. The store manager will give you an availability form to fill out :biggrin: :redface:
And for applying, you can either apply online or hand in your CV to the store that you wish to work at :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info! Gave in my cv and cover letter today, ill post back on here if i get an offer. How long did you wait until you got an offer?
Thanks for the info! Gave in my cv and cover letter today, ill post back on here if i get an offer. How long did you wait until you got an offer?

Your welcome :biggrin:! Aww good luck :biggrin:! Ermm if you're on about the interview then I got one about 3/4 months after I applied (I applied online:redface:) and for the job offer I think it was either the same day or about 2-3 days after the interview :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your welcome :biggrin:! Aww good luck :biggrin:! Ermm if you're on about the interview then I got one about 3/4 months after I applied (I applied online:redface:) and for the job offer I think it was either the same day or about 2-3 days after the interview :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

3/4 months!!! :eek::eek:
3/4 months!!! :eek::eek:

Yup. I think it was because management at my store wasn't hiring for that amount of time :/! But it varies on when stores are recruiting. You never know, you might get a call from the store you've applied to soon for an interview, as Christmas is coming up :biggrin: :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup. I think it was because management at my store wasn't hiring for that amount of time :/! But it varies on when stores are recruiting. You never know, you might get a call from the store you've applied to soon for an interview, as Christmas is coming up :biggrin: :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went back to the store today and I asked the manager (who was in) if they were hiring and he said they weren't hiring. I guess I'm going to apply to argos. Hopefully they are easy to get into.
I went back to the store today and I asked the manager (who was in) if they were hiring and he said they weren't hiring. I guess I'm going to apply to argos. Hopefully they are easy to get into.

Ah ok bad times :frown: but they'll most likely keep your CV for when they are next hiring :redface: ah ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending