The Student Room Group

Computer science urgent!!!

I have my first hour of Computer Science controlled assessment task (CAT) on monday...and I am really stuck! I've only started comouter science (september) so I'm not very good and really need some help. Due to the fact that it's the first hour the teacher gave us the question which is as follows:
A parent wants to create a program to test their child basic arithmetic skills. The program needs to display
random quiz questions that tests the child on addition, multiplication and subtraction. It should ask the child’s
name and ask 5 questions. It should output if each questions is right and give a final score.

Could anyone please please please help me out here?!? I am absolutely CLUELESS. I NEED URGENT HELP. I CAN ALREADY PICTURE MYSELF SITTING ON THE DAY F THE EXAM JUST STARING AT THE SCREEN AND REALLY DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.
PLEASE.HELP.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi due to new rules on controlled assessment I can't help give you a answer to the question above .
However to help with your coding their is a website called code academy and it goes over basic operations etc. in coding . If you learn the more basic and complex functions it will make the coding a lot more easier. You should look at the question and think about what you need ... So asking for a child's name would need user input. You will need an if statement so whether the answer is correct or not .
I have had experience with computing controlled assessments , don't stress about it. It's mostly problem solving . Look back at the skills your teacher has taught you it will be beneficial .
Plan a draft at home and remember it . By planning it will make it seem a lot less stressful.
Reply 2
Which language are you using, and what qualification is this for?

I've quickly drafted the program in python, but as S1998 said we can't help you directly which makes sense (I don't know the guidelines but if you could get all the answers from internet strangers, these assessments would be somewhat useless! :tongue:)
Reply 3
You should have asked your tutor if you got lost and needed help. But you didn't :smile:. Also this assessment is meant to test what you know, not someone else on the internet
Original post by S1998
Hi due to new rules on controlled assessment I can't help give you a answer to the question above .
However to help with your coding their is a website called code academy and it goes over basic operations etc. in coding . If you learn the more basic and complex functions it will make the coding a lot more easier. You should look at the question and think about what you need ... So asking for a child's name would need user input. You will need an if statement so whether the answer is correct or not .
I have had experience with computing controlled assessments , don't stress about it. It's mostly problem solving . Look back at the skills your teacher has taught you it will be beneficial .
Plan a draft at home and remember it . By planning it will make it seem a lot less stressful.

Gosh, I shouldn't have included the fact that it was a CAT if i knew it would have prevented you 'strangers' from helping me out. Whatever.
Hey, do you know any books I can purchase that would help me out? The language I am using is Python and it's only GCSE...so if you know any books...I would really appreciate it if you let me know.
Thank you
Original post by iffles
Which language are you using, and what qualification is this for?

I've quickly drafted the program in python, but as S1998 said we can't help you directly which makes sense (I don't know the guidelines but if you could get all the answers from internet strangers, these assessments would be somewhat useless! :tongue:)

I'm doing Python
Can you please show me what you drafted> It's not cheating anyway because I still have to learn the code off by heart...etc
Please pretty please with a cherry on top?
Original post by indieguy
You should have asked your tutor if you got lost and needed help. But you didn't :smile:. Also this assessment is meant to test what you know, not someone else on the internet

Ha ha. Stop making assumptions. I asked my teacher several times before to help me out and she did her best explaining it to me and giving me websites, but you know what? I still did not understand it. And it's half term right now so believe it or not, I actually can't pay my teacher a visit to her house and ask for help!!! Might be a little difficult to process...but hey!
Oh, and if you read the question carefully I merely asked for help and not the whole answer.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Gosh, I shouldn't have included the fact that it was a CAT if i knew it would have prevented you 'strangers' from helping me out. Whatever.
Hey, do you know any books I can purchase that would help me out? The language I am using is Python and it's only GCSE...so if you know any books...I would really appreciate it if you let me know.
Thank you

With that, and other responses in this topic all I can say is that you should **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by borysek01
With that, and other responses in this topic all I can say is that you should **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you cease to exist
Reply 9
I'm doing Python
Can you please show me what you drafted> It's not cheating anyway because I still have to learn the code off by heart...etc
Please pretty please with a cherry on top?

Python is by far programming language with the easiest syntax. You can pretty much learn it in 3-5 days
Python is by far programming language with the easiest syntax. You can pretty much learn it in 3-5 days

Well, I guess I need to thank the Lord for that then...I've written the code and I think it's...right....I mean it works so...
Reply 11
Well, I guess I need to thank the Lord for that then...I've written the code and I think it's...right....I mean it works so...

You could do it by yourself, you didn't need any of us haha! :tongue: You should have more confidence in your own capabilities, programming is very easy to pick up if you are determined. Best of luck for the assessment :smile:

Out of curiosity, what was your code in the end? It's interesting to see how people approach things differently, I can help check over it too if you want (if S1998 permits it :tongue: )
The fact you are clueless and posted here asking someone to help you indicates what you after in your course is only grade rather than the importance of the knowledge you gained during the course. And you haven't made the slightest effort. Learning these things take patience, sit down and read about it. Don't wait until someone do it for you cause it's not gonna happen.
The fact you are clueless and posted here asking someone to help you indicates what you after in your course is only grade rather than the importance of the knowledge you gained during the course. And you haven't made the slightest effort. Learning these things take patience, sit down and read about it. Don't wait until someone do it for you cause it's not gonna happen.

I'm not looking for that chicken! :smile: I simply wanted someone to provide me with steps on how to get this done but apparently you're not even allowed to do that. And guess what? I managed to write the code in the end so S T O P A S S U M M I N G.
Original post by iffles
You could do it by yourself, you didn't need any of us haha! :tongue: You should have more confidence in your own capabilities, programming is very easy to pick up if you are determined. Best of luck for the assessment :smile:

Out of curiosity, what was your code in the end? It's interesting to see how people approach things differently, I can help check over it too if you want (if S1998 permits it :tongue: )

Thank you very much! I'll post the code in a few hours; I appreciate your encouragement and positive attitude unlike others.
Original post by iffles

Okay, my code is as follows:
import random
score = 0
print("Hello there! What is your name child?")
myName = input()
print("Well, " + myName + " nice to meet you. Today I'll be testing you maths skills! You'll be asked five question on multiplication, addition, subtraction and division. Goodluck!")

import random
number1 = random.randint(1, 10)
number2 = random.randint(1, 10)
print('What is ' + str(number1) + ' + ' + str(number2) + '?')
answer = input()
if int(answer) == number1 + number2:
print('Correct!')
score = score + 1
else:
print('Nope! The answer is ' + str(number1 + number2))
score = score - 1

import random
number3 = random.randint(1,10)
number4 = random.randint(1,10)
print('What is ' + str(number3) + '*' + str(number4) + '?')
answer = input()

if int(answer) == number3 * number4:
print('Wow, you are great at this!')
score = score + 1
else:
print('Whoops! That is not right... The answer is ' + str(number3 * number4))
score = score - 1

import random
score = score + 1
number5 = random.randint(1,10)
number6 = random.randint(1,10)
print('What is ' + str(number5) + '/' + str(number6) + '?')
answer = input()

if int(answer) == number5 / number6:
print('Correct! I think we have a Mathematician here.')
score = score + 1
else:
print('Oh dear. That is incorrect. The correct answer is ' + str(number5 / number6))
score = score - 1

import random
score = score + 1
number7 = random.randint(1,10)
number8 = random.randint(1,10)
print('What is ' + str(number7) + '-' + str(number8) + '?')
answer = input()

if int(answer) == number7 - number8:
print('Woo hoo!.')
score = score + 1
else:
print('Oh no!. That is incorrect. The correct answer is ' + str(number7 / number8))
score = score - 1

import random
score = score + 1
number9 = random.randint(1,10)
number10 = random.randint(1,10)
print('What is ' + str(number9) + '*' + str(number10) + '?')
answer = input()
if int(answer) == number9 * number10:
print('Correct!')
score = score + 1
else:
print('Incorrect! The correct answer is ' + str(number9 * number10))
score = score - 1
print("Thank you for playing " + myName + ", you have scored ", score, "points")
Reply 16
I have my first hour of Computer Science controlled assessment task (CAT) on monday...and I am really stuck! I've only started comouter science (september) so I'm not very good and really need some help. Due to the fact that it's the first hour the teacher gave us the question which is as follows:
A parent wants to create a program to test their child basic arithmetic skills. The program needs to display
random quiz questions that tests the child on addition, multiplication and subtraction. It should ask the child’s
name and ask 5 questions. It should output if each questions is right and give a final score.

Could anyone please please please help me out here?!? I am absolutely CLUELESS. I NEED URGENT HELP. I CAN ALREADY PICTURE MYSELF SITTING ON THE DAY F THE EXAM JUST STARING AT THE SCREEN AND REALLY DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.
PLEASE.HELP.

ooooh - I did something like this in JavaScript a couple of years ago. But as has been said I can't give any direct help. However it looks like you've got it sussed
They lose a point for getting a question wrong? harsh.
Original post by Andy98
ooooh - I did something like this in JavaScript a couple of years ago. But as has been said I can't give any direct help. However it looks like you've got it sussed

Glad to hear that!
Original post by e aí rapaz
They lose a point for getting a question wrong? harsh.

Life sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending