The Student Room Group

Haven't celebrated my birthday properly since I was 15 ... weird?

I'm 22 today, with the exception of my 3 years at uni (19 to 21) i haven't really celebrated my birthday since i was 15, i get cake from my parents and cards from family and friends, but other than that i don't really do anything, haven't in recent years (didn't even really do anything that special on my 18th) is this normal?

I've always lived in a tiny village in the countryside and all of my friends were always a little too far for me to really do anything (cos lets face it, practically everyone wants to drink on their on their birthday, but if i have to drive somewhere, alcohol is off the table) also looking back at my secondary school years, i only really had 2 or 3 proper friends the rest turned their backs on me when things started getting hard for me during my first year of uni (i had the beginning symptoms of depression, and i said some stuff to them that although was true in hindsight i probably shouldn't have said)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tomsta
I'm 22 today, with the exception of my 3 years at uni (19 to 21) i haven't really celebrated my birthday since i was 15, i get cake from my parents and cards from family and friends, but other than that i don't really do anything, haven't in recent years (didn't even really do anything that special on my 18th) is this normal?

I've always lived in a tiny village in the countryside and all of my friends were always a little too far for me to really do anything (cos lets face it, practically everyone wants to drink on their on their birthday, but if i have to drive somewhere, alcohol is off the table) also looking back at my secondary school years, i only really had 2 or 3 proper friends the rest turned their backs on me when things started getting hard for me during my first year of uni (i had the beginning symptoms of depression, and i said some stuff to them that although was true in hindsight i probably shouldn't have said)

I don't think so, you should do whatever you like doing on your birthday, surely? If your happy with cake and cards you should be happy with that. I've never been to a house party, doesn't make me a crap person :P
Nah, nothing wrong with that. I don't enjoy drinking/parties, and haven't really done anything since I was 13. It's my 18th this year, and I'm planning on spending the evening at the beach with my dog, and grabbing Chinese on the way home.

Unless you feel like you really want a party or to go out, I wouldn't really worry about it. Just because you aren't like "everyone else" doesn't mean you have to try to be.
Reply 3
Original post by Azurefeline
Nah, nothing wrong with that. I don't enjoy drinking/parties, and haven't really done anything since I was 13. It's my 18th this year, and I'm planning on spending the evening at the beach with my dog, and grabbing Chinese on the way home.

Unless you feel like you really want a party or to go out, I wouldn't really worry about it. Just because you aren't like "everyone else" doesn't mean you have to try to be.

I do wanna go out though, i don't mean get smashed but i REALLY enjoyed my birthdays at uni cos everyone actually wanted to take me out it's was so surprising i dare to use the phrase "made me feel like i had proper friends"
Original post by Tomsta
I do wanna go out though, i don't mean get smashed but i REALLY enjoyed my birthdays at uni cos everyone actually wanted to take me out it's was so surprising i dare to use the phrase "made me feel like i had proper friends"

Oh, alright then.

*shuffles back into antisocial corner*
nah you're perfectly normal! I don't really like to make a big deal of birthdays - a nice meal with family and going out with 2 of my closest friends is enough for me :biggrin:
Nah just do whatever makes you happy. Celebrate however you want - I'm seventeen and haven't celebrated properly with mates since my 13th birthday. For my 18th next year I'm probably just going to have a quiet meal out with family, as they want to celebrate my birthday more than I do.
I don't celebrate either, even on new years i'm in bed by 10pm. I'll be in japan this new years so i might just be awake this time, i prefer spending christmas on my own until i find a girl friend or maybe just a good friend
Reply 8
Original post by Tomsta
I'm 22 today

Happy belated birthday Tom :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by kka25
Happy belated birthday Tom :smile:

Almost a whole month late :tongue:
It's more common than you think, none of my ''friends'' ever really cared about my birthday. At uni everyone else got a big night out which everyone looked forward to for ages, but mine was never mentioned at all. I have spent the past 3 birthdays sat alone in my room without so much as a card or a text.

You get used to it after a while. A birthday is just another day.
Reply 11
Original post by Tomsta
Almost a whole month late :tongue:

Well :colondollar:

I normally would buy a piece of cake for people's birthdays; too bad I couldn't do that to you for the obvious reason : /
Reply 12
I've never celebrated my birthday properly; I didn't even do that much for my 18th and 21st. The joys of being born in early January :rolleyes:
Nah, didn't celebrate my 15th, 14th was a small dinner with family friends and probably am not going to do anything for 16th either
Original post by Tomsta

Its totally fine. I havent celebrated my birthday ever. My case is different but I believe that birthdays and special ocassions should be spent with close people instead of celebrating it with everyone.

If you are unhappy with the fact that you havent celebrated any of your birthday properly. You can celebrate one next time. Do whatever makes you happy.
I don't celebrate my birthday. :no: I haven't had so much as a birthday cake in years. :redface:
Original post by Maid Marian
I don't celebrate my birthday. :no: I haven't had so much as a birthday cake in years. :redface:

aha same the last time I got a birthday cake was when I was like 7. 17 birthdays coming up next week and all im gonna do is stuff my face with food. How lonely...:frown:
I don't like all the attention being on me. So big birthday celebrations are a big no no.
Nope.

Last big party I can remember I rented out a bit fun pool with slides etc. in year 6 :redface: That was fun.

I think I might actually be doing something properly for the first time in ages for my 20th though :tongue: It would be nice to have friends who actually recognise my birthday !

(For instance on my 19th I spent all day in uni, had to go to gymnastics and cam home and watched Benefits street alone while some of my friends went out for another person's bday (who's was another day..))
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
I love celebrating my birthday at home with family, that's all I want. I went out with my parents and sister for a meal to celebrate my 19th and her 16th this year. Otherwise the last time I did anything to celebrate my birthday may have been my 9th birthday, I can't remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending