The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You've pretty much got it - Edgeware Road is probably your best bet to get a decent Shwama. I remember going into a decent one in Golders Green but that's a bit of a trek and I can't honestly remember where the heck it was.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Al Dar...Edgware Road.

//Mike> You lived in Saudi? No way...I was there for like 13 years :p: Which city were you in?
Reply 3
Nikuhiru
You've pretty much got it - Edgeware Road is probably your best bet to get a decent Shwama. I remember going into a decent one in Golders Green but that's a bit of a trek and I can't honestly remember where the heck it was.

"Sollys" is the one you're thinking of mes thinks.

Good lil middle eastern place that is
Reply 4
Okay, I shall check out Edgeware road and perhaps Queensway.

Ember - I lived in Khobar however once I came back to the UK my father has lived in Jeddah and Riyadh. He know lives in Kuwait. Where do you live?
You're kidding me right? I lived in Khobar too! :biggrin: I just moved a few weeks ago...how long ago did you live there and what school did you go to? (I went to Dhahran Academy)
Reply 6
Ahh small world! I lived there between 1992 and 1996 in Juffalli. I went to the British School in Khobar, although my sisters were at Dahran Academy.
Wow..that's crazy...I had friends from the British School and I used to go to Juffali every weekend lol!
Reply 8
Wow. Who were you friends with at Juffalli?
Did you know a girl called Jackie? She used to go to BIZAK too and she lived on Juffali! What about Shadie and Basel?
Reply 10
Solly's in Golders Green is highly recommended - £4-ish for a lamb shawarma in pita, with absolutely anything and everything inside it. They also do chicken shawarma, and they do pita or lafa. Good chips as well. Expensive but well worth it.

Come out of Golders Green tube station, and take the second road from the right outside the bus station. That's Golders Green Road, and Solly's is about 300yds up on the right. It's a full restaurant too - the take-away is a little bit on the right.
Reply 11
Al Dar...Edgware Road.

Is that a chain? Isnt there also one in high street ken?
Reply 12
Solly's placemark for Google Earth.
I'm not sure I haven't seen any others apart from Edgware.

Btw for £4 in Saudi you could get around 9 shawarmas from my local store believe it or not :p:
Reply 14
EmberToInferno
I'm not sure I haven't seen any others apart from Edgware.

Btw for £4 in Saudi you could get around 9 shawarmas from my local store believe it or not :p:

Yeah, I think there's also one on Kings Road....one in high street ken and about 4 or 5 in Edgware...I just went to the one on high street ken...wasn't too impressed, for some reason...guess it's okayish!
Reply 15
Thanks Jonathan :smile:. I would prefer it in Shami bread (is Lafa the Lebanese version of this?) as pita is horrible (this is coming from a Greek...). Not too fussed about price, I just to get a decent shawarma!

Ember - Baba Habas?
Reply 16
EmberToInferno
Did you know a girl called Jackie? She used to go to BIZAK too and she lived on Juffali! What about Shadie and Basel?

lol poor kid

theres a bagillion places that do shawarma in edgware, id be surprised if there was a shop open that didnt!
Reply 17
This is pretty incredible.

I lived in Bahrain and Qatar for about 5 years and LOVED Shwarma's they were so nice and cheap . Crazy, I couldn't believe it when I saw this thread in the Imperial sub forum/
Reply 18
Heya.

Having lived in Saudi Arabia (Jeddah) till I was 7 years old, as well as going there once in a while after leaving and eating shawarmas, I can say that even the best shawarma restaraunts in England aren't at the same level of tastyness compared to the ones you get back there (at least in my experience so far)

However, your best bet is probably Edgware Road as the others have said. Just don't expect anything too great. :smile: (sorry)

C u at Imperial :wink:
Reply 19
Yes, the ones in England will never compare to the real ones...

PKchips and Mangaroo, what happened to AF?!

Latest