The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Doesn't matter, there are about 20 other threads regarding this.
It doesnt matter what subject you take.
curtis
Hi, for ages I really wanted to do law but then i really got into my maths, so I kind of picked A-Levels to suit that: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German and Geography. But recently I've had a change of heart. Would it still be possible to get into a top univeristy to do law, i.e. Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, etc. Or does the lack of English, History etc make it highly likely I wouldn't? Help would be appreciated!

English literature and history are just A-levels that are good to have because of the skills that you develop by studying them.
There is no requirement that you are expected to have studied them and your science A-levels are fine.
You should be prepared to answer at an Oxbridge interview questions like 'Why do you want to study law having studies A-level science subjects?'
So you should think of the skills that those subjects allow you to develop and how they will help you in the study of law. Its fine to say that you enjoy them more than subjects like English and History and thats why you chose them.
Reply 4
Yeah you'll be fine! At a guess, Geography will help you keep up essay-writing, and German will be good for language skills (international aspect!), argumentative essays and keeping up with current affairs (particularly Europe, which is a biggy!), which will make things easier for you. Maths and Further Maths show a logical way of thinking, and a certain level of aptitude and intelligence (Further Maths I mean, as many people just can't cope with it). You've got a good range of subjects there, showing breadth, which they like for law, and no-one will ever expect you to have done History or English.
Reply 5
milly87
Yeah you'll be fine! At a guess, Geography will help you keep up essay-writing, and German will be good for language skills (international aspect!), argumentative essays and keeping up with current affairs (particularly Europe, which is a biggy!), which will make things easier for you. Maths and Further Maths show a logical way of thinking, and a certain level of aptitude and intelligence (Further Maths I mean, as many people just can't cope with it). You've got a good range of subjects there, showing breadth, which they like for law, and no-one will ever expect you to have done History or English.

I suppose your right. It's just that I have this ideal list of subjects for law in my head (english lit, history etc). I see what you mean and my diversity might actually benefit me rather than hinder.

Latest

Trending

Trending