The Student Room Group

Should an MOT test involve a diagnostic test if they suspect a fault?

I had an MOT yesterday , car failed mainly on emissions. MOT tester thinks car may have a slight misfire due to high levels of hydrocarbons. he said come back tomorrow and he'll do a diagnostics test which will cost around £40 which will reveal if it is misfiring. I'm wondering should he have done the diagnostics during the MOT , after all if he suspected a fault he should have investigated it which is what the MOT is about
No. If an MOT fails on emissions, it's not he garages responsibility to tell you what's wrong. They are only doing an MOT.
Reply 2
Original post by shaymarriott
No. If an MOT fails on emissions, it's not he garages responsibility to tell you what's wrong. They are only doing an MOT.

That doesn't make one bit of sense at all.

The garage has no responsibility to tell somebody what's wrong with their car on an MOT? utter bull****

car fails on emissions than the mot tester should be responsible for explaining to you why he thinks it has failed and advise you no what needs doing to go forward to pass it's MOT.

During the MOT the tester is looking for any faults with the car, if he suspects a fault with misfire or emissions then he should plug in the diagnostics and if a code appears then put that down on the MOT certificate
( not wait until after the MOT and then say it'll be another £40 to check for faults with diagnostics, that's what should be included in the MOT IMO)

I really cannot believe what you have just stated, that is some dumb ****
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Astra owner
The garage has no responsibility to tell somebody what's wrong with their car on an MOT? utter bull****
car fails on emissions than the mot tester should be responsible for explaining to you why he thinks it has failed and advise you no what needs doing to go forward to pass it's MOT.
The garage has to tell you WHY it failed, not how to fix it.

During the MOT the tester is looking for any faults with the car, if he suspects a fault with misfire or emissions then he should plug in the diagnostics and if a code appears then put that down on the MOT certificate .
No! Not a requirement for the MOT.

During the MOT the tester is looking for any faults with the car, if he suspects a fault with misfire or emissions then he should plug in the diagnostics and if a code appears then put that down on the MOT certificate
( not wait until after the MOT and then say it'll be another £40 to check for faults with diagnostics, that's what should be included in the MOT IMO)

Firstly, calm down.

Secondly, if you are refuting my answer because you know best, then why even bother asking.

Thirdly, they are just doing an MOT.

If it fails, by all means pay the garage to diagnose and/or fix any problems, but this is a separate service.

And in your opinion they should include a diagnostic? Thanks for your opinion! That's just grand, it really is.

But they generally don't include it, so tough. If you can't afford to have your dodgy car fixed, you probably can't afford to be driving.
Firstly, calm down.

Secondly, if you are refuting my answer because you know best, then why even bother asking.

If it fails, by all means pay the garage to diagnose and/or fix any problems, but this is a separate service.

And in your opinion they should include a diagnostic? Thanks for your opinion! That's just grand, it really is.

But they generally don't include it, so tough. If you can't afford to have your dodgy car fixed, you probably can't afford to be driving.

I agree
Reply 6

As others have said an MOT and a service is a seperate thing.

Here is a list of what is CHECKED on an MOT:-

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-information-for-motorists/mot-test-checks-list

Note that an MOT is only a check. It is not there to diagnose, fix or service the car. That comes under a separate part of garage time and hence why MOTs are quite cheap and the fee is capped.

Finally, the OP did get an idea of what it could be, which was a misfire due to a failed coil, which would make sense. A diagnostic test MIGHT confirm that, but you should be able to hear it as well.

An MOT hardly looks at the engine, it only looks at emissions and if any warning lights are up. That's it.
Reply 7
Original post by mphysical
The garage has to tell you WHY it failed, not how to fix it.

No! Not a requirement for the MOT.

The MOT tester doesn't exactly have to tell you why it failed, only what it's failed on. and usually 100% of the time they give you advice about how to repair the problem to get it through it's MOT so........
Original post by arson_fire
The MOT is just a basic test to ensure the car is safe to be on the road - it`s not a service.

I didn't say anything about a service so......

Firstly, calm down.

It's not a dodgy car.
I can more than afford to run my car thank you, I spend typically £70 per week on petrol about £280 a month on petrol, £30 parking a week and any repairs that I need hardly even feel it financially but I hate paying for something that isn't needed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by arson_fire
An MOT is a test to ensure your car meets a basic level of safety to be on the road.

Is your ass jealous of the amount of **** that just came out your mouth?

it didn't come out of my mouth, it came out of my hands as I'm on a keyboard you thingy
Reply 9
The MOT tester doesn't exactly have to tell you why it failed, only what it's failed on. and usually 100% of the time they give you advice about how to repair the problem to get it through it's MOT so........

It's not a dodgy car.
I can more than afford to run my car thank you, I spend typically £70 per week on petrol about £280 a month on petrol, £30 parking a week and any repairs that I need hardly even feel it financially but I hate paying for something that isn't needed.

maybe you or anyone else who can only afford to put 20 - £30 a week fuel in your car shouldn't have a car due to financial reasons so go **** yourself

do you even know what your supposedly agreeing too?

an MOT is there to diagnose faults, hence failure sheet you retarded ****

Its not a failure sheet, its a check list. If it doesn't work, it won't pass. The cause of it not working doesn't matter. It doesn't work.

I really don't understand how this is a complicated subject for you.

There is nothing about £280 a month on petrol. If you spend £70 a week on petrol, 70 x 4 weeks is £280. Therefore you do spend £280 a month on petrol.

But thank you for clarifying this simple maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gbduo
Its not a failure sheet, its a check list. If it doesn't work, it won't pass. The cause of it not working doesn't matter. It doesn't work.

I really don't understand how this is a complicated subject for you.

There is nothing about £280 a month on petrol. If you spend £70 a week on petrol, 70 x 4 weeks is £280. Therefore you do spend £280 a month on petrol.

But thank you for clarifying this simple maths.

don't understand what your suggesting ?

It's not a dodgy car.

maybe you or anyone else who can only afford to put 20 - £30 a week fuel in your car shouldn't have a car due to financial reasons so go **** yourself

do you even know what your supposedly agreeing too?

an MOT is there to diagnose faults, hence failure sheet you retarded ****

Ha

I drive a defender... Do you know how much that costs to run?

I commute 60 miles a day in it...

Clearly if your car isn't passing its MOT then it needs the repairs.

Stop having a tantrum, just because you are wrong!
Ha

I drive a defender... Do you know how much that costs to run?

I commute 60 miles a day in it...

Clearly if your car isn't passing its MOT then it needs the repairs.

Stop having a tantrum, just because you are wrong!

No I don't know how much a '' defender'' costs to run but it sounds like an ugly car. Is that the reason you don't drive a proper car, it's because you can't afford the fuel? you can't afford to drive if that's the cases get the bus fabio

wow you drive 60 miles a day, do you want a medal?? I drive over 400 a week so............

my car needn't need repairs so........................

I'm not thingy, I'm calm
No I don't know how much a '' defender'' costs to run but it sounds like an ugly car. Is that the reason you don't drive a proper car, it's because you can't afford the fuel? you can't afford to drive if that's the cases get the bus fabio

wow you drive 60 miles a day, do you want a medal?? I drive over 400 a week so............

I'm not thingy, I'm calm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender

Clearly your car does need repairs... It's failed it's MOT.

Case rested.

I'm not thingy, I'm calm

I clocked up 700 miles this week. Big whoop. Defenders are awesome too, I miss mine :frown:

Cars are expensive. Either man up and learn how to fix it yourself, or pay up. It's that simple.
Original post by Nuffles
I clocked up 700 miles this week. Big whoop. Defenders are awesome too, I miss mine :frown:

Cars are expensive. Either man up and learn how to fix it yourself, or pay up. It's that simple.

I would;d absolutely love to fix my own car, I really really would. I drive past repair shops and look in jealous of the apprentices and mechanics in there.

Why don't I do it? anxiety obviously
I would;d absolutely love to fix my own car, I really really would. I drive past repair shops and look in jealous of the apprentices and mechanics in there.

Why don't I do it? anxiety obviously

Where do you think I started? I just had a go when stuff broke. Google is your friend.
I see gbduo has all readty pointed out that an MoT test is a vehicle examination undertaken by an approved tester on behalf of the DVSA .

the fact most mainland MoT testing stations for light vehicles are co-located with servce / repair garages is a bit of a quirk of History.

for many years all the large vehicle testing centres weredirectly operated by VOSA, although this has now changed ( especially given that VOSA and the TCs used to inspect / audit large vehicle repairers for them to be deemed acceptable as part of O-licencing).

Elsewhere in the world ( including Norn Iron ) vehicle test centres are run by the relevant government dept to prevent (ha ha ) corruption ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending