The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Posting a first-class essay online sounds like an invitation to plagiarism! I don't know, as I haven't started the course yet, but I'd imagine your tutors will help you get there, and something that was deemed first class at another university, they might not like?! They can't expect you to be perfect to begin with - it'll be a matter of trial and error.
Reply 2
doesnt have to be anyone personal work, mayb just an example of a website or whatever. they take plagarism very seirously at uni these days, ud have to be an idiot to do so.
Reply 3
If I can recall my memory, I think that there were some example essays given in the book by Phillip H Kenny, with the title 'Studying Law'. He gave some instances that how a first class student and a mediocre student will tackle the problem, and then comments upon them. If you have an access to any reliable library, just go and check it out yourself. That is in case, no one attaches an essay(first class) here.
Reply 4
sounds perfect, cheers!
Reply 5
You can't just post a first class essay here and expect to then see how to get first class marks unfortunately.

You need understanding of the law, clear application to the facts, discussion of policy arguments and possibilities for reform - basically as much clear thought as possible.

If you can get all this in, great, you'll get a first, but you *have* to have the understanding and thoughts yourself developed from your own work, development and outside reading - you can't learn from reading someone's elses essay really.

Of course reading them will give you an idea of what is expected, but you have to have the ability within you and your learning :smile:
Reply 6
some ppl posted them on here not too long ago, have a rifle thru old posts, im sure there are some attached from bout 2 mnths ago??
Our lecturers for each individual module have been giving us out the criteria of what they will be looking for in essays and other coursework pieces. Here is the guide from one of my modules for an outstanding performance, but they all say pretty much the same thing:

Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the subject by identifying all or almost all of the relevant facts and princiles for the given task, excellent levels of analysis and evaluation with no erroneous inclusions...identifies a very high number of directly relevant examples to illustrate declared theory, well founded conclusions. Almost all of the following are demonstrated to a high standard: written communication is clear, grammatically correct, points are developed in a logical manner.

For a pass:

Demonstrates adequate understanding of the subject by identifying some of the relevant facts and principles for the given task, competent levels of analysis and evaluation with satisfactory inclusions where relevant ones outweigh erroneous inclusions... identifies a few diectly relevant examples to illustrate theory, adequate conclusions. Some of the following is demonstarted: written communication is clear, gramatically correct, points are developed in a logical manner.

Not saying that is exactly what every uni is looking for, but i think it would be a fair representation.
Just read a book called 'How to write Law essays,' go back and read a first class answer and then it is possible to identify how the essay adopts models illustrated in the book.

It is a relatively new publication, the author does not come to mind but it is very detailed.

I think it would be daft to post essays on here. For starters someone may try to sell them to one of these internet companies that market model answers. They offered a reasonable sum for my conflicts essay that got 80%
I think this might be the book Laura is referring to... haven't got it yet - intending to purchase it once I find out what my "course" books are going to be tomorrow. It has been recommended elsewhere on the forum.

Amazon - S I Strong - How to Write Law Essays and Exams

Blackwells - S I Strong - How to Write Law Essays and Exams.
Seems like a good one to invest in - looks as though it is something that will be useful throughout the degree.
I wasn't a great fan of Dr Strong's book on writing law essays. As has been discussed elsewhere on this forum he has the 'CLEO' method of writing an answer (claim, law, evaluation and outcome). I think that its too rigid an approach to adopt.
The best thing that you can do if you want to score highly is learn to master the analytical technique if you can think of original ways of presenting that material then you are probably on line for a First.
It is Strong! I don't follow CLEO rigidly and follow everything he says as gospel but I think it is worth reading. Plus it is easy to get into bad writing habits and it has a section on writing effectively. Sometimes some of us forget our own silly mistakes when we our busy and need them pointing out to us.

CLEO is really like IRAC
superdillon
The best thing that you can do if you want to score highly is learn to master the analytical technique if you can think of original ways of presenting that material then you are probably on line for a First.

I fully agree with this advice, however I have always found using some sort of structure helpful - not to stick to rigidly, but to help focus myself.
I haven't read any of the Strong stuff or worked with the CLEO stuff specifically so I really couldn't comment on this.
LauraWalker
It is Strong! I don't follow CLEO rigidly and follow everything he says as gospel but I think it is worth reading. Plus it is easy to get into bad writing habits and it has a section on writing effectively. Sometimes some of us forget our own silly mistakes when we our busy and need them pointing out to us.

The things about Strong's book is that it is presented like the CLEO method is the answer to all out prayers. It simply isn't. So he makes some good points about each of these four steps a lot of which is good. If you look at the back of the book and the sort of 'model' answers he gives you can see at first hand that the CLEO method can't be applied that well. They are reasonably good answers (no way does the answer that he says gets a first match up to that standard) but they are in no way analytical or critical or for that matter well organised. Then he has a chapter about how you can use the CLEO method for essay questions that ask you to 'discuss'. That chapter isn't the worst in the book however. The worst chapter is the one that says you can use the CLEO method when you are practicing law :eek:
Now of course you are going to have to do each of the four steps of the CLEO method- I DO NOT DOUBT THAT. But the fact remains that the CLEO method is too simplistic a method to be practical in the least bit. You certainly shouldn't be taught to apply it to every legal academic and practice thing that you will do.
A better (if you can find one) will be one that offers helpful advice which is practical and not as prescriptive as Strong's book. The best that I can think of is that chapter in Glanville Williams' Learning the law. It offers great advice that you will be better off using in my opinion.
I suppose that you could read Strong's book for the advice and a few of the pointers but you should absolutely not follow it for the rest of your life!

LauraWalker
CLEO is really like IRAC

huh??
Well I have not got time to go into this today because its thundering and raining. Hence I am p*ssed off and wet. I see your point that it is not quite the same. I was not really thinking that much and getting chilled by over ambitious southern air-conditioning.

May-be you should e-mail him about it or write and Amazon review if you hate it that much. I feel he is a more appropriate target to take it up with.
P.s After so strongly pushing his book- I am not in love with Strong aaarrrah
LauraWalker
Well I have not got time to go into this today because its thundering and raining. Hence I am p*ssed off and wet. I see your point that it is not quite the same. I was not really thinking that much and getting chilled by over ambitious southern air-conditioning.

May-be you should e-mail him about it or write and Amazon review if you hate it that much. I feel he is a more appropriate target to take it up with.

lol :p:
superdillon
A better (if you can find one) will be one that offers helpful advice which is practical and not as prescriptive as Strong's book. The best that I can think of is that chapter in Glanville Williams' Learning the law. It offers great advice that you will be better off using in my opinion.

I've bought the brand new version that's just come out so I can brush up on my technique. I will let you know my thoughts when I actually get around to reading it :p:
In my humble opinion creating a first class answer is not something necessarily learned from a book with a subject like law, although it can help. It simply takes time to realise what is required of you after you leave school where you were given marks purely for blurting everything you could recall onto a piece of paper. That doesn't say that these books will not be helpful, but even if you follow them it is experience and taking advantage of the, admittedly often scarce, feedback you receive (in fact the feedback you receive is downright useless a lot of the time) which will eventually push your marks up. Personally I have never used any of the books mentioned above, but I am tempted to give them a quick flick to see if the techniques suggested match up to mine, by a strange coincidence.

Latest

Trending

Trending