The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Molecular Genetics

I'm applying for Molecular Genetics (and Chemical Biology) at Sussex and I just wondered how competitive it was?

I haven't seen anyone post about it on here, maybe I'm just blind, but the course seems so interesting that it has suprised me.

I fell in love with Sussex at the Open Day and I think I made a mistake of making it my first Uni to visit as everywhere else didn't seem as nice after lol.

Another thing is that my AS level grades weren't great, but my predicted grades are ABB (maths, biology, chemistry) whereas my AS grades were BCD. I was advised not to decash them as I'd have a better chance to improve my A2 grade.

What will get looked at more, my personal statement, references and Predicted Grades or my AS grades. Obviously the references and statement will have a major influence, but I'm just worried they'll see my AS grades and just reject me straight away.
Reply 1
*bump*

I want to do my application tonight.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
xrosiex
*bump*

I want to do my application tonight.

Well I know nothing about molecular genetics, but just generally - obviously you might have to work a bit harder on the references and personal statement to make up for the AS grades but I don't think its an insurmountable problem

I'd have thought you'd have a good chance of getting a conditional offer if your predicted grades are high enough and you come up with an imaginitive and interesting statement

And you've still got 5 other choices if it doesn't come off :wink:
Reply 3
That is true about the 5 other choices, but someone told me about the Molecular Genetics course when I was like 14 and it's been in my head ever since and although all the other courses seem interesting enough and I wouldn't mind doing them I'd feel like I was missing out on a lot if I didn't get in.

But my minds put at rest now at least :biggrin: Thank you.
Reply 4
I did quite badly at AS, but I still got an offer (for Psychology), and I managed to sort myself out at A2
Reply 5
i'm doing molecular genetics in biotechnology. starting my second year in a few days, woo hoo... it's interesting. first year, you have a lot of the same classes as bio. majors and all of the same classes as biochem. majors, and pretty much most of the same as molecular medicine majors. it's an interesting subject with interesting lecturers. I got in with a BCC to mol. gen in biotech, but i think i was just really lucky, cause my offer was BBB. my personal statement kinda sucked.

Latest

Trending

Trending