The Student Room Group

Am I his back up plan ?

We were together 2 years and agreed to take a break as as we were falling out a lot . We met up as we had been invited to a gathering by a mutual friend and although I had been really missing him he told me at this point he now wanted a complete break from me for the time being . Said we needed to focus on our lives although he still loved me and if the time was right at some point maybe we could try again . I was so devastated by this and very emotional but he seemed quite detached about it all almost not himself . He is very close to one of his girl housemates, they seem to be joined at the hip so don't know if this is a factor or not . He insisted there's no one else and said he would be gutted if I met anyone else

Should I go with my gut reaction that I'm purely a back up plan if no one better comes along ?
I wouldn't say you're a backup. I think he just said that as a nicer way of letting you down, sorry.
No, you're not a back up plan.
He just wanted to lessen the impact of emotional wreckage and distress.
You never know, I actually did get back together with somebody who said this to me. We split up again though, and I wouldn't recommend anyone getting back together with an ex. It ended for a reason.

OP, I'm really sorry this has happened to you, I can feel the hurt in your post. The best thing you can do now is take some time and space away from him completely to clear your head. The pain will go with time.

Quick Reply

Latest