The Student Room Group

Changing driving instructor

I've only just started learning and done 2 hours of learning in a manual and I'm not too bad as I've done a bit of driving before and I'm a quick learner, but this guy, he's not bad but not amazing... we went through the cock pit drill and stuff not a problem. Except like every learning driver, I stalled the car quite a bit, especially when it came to junctions. He wasn't particularly helpful when it came to junctions. I'm naturally a weary person, so when i came to a junction I stopped, he told me off for stopping all the time and said I had priority which I understand but not all drivers comply with the rules you know what I mean? Like a car could have just sped through expecting me to stop then what? Some time I did just go straight across even with a car coming at a high speed but I still didn't feel comfortable enough. My mum didn't really let me have a choice with my instructor and I preferably would like a woman, someone I can relate to more and feel confident. I am with red, can I change?
Hi.

You are the one that is paying your instructor, therefore you want the best service.

If you feel like your instructor is not providing the service you expect, then surely change instructors fast as possible.

I also wasn't confident at the start, but more and more driving and I got more confident.

From your saying, it sounds to me that you did some mistakes (which is how you learn (every learner makes mistakes)). But instructor should understand that you are learner and you are not going to be perfect driver straight away.

If I was you, I'd book few more lessons (if you can) and see how it goes on, also try to be more confident. Instructor has pedals on their side of the car in case any car causes danger to you. If you have priority and car comes at high speed to the point where it's dangerous then instructor will stop the car, you don't have to worry. If it carries on with instructor not being helpful, then I'd advise changing.

However, if you don't want to take the risk of wasting money with him and have a feeling he's not going to do well, then switch immediately.
(edited 9 years ago)
Taking driving lessons help developdriving skills. I am encouraging parents to have their teens enrol in a drivingschool. My driving school experience has been excellent. I learnt a lot of techniques.My instructor was kind to me.
I think your instructor is trying to discourage your naturally wary thinking. In your driving test you will be given a fault for hesitation, continued undue hesitation in one area eg junctions results in failing. As long as you assess the situation as you are approaching a junction you have no reason to stop unless at a give way line from a minor road on to a major road. As those on the major road have priority eg if they are beginning to turn into your junction, you would wait for a few seconds to allow space. I think your instructor needs to explain the rules a little more. Don't forget to ask questions! Regardless of how silly they might sound, your instructor can't read your mind and every instructor is different in teaching methods. Talk out loud if you feel nervous, that way you are opening the line of communication. If your instructor blatantly isn't advising you, then i would reconsider your options. It is your money after all. I've had three driving instructors, the first showed up with a suv with no dual controls and was more interested in small talk than teaching. The second constantly shouted at me, so i never called him back after 3 lessons. The third is slightly more expensive but really engages in my lessons. Even from day one she would ask me theory questions as i was driving. Which helped me remember alot on the day of my theory test.
Reply 4
Original post by MarikaGogo
I've only just started learning and done 2 hours of learning in a manual and I'm not too bad as I've done a bit of driving before and I'm a quick learner, but this guy, he's not bad but not amazing... we went through the cock pit drill and stuff not a problem. Except like every learning driver, I stalled the car quite a bit, especially when it came to junctions. He wasn't particularly helpful when it came to junctions. I'm naturally a weary person, so when i came to a junction I stopped, he told me off for stopping all the time and said I had priority which I understand but not all drivers comply with the rules you know what I mean? Like a car could have just sped through expecting me to stop then what? Some time I did just go straight across even with a car coming at a high speed but I still didn't feel comfortable enough. My mum didn't really let me have a choice with my instructor and I preferably would like a woman, someone I can relate to more and feel confident. I am with red, can I change?

You're paying for it, course you can change. Although if you stopped when you had right in the exam you would've ended up failing. I understand where you're coming from, which is why you should take a quick look on approach, but not stop unless you're forced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending