The Student Room Group

Don't go to UK, he said

I told my teacher that i really want to go to UK, he's a Welsh, but he told me, probably, UK isn't a good choice,maybe Darwin or New Zealand.
He said it's too damn expensive there...
Yeah i know, but i still wanna go to UK.
any advice?

Scroll to see replies

It is now cheaper to study in UK than it is to study in Australia. Tuition fee inflation for international students keep going up and up while in UK it generally goes inline with inflation and not too much more than home/EU students.

Many parts of UK can be cheaper to live as a student than it is to live in Australia especially Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.
Original post by SummerDiggory
I told my teacher that i really want to go to UK, he's a Welsh, but he told me, probably, UK isn't a good choice,maybe Darwin or New Zealand.
any advice?

Work on your written English.

The Uk depending on where you live can be cheap if you were hoping for London then yes it's very expensive but many places up north such a Manchester and Liverpool are very cheap to live.
Original post by SophieSmall
Work on your written English.

The Uk depending on where you live can be cheap if you were hoping for London then yes it's very expensive but many places up north such a Manchester and Liverpool are very cheap to live.

well, thank you. advise, i mean. haha still working on it.
:colondollar:

how about the taxes, then?
if we working while studying, should i pay for taxes as well?
my teacher, he said that personal income tax is really high as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm Welsh and I always tell foreigners not to go there. Britain must be putting out some hardline propaganda to convince this many people it's worth going to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
any advice?

Darwin?
Original post by Alfissti
It is now cheaper to study in UK than it is to study in Australia. Tuition fee inflation for international students keep going up and up while in UK it generally goes inline with inflation and not too much more than home/EU students.

Many parts of UK can be cheaper to live as a student than it is to live in Australia especially Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.

Good to know that many parts of UK may cheaper than Australia, and yeah, it's maybe cheaper but still, i don't have enough money , haha..
:colondollar::colondollar:
so, you live in UK?
Original post by Jebedee
I'm Welsh and I always tell foreigners not to go there. Britain must be putting out some hardline propaganda to convince this many people it's worth going to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But why, tho?
it's about the living cost, or goverment, or?
Original post by Viceroy
Darwin?

Yup, Darwin, Australia.
What do you think?
Reply 9
But why, tho?
it's about the living cost, or goverment, or?

That and it's plain ugly. It has some nice places but they pale in comparison to many other European countries.

Plus there's a much higher standard of people in other European countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup, Darwin, Australia.
What do you think?

Sorry, didn't get that initially. If you want to go to the UK to study, you could get a student visa and go for a few years. You wouldn't be subject to the same taxes of people who live there on a permanent basis. It's still pretty expensive though ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by that?
well, thank you. advise, i mean. haha still working on it.
:colondollar:

'Advice' was correct - I think that person just meant in general. :smile:

Where are you from? UK citizens are allowed to earn up to £10,000 a year untaxed - I don't know about students on visas / from the rest of the EU. Where you are from will also determine whether you get a loan, either from us or from your own country.

Also, do you have a particular university in mind? :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
That and it's plain ugly. It has some nice places but they pale in comparison to many other European countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw. now i understand, my teacher said, UK just not as beautiful as seen on TV, or movie.
But , still, UK is beautiful to me.

umm ,may i ask you, have you ever visit asian country?
Reply 14
Wait, isn't Wales in the UK? Where is Darwin?

Spoiler

Reply 15
Why would anyone want to come here. I am choking to leave!!! I guess everybody has their own opinions, but I think the UK is dead and has nothing special going for it. Better and much bigger opportunities outside, and generally you get nicer people elsewhere, not saying that there isn't nice people here but nowadays it is just full of mouthy teenagers, teenage pregnancies, junkies and ignorant people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
Sorry, didn't get that initially. If you want to go to the UK to study, you could get a student visa and go for a few years. You wouldn't be subject to the same taxes of people who live there on a permanent basis. It's still pretty expensive though ...

Well, maybe the only way is, i should collect some money first, then go to UK.
but i dont't know if i want to study at UK because, i have no confident at all, and i'm not sure they'll accept me.
visiting UK is good, but studying at UK, i wish i could.
Original post by arminb
Wait, isn't Wales in the UK? Where is Darwin?

Spoiler

Exactly, and Darwin is in Australia.

And finally, someone said that UK is beautiful.
You're the only one, in this post, who said UK is beautiful. well, me too, to be honest.

Do you live in UK?
Original post by sophia44
Why would anyone want to come here. I am choking to leave!!! I guess everybody has their own opinions, but I think the UK is dead and has nothing special going for it. Better and much bigger opportunities outside, and generally you get nicer people elsewhere, not saying that there isn't nice people here but nowadays it is just full of mouthy teenagers, teenage pregnancies, junkies and ignorant people.

Maybe, we should switch our place :biggrin:
if you want it too..
do you love sunny place? with so many beach and sure, you may have sunbathe everyday

Why you're not leaving, then?
Reply 19
Maybe, we should switch our place :biggrin:
if you want it too..
do you love sunny place? with so many beach and sure, you may have sunbathe everyday

Why you're not leaving, then?

Hahaha why not. I am wanting to move to America as i have family and stuff there and i just love it over there but i have to finish college first and then i'll apply to university in America. Plus i enjoy it and have a few good friends there as well. So fingers crossed. First opportunity and i am out but sadly i have to wait for a year :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending