The Student Room Group

Women only trains,carriages,busses etc

Ok ladies.
Apparently in japan women have women only carriages on trains because it makes them feel safe and it has decreased the number of sexual assaults
We all know that some of you might feel get paranoid and some would have been touched up before in the past so would you welcome this?

Scroll to see replies

Separating genders only lead to more discrimination.
Original post by matthewduncan
Ok ladies.
Apparently in japan women have women only carriages on trains because it makes them feel safe and it has decreased the number of sexual assaults
We all know that some of you might feel get paranoid and some would have been touched up before in the past so would you welcome this?

They also had them in Malaysia when I went, even on the KL Rapid (monorail). I guess it's because a lot of them are practising Muslims, so it allows them to feel safer. I completely agree with giving women the choice in countries like Malaysia (which isn't even that religious compared to others) because there were a lot of guys that were getting a little too close for comfort and were kind of leery.

I wouldn't endorse it in a more multicultural country (e.g. England) because it's not necessary
Yes, then they can yap loudly on their phones all together and leave me in peace.
Pls no! Imagine all the bitching you'd have to listen to and all the make up everywhere ewwww.
Of course it's unacceptable to not only have carriages available to only the one gender, but also have more carriages available to one gender than the other.
Absolutely ridiculous and exceptionally offensive to men, but that doesn't matter of course.

Although when "harassment" counts as this:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/28/100-catcalls-in-10-hours-video-of-woman-walking-streets-with-hidden-camera-will-make-you-think-4925861/

I get harassed by my coworkers every single day, and some people in public!

Also, if you want to get your Jimmies rustled and have any common sense:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/28/15-signs-chivalry-is-dead-4925317/

Probably the most ridiculous list articles I have ever read.

Enjoy!
To be honest, it would make me feel safer when travelling alone in the evening. I think at least 60% of the time I'm on a train a guy or group of guys say or do something to make me uncomfortable and it's humiliating and I've seen it happen to other women plenty of times to know it's a regular occurrence. Maybe gender specific train carriages aren't the answer, but trains should be more safe.
I don't agree with it. It's just teaching people to avoid the issue when really they need to learn to confront it. While you can make women only carriages, you can't do that for every other place in the world where this happens. It happens everywhere, including the most unlikely places such as the park or the work place. You can't expect people to make women only offices. Or women only buses. Or even women only streets.

It happened to me twice - once when I was 15, and again when I was 18. When I was 15 didn't know what to do/how to react/how to confront the man. When I was 18 I quietly confronted the guy and managed to get him to stop. He was just too persistent. He followed me out of the station and then raped me in a street corner sort of thing. (Long story.) What I should've done was confront him by making a big deal out of it. Embarrassing them and making them feel inferior is a brilliant way to stop them. I only realised that looong after it happened.

After both of those experiences I still disagree with the idea of segregating the sexes on trains because it encourages women to avoid the issue, and it encourages the men to continue doing it elsewhere. If women were encouraged to confront the guys who do this then they might stop. If these guys get caught doing it they should be banned from using public transport. They shouldn't get away with it by having an entire carriage for themselves.
No. The reason why this works in Japan is because there is a high number of sexual assaults that are committed on public transport. Simple. That isn't the case here in the UK so it would be a waste of time and money. The tube/ trains are already crowded enough as it is, this would result in even more crowding and no space on the platform if men couldn't go on certain carriages. Also, a carriage labelled 'women only' wouldn't stop someone from committing sexual assault.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Huskaris
Absolutely ridiculous and exceptionally offensive to men, but that doesn't matter of course.

Although when "harassment" counts as this:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/28/100-catcalls-in-10-hours-video-of-woman-walking-streets-with-hidden-camera-will-make-you-think-4925861/

I get harassed by my coworkers every single day, and some people in public!

Also, if you want to get your Jimmies rustled and have any common sense:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/28/15-signs-chivalry-is-dead-4925317/

Probably the most ridiculous list articles I have ever read.

Enjoy!

I didn't think of 1 as being harassment at first but it probably gets annoying and intimidating getting comments from men (mainly stronger) who insist on following and complimenting her based on her looks, particularly in strange and poor areas. You have to understand context, in a cafe or a bar it's more acceptable, when a woman is just trying to commute from A to B I can understand why it's annoying.
our trains are so overcrowded - how can we justify giving women extra carriages given plenty of them will sit in the unisex areas anyway? presumably they aren't going to pay extra for the increased chance of seating?

it also wont prevent sexual assaults on railways etc, I'd imagine most occur on empty trains and if the women's carriage is empty there is no reason a man couldn't walk in and assault someone anyway if they wanted to

segregation is not a solution to perceived sexism
1) this is discriminatory, non-equal and anti-gender harmony - it is just as discriminatory as jim crow laws in both its effects and its assumptions towards biological demographics
2) it brands men as perverted, violent and immoral, and it brands women as cowardly and weak willed and pitiful - sexist in every way possible.
Reply 13
As a lady, I think that having women only public transport is just a bit stupid. Although some women may feel intimidated by the opposing gender, either by experience or thought, its not equal. What about if men feel the same way about women to, because sexual harassment happens to both genders, so why should women get the special treatment. It is also a great way to teach women to be afraid of men. Instead of carrying on letting women to be afraid of men, they need to get help and learn that not everyone in the world will sexually harass them. This isn't teaching people to be gender-equal.
Reply 14
Ok ladies.

As someone who is half Japanese, I would just like to point out that this is not very common at all in Japan and I have never seen it - despite it being my main mode of transport every time I'm there. Wanted to mention this to prevent misinterpretation :P

Personally I think this is a bad idea, for all the reasons people have already mentioned. However I'm very much in favour of feeling safer on public transport, I just feel as though this would cause more harm than good.
We might feel safer on a women's only carriage but it doesn't address any issue there might be with harrassment/assault and only reinforces the lesson that we should fear being alone with men, which is obviously not ideal (or the case).
This is ridiculous. Women need to be grateful that men have let them into education and get jobs in the past century. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Plus women love all the attention men give them - not talking about harrassment - but the looks, the flirting and the special treatment (read: money).

Imagine if all the men just disappeared for 24 hours, the cosmetic and the fashion industry would crash. Not to mention the inevitable damage to the infastructure of every city due to countless road accidents.

Women need men.

Men don't need women.
Ok ladies.

this is definitely the way forward. hopefully it will lead to separate sections for LGBT and other vulnerable groups of travellers.
Why can't humans be unite instead of all this donkey ass about genders and stuff, screw this race yo

Posted from TSR Mobile
A woman lightly brushed past and pinched my buttock in a bar recently and smiled at me. Now I think I am going to create a victim campaign about this event. In fact I'm going to launch a kickstarter asking for £100,000 to help me get through this tramatic event and help me make videos about horny women grabbing innocent young men's buttocks and how it is wrong. I'll also make sure these youtube videos have disabled comment and ratings so people can't have freedom of speech.

Everyone must do as I say and pay attention to me. me. Also my situation is very important. Much more than those underpaid male soldiers on the frontlines or men working in mines, dangerous construction etc. Yeh don't worry about them please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending