The Student Room Group

A Level choices for Medicine?

So for a while now, (quite a few years) I've wanted to be a Pediatrician when I'm older. I know how long it's going to take and the study that will go into it :')
I'm in Year 11 and it's coming up to A Level talk. Hopefully I'm going to stay in the sixth form of my current school but I'm not sure on what to take?
I was thinking Biology, Chemistry, English lit and Psychology (thinking about Child Psychology later on idk) but someone recently said I needed Maths and now I'm v confused
Help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by takeitbackx
So for a while now, (quite a few years) I've wanted to be a Pediatrician when I'm older. I know how long it's going to take and the study that will go into it :')
I'm in Year 11 and it's coming up to A Level talk. Hopefully I'm going to stay in the sixth form of my current school but I'm not sure on what to take?
I was thinking Biology, Chemistry, English lit and Psychology (thinking about Child Psychology later on idk) but someone recently said I needed Maths and now I'm v confused
Help?

You don't need maths, your current choices are fine - ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
You don't need maths, your current choices are fine - ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. Good luck!

Ah okay thank you!
Reply 3
I've just finished my GCSEs, and I want to be a paediatrician too :smile:
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Language. I only took maths because I thought it may help me- it's not a necessity unless you want to apply to Cambridge :smile:

The main bit of advice I can give to you is work super hard in your GCSEs (it is so worth it honestly, I can't explain how I felt on results day hahaha), and choose A Levels you know you're going to do well in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaNick
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths is the optimal four for this career, but some deviation wouldn't matter... However I would say that Chemistry and Biology are pretty essential.

According to whom? :rolleyes:
You could look at some universities and see what their requirements are?
I know almost everywhere will require Biology.
You don't need maths but it would make your application stronger..
Chemistry is also good.
English Lit wouldn't really add anything to your application though.. Sciences are definitely favored.
Medicine is super competitive so you have to work pretty hard :smile:
Also don't take things you really dislike because then you probably won't do that great..
Original post by FatFace817
You could look at some universities and see what their requirements are?
I know almost everywhere will require Biology.
You don't need maths but it would make your application stronger..
Chemistry is also good.
English Lit wouldn't really add anything to your application though.. Sciences are definitely favored.
Medicine is super competitive so you have to work pretty hard :smile:
Also don't take things you really dislike because then you probably won't do that great..

If any of this was actually true or even remotely accurate, don't you think the medical student in this thread would have told her so?

Logic. Is English Literature going to be of any value to someone doing experiments and scientific study relative to physics or mathematics?

Medical school doesn't involve doing "experiments" - and A level maths and physics have about as much relevance to a medical degree as A level English Lit.

I want to study Physics at university.

Well that explains a lot then.
Wow no need to go berserk on me and my intended degree, I'm just offering advice.

I didn't go beserk, you're just being a bit precious.

Misleading advice is worth nothing to anyone, so maybe in the future just stick to your area of interest - you don't see me going around giving advice on getting into physics degrees.
I'm just offering advice.

It is usually a good idea to make sure you know something about the subject you are offering advice on before doing so.

they do spend a lot of time doing practicals and experiments

Experiments? What makes you think that? What kind of experiments?
Original post by takeitbackx
Help?

Those subjects sounds fine. Yes, maths may be useful, and the odd uni may require it, but it isnt essential.
If any of this was actually true or even remotely accurate, don't you think the medical student in this thread would have told her so?

Medical school doesn't involve doing "experiments" - and A level maths and physics have about as much relevance to a medical degree as A level English Lit.

Well that explains a lot then.

Just saying medicine is competitive and most universities have preferences. Physics and maths are harder than english lit (i do english, maths and chemistry so I know) There are plenty of foreign students that get accepted and they are only required to pass a basic english exam... Maths is very desirable in medicine (and many other courses). And actually when i answered this question I hadn't seen anyone else suggest it and different unis have different values.. top unis may not look at your application unless they see you have taken relevant courses.. english lit is NOT relevant to that course, if you like english then say so in your personal statement, don't waste an a level on it that could be replaced by a subject that better demonstrates your ability in a given field.
Just saying medicine is competitive and most universities have preferences. Physics and maths are harder than english lit (i do english, maths and chemistry so I know)

Clever you. Medical schools don't give interviews or offers based on how "hard" TSR perceives certain A level subjects to be relative to others though. So that's not relevant here.

There are plenty of foreign students that get accepted and they are only required to pass a basic english exam... Maths is very desirable in medicine (and many other courses).

Is it now? And why is that? And where's your proof?

And actually when i answered this question I hadn't seen anyone else suggest it and different unis have different values.. top unis may not look at your application unless they see you have taken relevant courses..

Well obviously - universities won't give you an offer if you don't meet the entry requirements. But maths is neither a requirement or even a "desired" subject. So please, stop.

english lit is NOT relevant to that course, if you like english then say so in your personal statement, don't waste an a level on it that could be replaced by a subject that better demonstrates your ability in a given field.

Neither is maths, what do you think this is, an engineering degree?

I would argue that a firm grasp of English (though not necessarily an appreciation of literature) and confidence in extended writing is far more relevant to the work of a doctor than advanced maths knowledge which will never be used after A levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Maths is very desirable in medicine.

It will surprise you to learn, then, that of all the universities and colleges in the UK, only one Cambridge college states that an A level in maths is an entry requirement.
If you don't take AS maths then gl on UKCAT.
Clever you. Medical schools don't give interviews or offers based on how "hard" TSR perceives certain A level subjects to be relative to others though. So that's not relevant here.

Is it now? And why is that? And where's your proof?

Well obviously - universities won't give you an offer if you don't meet the entry requirements. But maths is neither a requirement or even a "desired" subject. So please, stop.

Neither is maths, what do you think this is, an engineering degree?

Maths is relevant, I was thinking of applying to Bristol University for medicine so I contacted them and they strongly recommended it. I also have a friend that was declined for medicine at Kings College London because his subjects were not and i quote 'competitive'. At A level he took Biology, Chemistry and English Language. My proof? Well I'm applying to university this year and was thinking about UCL, which have a huuggge intake of foreign students (they do make more money to be fair) into Economics (which I have now decided to apply for) and it says on most university websites that the only English qualification required (naturally not for English degrees) is a SELT test (basic English test in which you prove that you can communicate effectively in English). Medicine usually requires two from: bio, chem, maths, physics ...
Original post by Good bloke
It will surprise you to learn, then, that of all the universities and colleges in the UK, only one Cambridge college states that an A level in maths is an entry requirement.

I didn't say it was essential, I said it was desirable. Why would I just come out with that? I contacted Bristol and I have looked at a few other competitive universities (for medicine) And it is desirable and why wouldn't it be? And certainly more so than English for a med degree..
Maths is relevant,

But how? I'd like to know where this amazing maths link is that I've been oblivious to these past few years in medical school :rolleyes:

I was thinking of applying to Bristol University for medicine so I contacted them and they strongly recommended it. I also have a friend that was declined for medicine at Kings College London because his subjects were not and i quote 'competitive'. At A level he took Biology, Chemistry and English Language. My proof? Well I'm applying to university this year and was thinking about UCL, which have a huuggge intake of foreign students (they do make more money to be fair) into Economics (which I have now decided to apply for) and it says on most university websites that the only English qualification required (naturally not for English degrees) is a SELT test (basic English test in which you prove that you can communicate effectively in English).

No, you're plain wrong, and why you insist on dragging this out is beyond me. Medical schools publish their admissions policies online..."strongly recommended" doesn't mean jack **** unless it's part of the official entry requirements. The anecdote about your friend makes absolutely no sense and I'm pretty sure you must be missing some of the other details about his application - people get rejected for lots of different reasons, but those reasons aren't just made up on the spot by the university, and what you're saying is totally at odds with GKT's stated requirements.

You're applying for economics? That's great - so how about you stick to posting about that and since I'm already in medical school I'll stick to talking about medicine. That way, neither one of us will end up misleading people who come on here looking for genuine advice, as opposed to anecdotes and half-baked nonsense.

Medicine usually requires two from: bio, chem, maths, physics ...

Haha. So you can get into med school with A levels in maths and physics can you?
[QUOTE="Democracy;51244943"]But how? I'd like to know where this amazing maths link is that I've been oblivious to these past few years in medical school :rolleyes:

No, you're plain wrong, and why you insist on dragging this out is beyond me. Medical schools publish their admissions policies online..."strongly recommended" doesn't mean jack **** unless it's part of the official entry requirements. The anecdote about your friend makes absolutely no sense and I'm pretty sure you must be missing some of the other details about his application - people get rejected for lots of different reasons, but those reasons aren't just made up on the spot by the university, and what you're saying is totally at odds with GKT's stated requirements.

You're applying for economics? That's great - so how about you stick to posting about that and since I'm already in medical school I'll stick to talking about medicine. That way, neither one of us will end up misleading people who come on here looking for genuine advice, as opposed to anecdotes and half-baked nonsense.

Haha. So you can get into med school with A levels in maths and physics can you?[/QUOTE

You're so damn argumentative.. guess you're just bitter that you didn't get into Oxbridge? It's okay I'll leave you alone.
Bio and chem are the only two which are basically essential. Maths is also desirable by some unis such as Cambridge. It can also help for the UKCAT and BMAT. That being said, many people do not take maths. I would suggest changing psychology for maths, as psychology is considered a 'weaker' subject by unis. English lit on the other hand is a 'hard' subject. Hope that helps!

You're so damn argumentative.. guess you're just bitter that you didn't get into Oxbridge? It's okay I'll leave you alone.

Actually I did get into Oxbridge Medical School - but I rejected them in favour of London Metropolitan University Medical School :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest