The Student Room Group

Who can I speak to about my individual circumstances?

Hi,

I am a mother of three in part time employment, my husband is unable to work through incapacity but not eligible for any support himself as I receive working tax credits.
I plan to commence my OT degree full time in Sept 2015. I know that I can apply for the NHS bursary and things like adult dependant allowance, but I am really unsure of when to give up work, and how long it takes to be paid and when etc.
As you can imagine giving up work and relying on student finance for the first time ever is quite daunting (I have estimated that student finance will actually exceed my current wage!).
I've tried speaking to the jobcentre, to the council, and to tax credits but no-one seems to know how I can make this a smooth transition. I can't be the only mature student in this circumstance? Hopefully someone can advise me?

Kind regards,
Lea
Hello Elsie.Jay,

I can understand why you would be feeling this way as this is a big step.

What I would advise would be for you to make your application as soon as possible.

Applications for the 15/16 academic year will be open from around February 2015 this means that we can complete your assessment within 6 weeks to advise you of your entitlement for the academic year.

If you are entitled to NHS Funding then you would apply to them for your tuition fees & any supplementary grants.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending