The Student Room Group

Higher Human Biology 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stone101
Yeah I know but sometimes the teacher gets to see the exam paper and the pupils get to go over it with the teacher. This happened last year for maths so maybe it will this year hopefully

Yeah hopefully... The teachers at my school don't do that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher went over some of the section B questions with me but I never got a hold of the paper sorry
Original post by Caraburns
My teacher went over some of the section B questions with me but I never got a hold of the paper sorry

what was the answer to the question regarding the eye
Original post by bethany06
I honestly thought this would be my subject that would give me a shot at an A but i've never been so disappointed with a paper before. (Old Higher)

Same!!!! I did the new higher, and I found it very very very difficult. I never had a B or below in biology before... I'm not sure about that anymore...:frown:
Reply 84
Original post by adamskii
what was the answer to the question regarding the eye

My teacher went over that one with me. Cells A,B and C were rods.
Original post by Areebym
My teacher went over that one with me. Cells A,B and C were rods.

Yeah it was rods and then you were to speak about converging neuro pathways
Did your teacher find it a hard paper?

My teacher thought it was very problem solving based and said that the rods question shouldn't have been asked
What are your thoughts on the SPF question? I was so stuck on the last two parts :confused:
Copy of paper:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/133190019@N02/cP93m9

please discuss answers and make a marking scheme
Original post by bluephotography
What are your thoughts on the SPF question? I was so stuck on the last two parts :confused:

Since SPF 15 took an extra 15 minutes for the skin to get burnt, I guessed that SPF 35 took an extra 35 minutes... But that might have been too simple?

Then you had to add on the extra 10 minutes which the question said it takes for skin to get burnt without any protection.

So, 45 minutes???

Posted from TSR Mobile
WTF was the eye question 😳 I had never seen anything like that before!
Reply 91
I did the new higher and I thought it was hard. They missed out big topics such as translation and transcription and most of the questions were on areas of the course that I thought wouldn't be in the exam.
Reply 92
New to this folks, just wanted to see how you all found the higher human paper today?....I struggled with the question referring to the name of the cells in the eye👀
Reply 93
Original post by pupil1809
Since SPF 15 took an extra 15 minutes for the skin to get burnt, I guessed that SPF 35 took an extra 35 minutes... But that might have been too simple?

Then you had to add on the extra 10 minutes which the question said it takes for skin to get burnt without any protection.

So, 45 minutes???

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question said "When SPF 15 is applied to the skin, it will take 15 times longer to burn compared to having no sun screen applied"

Because of this i wrote that it would take 350 minutes to burn? Idk if i'm right but i have the paper infront of me and thats the only answer i'm getting
Original post by alexmc
The question said "When SPF 15 is applied to the skin, it will take 15 times longer to burn compared to having no sun screen applied"

Because of this i wrote that it would take 350 minutes to burn? Idk if i'm right but i have the paper infront of me and thats the only answer i'm getting

That sounds like a more reasonable answer. I wasn't too sure on that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Also always done well in biology, always A but after that I'm unsure...that's SPF question...more like WTF! And the rods?👎I had hardly been taught that...out every paper I went over while studying I hadn't come across half of they questions! Was fed a weird one!
Original post by alexmc

That's the answer I got I'm sure
Reply 97
Original post by fr1998
I did the new higher and I thought it was hard. They missed out big topics such as translation and transcription and most of the questions were on areas of the course that I thought wouldn't be in the exam.

I thought the same, I wouldn't mind getting a look over the paper...God knows...hope I've done enough to get a B...I ran out of time after loosing time on outlandish questions..basically bullet pointed the section Cs as quick as I could...never got to look it over, never good!
Reply 98
That's the answer I got I'm sure

Thank god! I'm so nervous about this now. Hopefully they drop the grades down a bit
Reply 99
Surely they have to drop the grades... I looked on twitter and everyone has found it very difficult.

Can't believe the lack of knowledge questions though, or the ones they put in were just obscure

Seems like they just threw all the reject questions from other years into our exam, ive never seen one like it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending